PDA

View Full Version : 56 front fender

KGlowacky
07-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Went to the body shop today to get a look at the progress of my wagon(looks good). The bodyman and I noticed something we are not sure is correct. I have two NOS front fenders. The pass is on and the question is , How does the front rear wheel opening suppose to look. Mine has a small flair from the door jam to the opening. I know there is a flair built into the fender (with the fender eyebrow) but it seems to kinda flair some more. Is this correct or did this fender over the years get bent. I can run my eyes and hands down the entire bottom side over the quarters ans door and when I get about 4 inches from the wheel opening it flairs out slightly. Any thoughts. I don't remenber any sort of support rod that would pull it in. Thanks.

StudeRich
07-12-2007, 10:05 PM
It is a little hard to understand what part of the front fender you are talking about, but I went outside and checked both the '56 Sedan fenders we just got from Mr. Biggs and my '57 Pelham Wagon and they both have a giant sweep that starts just under the headlight and the lower part of the fender below that sweeping curve bulges out wider all the way over the wheelwell and down on a 45 degree angle to the door edge at the rocker panel. I do not see how a fender could get bent in that area because of the body crease it is very strong. If it does not match your old one, then it is a reject or damaged unit.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

KGlowacky
07-13-2007, 09:26 AM
I am going to wait and see what the other side looks like. If need be I will post a picture. Thanks.