Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrigley Field, Can anyone identify this car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrigley Field, Can anyone identify this car?

In an article about Wrigley Field they had this photo. Can anyone identify the car on the left?

sigpic

Looks like a '37 Ford

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 05-15-2012, 05:51 PM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The one in the photo is a 37, but Deepnhocks photo is a 1938.
      Klif
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
        The one in the photo is a 37, but Deepnhocks photo is a 1938.
        Klif
        Deepnhocks is a 38 Standard which did look a lot like a 37 Deluxe.

BTW, the 38 Standard is my favorite fat fendered Ford. The grill comes back into the hood sides similar to a 37 Stude.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

You know your old when you look at the picture and your mind says 37 Ford with hardly a glance.

I'll bet you put a 2012 Ford Focus in the picture to replace the 37 and I couldn't tell you what it was.

I'm partial to 39 Standards as this one left to become an 83 Avanti.

Bob

Comment

I see lake plugs on that coupe. Whats on the sides of the hood and under the hood ?
            Klif
            55 Speedster/Street Machine
            63 Avanti R2
            64 Convertible R1

Comment

I see lake plugs on that coupe. Whats on the sides of the hood and under the hood ?
              Klif
              Klif

The sides of the hood are the OEM louvers and stainless trim. The sun glare makes them look more dominate than they are.

Power is a modestly rebuilt 305 SBC tied to the original drive line, totally rebuilt. It would run on cruise control all day on the expressway at legal speeds. The weak link was the brakes. They stopped it but not like a modern car.

I always wanted an Avanti and found one at the right price so ----!!

Thanks for asking, The 39 is still a fond memory. Bob

Comment

The Ford in question, a 1937 tudor, is like one I had in 1966 and showed at the Illinois State Fair.
                Nice car, but those mechanical brakes left a lot to be desired.

Comment

I just grabbed a pic off Google... It was labeled wrong.
                  Y'all know I am never wrong about stuff
                  Jeff

The one in the photo is a 37, but Deepnhock's photo is a 1938.
                  Klif
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Its a 37 Ford Flatback sedan, they also made a humpback. Could also of had the V-8 60hp a smaller version of the regular flathead. Remember my daddy saying that they had to back up steep hills.

CID Bore " Stroke " Comp. HP@RPM Torque@RPM Model

221 3.0625 3.750 6.2:1 85@3800 78
                    (1)

221 3.0625 3.750 7.5:1 94@3800 78
                    (2)

136 2.60 3.20 60@ 74

(1) Aluminum heads (2) Cast iron heads
                    221CID uses Stromberg 97, 136CID uses Stronberg 81 carb.

A new, smaller, V8 enters production. Called the V8-60, it gives 70 mph speeds and the best gas mileage of any Ford built before. It is designed for European laws that tax on displacement, as well as British laws that tax on bore size. Important to racing history because it will break the Offy's hold on midget racing. The V8-60 has a gear type oil pump driven off the crank timing gear. The V8-60's heads use 17 studs, not the 21 studs of the larger V8. For this year only, the little V8 has sheet metal sides on the block. The V8-85 gets a larger, relocated water pump, larger insert main bearings, and new cast alloy-steel domed pistons.

1939 Ford Flathead V8-60 Marine engine, .060 over aluminum pistons, full race cam, Edelbrock heads and dual intake, with two 97's.
                    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

[QUOTE=clonelark;646705]A new, smaller, V8 enters production. Called the V8-60, it gives 70 mph speeds and the best gas mileage of any Ford built before. It is designed for European laws that tax on displacement, as well as British laws that tax on bore size. Important to racing history because it will break the Offy's hold on midget racing. The V8-60 has a gear type oil pump driven off the crank timing gear. The V8-60's heads use 17 studs, not the 21 studs of the larger V8. For this year only, the little V8 has sheet metal sides on the block. The V8-85 gets a larger, relocated water pump, larger insert main bearings, and new cast alloy-steel domed pistons.

"During WWII I recall riding in the back seat of my uncle's 1937 V8 60. We always carried a jug of water because it over-heated, constantly. My dad commented that he didn't like it nearly as much as our 1936 Chevy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_67ra...eature=related[/QUOTE)]
                      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Working...
                      X