May TW, Page 35, '37 President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May TW, Page 35, '37 President

"After enjoying ownership, the car passed on to acquaintances on Long Island." After reading the article and seeing the sentence quoted, I remember that car at one of the earlier SDC LI Chapter Meets. I was the Registration Chairman and remember sitting in the backseat and using the fold out desk to organize the data for the meet. If my memory serves me, the car belonged to Arthur and Bea Hartigan. If anyone can confirm this please post. Thanks.
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Originally posted by FlatheadGeo View Post
    "After enjoying ownership, the car passed on to acquaintances on Long Island." After reading the article and seeing the sentence quoted, I remember that car at one of the earlier SDC LI Chapter Meets. I was the Registration Chairman and remember sitting in the backseat and using the fold out desk to organize the data for the meet. If my memory serves me, the car belonged to Arthur and Bea Hartigan. If anyone can confirm this please post. Thanks.
    Yes, George, I can confirm this.
    I also remember the car (surprise) from a couple of Hudson Valley Chapter meets.
    Hartigans were the last known owners of the car. They resided in Huntington, NY (on the north shore of LI).
    I know Bruce Earlin, the article's author. We have exchanged e-mails on this. Neither of us have been able to track down the Hartigans.
    The Hartigans are no longer listed in either the SDC or the AOAI Rosters.
    I mention AOAI, because Bea Hartigan purchased new the first "square" headlight Avanti sold to the public. She later got the front damaged and repaired it with round headlights. The last that I knew, she still owned this Avanti.
    Art Hartigan worked as a stock broker at the NY Stock Exchange in NYC.
    Is that enough from my memory, George <G>?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I knew that I could count on you, Gary!!! Thanks, CRS has not completely set in--yet!!

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by FlatheadGeo View Post
        I knew that I could count on you, Gary!!! Thanks, CRS has not completely set in--yet!!
        My father's memory was good until he was 103. I hope to come close to that <G>. What do you mean, "completely"?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          My father's memory was good until he was 103. I hope to come close to that <G>. What do you mean, "completely"?
          "LIKE"

Jim
          sigpic
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jims53 View Post
            "LIKE"

Jim
            I am sorry, but I do not get your message/point. Please explain it.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I am sorry, but I do not get your message/point. Please explain it.
              Gary, Just thought it was nice your father lived to 103, most of my family (parents, grand parents and great grand parents) didn't make 60...

jim
              sigpic
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jims53 View Post
                Gary, Just thought it was nice your father lived to 103, most of my family (parents, grand parents and great grand parents) didn't make 60...

jim
                Thanks for the explanation. He lived past 103 (1902-2006). His two brothers, two sisters and my sister all died in their 50s or 60s. My father was the exception. So far, I am doing okay. I try to keep check on things. I have been treated for cancer. I had a colonoscopy yesterday.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary,

I can go into a room to get something and then can not remember what I went in for! Another time I went in to see the Principal, asked if I could shut her office door, sat down, she sat down and said well....I drew a complete blank. She understood me and said to come back when I remembered. This, I think, qualifies as "not completely!" Or, I go to the store and come out and think that my car has been stolen. Nope, just looking for the car that I left home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X