No announcement yet.

Speedometer adapter for Tremec TKO to stock Stewart Warner Speedo cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Speedometer adapter for Tremec TKO to stock Stewart Warner Speedo cable

The Tremec TKO 600 that was installed into my 63 Resto-mod avanti came from Liberty Gear but they do not sell the speedometer adapters. The TKO 600 I am using is a GM application mounted to a Stude GM pattern bellhousing for the Borg Warner T-10. My stock SW speedometer was a 140 MPH factory speedometer that was refurbished with a 160 MPH faceplate. I know the number of teeth on the speedometer gear is a function of wheel diameter (26.85" for 215/70/15) and my rear end ratio which is 3.73.

Does anyone who has done the Tremec 5 speed conversion in an avanti know where I can order a speedometer cable adapter to connect speedometer to Tremec trans and request the correct number of gear teeth to get close to the right speed reading?

Thanks, John

P.S. - the rebirth of R2386 is about 1 month away now from coming home. She will be at South Bend International Meet for everyone to see.
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

confused here...why do you need an adapter...are the cable ends different from factory to TKO? ...if so, why not just get a new cable made? or do you mean you want an adapter box to change ratios ? in that case why not just get a new pinion gear to put in the TKO? either way, in my case it was cheaper for me to get a new cable made and get a different pinion gear, although I have neither a TKO, nor an avanti. i'm surprised liberty gear can't point you in the right direction. my local speedometer shop had no problems helping me out. Please post lotsa photos of your avanti when it's done, its such a cool build. Regards, Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Junior thanks for the reply. We need the adapter box to install a pinion gear with the right amount of teeth so that we can match speedo as close as possible to the actual speed. The Tremec we purchased has outlets for either cable driven speedo or digital speedo. We were just surprised that Liberty Gear which is one of Tremec's premium distributors didn't carry the adapters.
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386

Comment

Is this what you are after, something that looks like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEWART-WARN...sories&vxp=mtr
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

These guys have the adapter to run a mechanical speedometer with a Tremec and various driven gears...

http://www.campbellgeartech.com/

You can use a program like this...

http://www.bgsoflex.com/speedo1.html

...to determine which gear is needed for your tire size/rear end ratio.

Any speedometer shop can make you up a cable with the correct ends.

I'm a little confused on your speedometer, however. Did you JUST replace the face, or has the speedometer mechanism been re calibrated to the new face also? Is the odometer still 1,000 turns/mile?
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

My original 140 MPH Speedometer along with other instruments was refurbished by Williamson's Instrument service in Chester, AR. Since my resto-mod is converting my R1 over to an R2+ we sent a 160 MPH faceplate along with the speedometer and asked them to recalibrate it as a 160 MPH speedometer.
            sigpic
            John
            63R-2386

Comment

Working...
            X