Need some radiator help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Need some radiator help

I have my radiator at a shop getting a new core but they seem to think the upper tank may have froze at one time and is now mis-shaped. The problem is they dont want to reshape it if its supposed to be that way. Here is the other problem, I have a 53 commander with a 56 President 289 in it and I dont know which radiator it has. I have some pics of the underhood of another 53 and it looks like a different radiator but its a little hard to tell. I was hoping someone might be able to take some pics of a 53 Commander rad and a 56 President rad so I can show the shop. I just need pics of the top tank area. Any help wpould be greatly appreciated.

If you could make it to La Palma tomorrow I would give you one.

Comment

Thanks, if only it wasn't 2,400 miles away.

Comment

Does anyone have any idea if there are any websites that may have good pictures?

Comment

I have 2 laying on the ground but nothing in a car to take pics. of. Both are slightly different, shape wise at the tanks even though they both came out of 53K's. If you want I could put up pics.

Comment

[QUOTE=53commander;649070]I have my radiator at a shop getting a new core but they seem to think the upper tank may have froze at one time and is now mis-shaped. The problem is they dont want to reshape it if its supposed to be that way./QUOTE]

If it looks like someone threw an M80 in it and quickly reinstalled the cap, it's supposed to look that way.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

[QUOTE=Jerry Forrester;649481]
              Originally posted by 53commander View Post
              I have my radiator at a shop getting a new core but they seem to think the upper tank may have froze at one time and is now mis-shaped. The problem is they dont want to reshape it if its supposed to be that way./QUOTE]

If it looks like someone threw an M80 in it and quickly reinstalled the cap, it's supposed to look that way.
              That is a better description than I could ever come up with <G>. If the guy is only used to modern radiators, it will look strange to him. I am surprised that someone can not come up with the requested pictures (I can't).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

[QUOTE=studegary;649523]
                Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post

That is a better description than I could ever come up with <G>. If the guy is only used to modern radiators, it will look strange to him. I am surprised that someone can not come up with the requested pictures (I can't).
                Here's a pic. Not very good though.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

The parts manuals are full of pictures of the correct parts and the pictures were drawn by professionals when the parts were new.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                    I have 2 laying on the ground but nothing in a car to take pics. of. Both are slightly different, shape wise at the tanks even though they both came out of 53K's. If you want I could put up pics.
                    That would help thanks!

[QUOTE=Jerry Forrester;649481]
                    Originally posted by 53commander View Post
                    I have my radiator at a shop getting a new core but they seem to think the upper tank may have froze at one time and is now mis-shaped. The problem is they dont want to reshape it if its supposed to be that way./QUOTE]

HaHa and thanks for the pic it will definetly help

[QUOTE=studegary;649523]
                    Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post

This guy builds custom rads for most everything but you're right antiques aren't his specialty.
                    Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                    The parts manuals are full of pictures of the correct parts and the pictures were drawn by professionals when the parts were new.
                    Wow never thought to look in the parts manual Thanks, now I have to dig around to see if I have it.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

Comment

Even with these pics. it is hard to see, but the tanks are bulged out for about 2/3rds of the center front and rear.

Comment

Mine appears to be pretty straight. Could be, at some point, it was repaired and straightened. I don't think it should be a concern if it is sealed and functioning properly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280111.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1674479Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280113.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1674480Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280109.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1674481Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280110.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1674482Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280112.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1674483
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

here is a picture of the one in my 53 coupe.

Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Thanks for all the great pictures, they will all definetly help out

Comment

Heres my radiator, is it safe to say its the original '53?

Comment

Working...
                              X