Speedster history question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedster history question

I know in the early part of 55 production the V8 displacment went to 224 before increasing to 259. Did any Speedsters leave the factory equipped with a 224?
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

The 224 was a truck only engine.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I could be wrong on this, but I thought that initially only the '55 Commanders were equipped with the 224 but the Presidents all had 259s from the beginning. Early in the production year (December?) the Commanders got the 259 and the 224 was dropped in cars, only to be used in trucks. If I'm wrong on this, I'm sure someone will be quick to correct me.

Dave Bonn
      '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
        I could be wrong on this, but I thought that initially only the '55 Commanders were equipped with the 224 but the Presidents all had 259s from the beginning. Early in the production year (December?) the Commanders got the 259 and the 224 was dropped in cars, only to be used in trucks. If I'm wrong on this, I'm sure someone will be quick to correct me.

Dave Bonn
        '54 Champion Starliner
        I think you're right Dave. I do remember talk of early Commanders having the little V8.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have asked this before but don't remember a satisfactory answer. Why did Studebaker want to build a 224, the 232 was too big?
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Thank you, guys. I have read the Fred Fox article on 55s and remember he stated the 232 went to 224 for the first few months of production and then went to the 259. My Commander is a late production with the 259, but at last night's cruise in, an SDC member told me 55s should have been a 224...he said he'd had two Speedsters so should know. I couldn't believe Stude would market a car called the Speedster with a downsized engine.

Comment

For cars, at the beginning of the 1955 model year, Commanders used the 224 and Presidents (including Speedsters) used the 259. By mid-model year, all V8 cars were 259s.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Dave,

If you go to the SDC home page under tech tips, specs, etc, there is a listing of all of the engine serial numbers with the engine size. Speedsters all had 259s originally.

However, everyone seems to know that the 289s were made by Ford. I'm afraid your Speedster "expert" may be a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Comment

LOL. Thanks, Paul. You know the man. BTW my S.I. order is in and I should have a 55 tail light lens for you. Cheers.

Comment

Nobody has ever produced documents that shed light on the 224's development and mid-year disfavor - at least, I've never seen such. Certainly, such documentation existed in '55. I have wondered how they peddled the change to dealers at the time. Of course, there's been stuff written of a speculative nature and likely some of that is close (if not right on) to the truth. Maybe it was as simple as them trying to offer a less powerful V8 for the Commander line, while using the 259 for the President series. It could be a mix of factors, including power AND economy that led to ditching the 224.
                    BTW, the 224 DID continue on in trucks for 1956. Cars - for '56 - used 259s or the newly minted 289s. Maybe - with the trucks - they were just trying to use up 224 cranks and pistons in doing so.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think Studebaker was playing catch-up early in the '55 model year. The Ford V-8 was a 272 and the new Chevy V-8 was a 265. Maybe theStude. bosses feared people would think the 224 was too small compared to the other 2 engines. They also revamped the sedans with wrap-around windshields about the same time as the engine change.

Same thing with Plymouth, who fielded their first V-8 car for '55. The first ones were 241 cubic inch. Very early in the model year the size was increased to a 260 cid.

Of course, like Bob said, ther's a lot of speculation about all this, and what I'm saying is just speculation too.

FWIW, I've heard that the 224 was actually a better performer than the 232.

Dave Bonn
                      '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

To: Blue 15G,------ Yes, the 224 should have been able to run circles around the 232 since it had all the improvements made in '55 for the 259, but with 35 less cubes.

Comment

I think I have a road test on a 55 with a 224. I will see if I can dig it out.

Comment

[QUOTE... Same thing with Plymouth, who fielded their first V-8 car for '55. The first ones were 241 cubic inch. Very early in the model year the size was increased to a 260 cid.[/QUOTE]

I had a 1955 Plymouth V8 Belvedere and I do not recall the displacement. I was told that Plymouth used a Dodge V8 in 1955 and was ready with their own in 1956. Not sure if that story was correct.
                            "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Bob, the 1955 Dodge V-8s were 270 cubic inches. The '55 Plymouth engines weren't Dodge engines per se, but what happened at the time was the new V-8 in the Plymouth was so popular that the Plymouth engine plant couldn't build enough of them, so many were made at the Dodge engine plants, until the situation stabilized in '56. (Trying to stay with Studebaker content on this thread but I'm not succeeding too well, LOL).

Flashback, it would be interesting to see the original 224 Stude. V-8 test.

Dave Bonn
                              '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Working...
                              X