PDA

View Full Version : 62 Lark intake/exhaust manifold questions

58PackardWagon
07-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Working on my 62 Lark 6 cyl. Heat riser was stuck. When purchasing the part, I go both the exhaust and intake manifolds along with the heat riser as one. I have removed all of the old parts off of the motor. I have cleaned up the areas where the new gaskets go with a razor blade very, very well. In putting the new manifold gasket on and the gasket to the exhaust pipe, do I need to apply any sealant? Please advise, thank you.

58 Packard Wagon (Parade Red)
58 Packard Wagon (Park Green)
58 Packard Hardtop
58 Packard Sedan
57 Packard Wagon
62 Daytona
63 Lark Custom 2 Door Sedan R2

JDP
07-13-2007, 12:09 AM
No.

JDP/Maryland
64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
64 GT R2
63 GT R2
63 Lark 2 door
59 3E truck
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

DEEPNHOCK
07-13-2007, 10:17 PM
You should check the mounting flanges for each runner of the intake manifold on a straight flat surface (or with a good straight edge).
These manifolds tend to warp a bit between the intake runners and the exhaust runners.
That makes the gaskets on the 'low' runners see less gasket squish pressure, and an increased chance of an intake leak...
I spent $75 having one machined flat to get it to work right without leaking.
The next one bench checked out high and low on opposing runners too. I took a belt sander to he high runners (carefully, mind you;)) and the manifold fit beautifully and worked superbly...
Cost? 16 ounces of cold adult beverage pleasure....
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 58PackardWagon

Working on my 62 Lark 6 cyl. Heat riser was stuck. When purchasing the part, I go both the exhaust and intake manifolds along with the heat riser as one. I have removed all of the old parts off of the motor. I have cleaned up the areas where the new gaskets go with a razor blade very, very well. In putting the new manifold gasket on and the gasket to the exhaust pipe, do I need to apply any sealant? Please advise, thank you.