6 Volt battery charge problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 6 Volt battery charge problem

Have never seen this before ---Brought my 54 Commander out of 10 months storage, connected the battery, it started fine and ran fine to my house where it sat for about 6 hours and the battery, which was less than a year old, died. OK no problem, hooked up the charger and it charged full for about 2 minutes when the needle started a rapid bounce back and forth from no charge to full charge. I've never seen this before, hooked it up to another 6 volt battery and the needle stayed on steady charge so it's not the charger. Is the battery shorted out? Ken Deltaville, Va

Sounds like an internal short in the battery. Should be covered by warranty, if it's only a year old.

Comment

If the battery sat for 10 months without use and without being on a maintenance charger, it is probably toast.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

It sounds like a battery failure to me. If the battery hasn't been charged or kept on a maintainer, it's probable that the plates in the battery are sulphated to the point of not allowing the battery to accept a charge. Bud

Comment

can you test the battery with a load tester and a hydrometer just for kicks and see what you have?
          not to make a stupid comment but you are sure you have the polarity of the charger correct? I've mixed it up myself.
          If the battery started the car once after sitting 10 months i have to wonder if it still might be good.
          On the other hand if it is only 10 months old they won't pro-rate it much on the warranty and you can get a fresh one for almost zilch and start over
          1947 M5 under restoration
          a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
            can you test the battery with a load tester and a hydrometer just for kicks and see what you have?
            not to make a stupid comment but you are sure you have the polarity of the charger correct? I've mixed it up myself.
            If the battery started the car once after sitting 10 months i have to wonder if it still might be good.
            On the other hand if it is only 10 months old they won't pro-rate it much on the warranty and you can get a fresh one for almost zilch and start over
            thanks, i'm going to take it in in the morning and see what the shop owner says, it's an Interstate so it's a good manufacturer. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Comment

Working...
            X