What is it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it??

Not known to me. If it is really valuable however you are forbidden to bid on it!
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

some sort of wierd babbit bearing mold?
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Lucky horse shoe
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think the starting bid is too high.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Two questions:
          1) What is the diameter?
          2) Is the cross-section of the material solid or is there a hollow/indented surface underneath?

...not that it would help me figure it out, but it might make for slightly more educated guessing.
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

It's hard to judge the size (diameter) from the photo.

Could it be a tool to remove/insert rear main bearing seals (or something similar to that)?

It looks like about the right shape and has what appears to be a directional arrow.

Anyway, that's my guess.
            Dan Peterson
            Montpelier, VT
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Depending on the diameter of the object, perhaps the backside is formed to accept a front coil spring and it is a spring booster to compensate for worn springs. (Before anyone says it, yes, a used car dealer might be the first to suggest that! )

Obviously, the dimensions and backside of the object would be determining factors, and neither specification seems to be listed. The fact that a pair is being sold might help validate that theory, but who knows? BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It looks like a very large and thick spring clip. The arrow might mean that is could be used on a Pierce-Arrow auto.

Comment

It is aluminum and I bought mine years ago advertised as a 'advertising horseshoe'. It appears that the ends of this one have been 'removed' or squared off. Mine are rounded and closed. At the widest point, it is 5-3/4". stupak
                  Last edited by stupak; 05-22-2012, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Bob's right. Coil spring booster. Backside is concave for spring seat.

Comment

Working...
                    X