Dana 44 TT: Worth saving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 TT: Worth saving?

At the advice of a couple local Stude experts, I am planning to take Grandpa's old Lark Hardtop to the scrapper in the next week or two (unless someone out there wants a project car). I've got most everything of use to me off the car, but I keep looking at his rear axle and questioning whether I should keep it or just let it go. It's a Dana 44 with twin traction, and it's in pretty good shape. I checked the differential for fluid levels a while back, and it's still full to the top, with no signs of leakage. During one move we had to pull it with a tow dolly, and at least from 30 feet away, it didn't sound like it makes any noise. The brakes need a complete rebuild, and there's surface rust, but aside from that it seems solid.

Is it worth saving? My other 60 just has a little 27 in it, and my '63 has a 44 with TT that leaks quite a bit. I'm trying to weigh effort vs. cost in time and dollars if I just let this one go and bought a new one when I needed it. Let me know your opinions.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Wish I had that decision lol!
    I'd love nothing more than to get my hands on a 44TT, even a tapered axle model, and turf my 27. Heck, I'd pay freight to get one! Save having to adapt a Ford diff...

Comment

Listen to those wise ones, save it. If I had a more pressing project for its use I'd buy it. Let's see if someone steps up and needs it if not, let's talk.
      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

I am interested in the TT rear. Are you by any chance going to the Nationals in SB?
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Just remember if you go from a 27 to a 44 rearend your looking at a different driveshaft as well .
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

In other words if you don't plan on keeping it : DON'T SCRAP IT !
            Someone wants it !
            It's valuable enough to find a new home easily.
            What's the gear ratio ?
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I agree, don't let that 44TT go to the scrap yard. There are folks out there looking for these.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                Just remember if you go from a 27 to a 44 rearend your looking at a different driveshaft as well .
                U bolts and plates as well

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Yes save it and the driveshaft too!

Joe
                  sigpic

1962 Daytona
                  1964 Cruiser
                  And a few others

Comment

You're all confirming my thoughts: pull it and keep it. Another question: is there any value to the frame itself? It's a hardtop, so its a heavier duty frame. The front body supports are shot and the "batwing" crossmember is bent from a jacking accident, but aside from that, it's solid, just surface rust.

I'm trying to get anything of use/value off this car. It makes me sick to have grandpa's lark crushed, so the more parts I can get to cars that can use them, the better.

Comment

any pics of the car in general so that we, as a community, can see what we can save to ease your mind?
                      1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Sean,

I plan on rolling her out into the sun over the memorial day weekend to get a good look at what's left. I'll take a pile of pics then, and let anyone who sees something useful point it out. In the mean time, if you go to this link at my blog, it will show you all the posted tagged in the restoration journal. The most recent ones are from my sedan project, but everything older than the post titled "My Barn Find" will be about grandpa's sedan. I've taken some pictures and video, but at the time I was still acting under the assumption that I'd try to save the car, so there aren't a lot of wide angle "appraisal" shots as much as there are shots that focus on the problems being addressed.

Edit: I added another category to the blog to single out cars individually. Here's a link to everything related to the Hardtop.
                        Last edited by JimC; 05-22-2012, 10:15 AM. Reason: added new link

Comment

I drove 200 miles one way and loaded up a '60 Lark VIII wagon that was so rusty it nearly broke in half before we got it on the trailer just for the Dana 44 TT and Delco window distributor. As stated by others, "YES" save it along with the spring plates and driveshaft.

Comment

I could use the spring plates and U-bolt for the Dana 44 TT I am throwing into my 63 Lark Convertible. I could use the driveshaft as well if you did not live so far away.

Allen
                            1964 GT Hawk
                            PSMCDR 2014
                            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                            PSMCDR 2013
                            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Working...
                            X