Preventing rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Preventing rust

It's too bad that "back in the day" car manufacturers paid so little attention to preventing rust. They painted the visible parts, true, but did little or nothing to stop rust where it really starts - on the backside of body panels, inside doors and inside frame rails. Think about it: the outside of a door got cleaned, phosphated, primed and painted. The owner kept it more or less clean, and it dried quickly when wet.

But inside those unseen areas, dirt accumulated, got wet and stayed wet.

Dealers offered "undercoating", but, again, it was just applied to the easy visible surfaces. The deep dark recesses were left to fester in their near perfect rust causing environment.

Today many of those old cars are rusted beyond repair, and yet another $50 spent at the factory build would have saved many of them.

Today, those old cars are being restored, old rust cut out, and new metal welded in, but it's no better than what the factories did. In most cases, the unseen areas are left without any attempt at rust prevention.

So, if you have a car which is not yet suffering from serious rust, or which has had major rust repair done, what to do?

For a few hours of your time, and a few dollars, you can rust proof those areas yourself. It will take some thought, maybe some disassembly, like removing trim panels, maybe in a few cases, even drilling some small access holes, but you can do the job. If a surface isn't painted, rust proof it.

What to use for rust preventive?

Here's a DIY formula which I came upon many years ago, and which is said to do a good long term job of preventing rust:

3 quarts of mineral spirits plus one quart of used motor oil, into which is dissolved a half pound of bees wax. Spray, squirt, brush onto the backside of every non painted panel, and inside frame rails, hog troughs and the like. A pump up garden sprayer would be handy, but use whatever works for the area at hand, squirt oil cans, brushes, turkey basters, whatever. Pay special attention to lap joints to get liquid to soak into them.

A messy job, and it will drip for a few days, but, compared to cutting and welding in new metal.....
    Last edited by jnormanh; 05-09-2012, 01:39 PM.

That recipe sounds interesting. I've used Permatex Rust Treatment in the past to kill the rust, then I coat it with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, and sometimes topcoat it with enamel. RRMP unlike other primers, is impervious to water. I've sprayed metal piece with RRMP over a decade ago, and they haven't rusted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rusttreatment_0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1674357
    Last edited by rrausch; 05-09-2012, 09:07 PM. Reason: add picture
    1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
    1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
    Robert Rausch

Comment

This sounds really good. I would say it'll do the job fine. thanks for the recipe. cheers jimmijim
      Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
      It's too bad that "back in the day" car manufacturers paid so little attention to preventing rust. They painted the visible parts, true, but did little or nothing to stop rust where it really starts - on the backside of body panels, inside doors and inside frame rails. Think about it: the outside of a door got cleaned, phosphated, primed and painted. The owner kept it more or less clean, and it dried quickly when wet.

But inside those unseen areas, dirt accumulated, got wet and stayed wet.

Dealers offered "undercoating", but, again, it was just applied to the easy visible surfaces. The deep dark recesses were left to fester in their near perfect rust causing environment.

Today many of those old cars are rusted beyond repair, and yet another $50 spent at the factory build would have saved many of them.

Today, those old cars are being restored, old rust cut out, and new metal welded in, but it's no better than what the factories did. In most cases, the unseen areas are left without any attempt at rust prevention.

So, if you have a car which is not yet suffering from serious rust, or which has had major rust repair done, what to do?

For a few hours of your time, and a few dollars, you can rust proof those areas yourself. It will take some thought, maybe some disassembly, like removing trim panels, maybe in a few cases, even drilling some small access holes, but you can do the job. If a surface isn't painted, rust proof it.

What to use for rust preventive?

Here's a DIY formula which I came upon many years ago, and which is said to do a good long term job of preventing rust:

3 quarts of mineral spirits plus one quart of used motor oil, into which is dissolved a half pound of bees wax. Spray, squirt, brush onto the backside of every non painted panel, and inside frame rails, hog troughs and the like. A pump up garden sprayer would be handy, but use whatever works for the area at hand, squirt oil cans, brushes, turkey basters, whatever. Pay special attention to lap joints to get liquid to soak into them.

A messy job, and it will drip for a few days, but, compared to cutting and welding in new metal.....
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I'm concerned with too bringing a rust free Cal car to NJ. What you describe sounds like Waxoyl which is used on the UK on Landrovers. So where do you suggest access holes? I'm going to do this

Comment

Back in "those days" <G> the manufacturers were NOT concerned of the corrosion problem. The sooner your car rusted out, the sooner you'd be back in the showroom to buy another one! <G> But, now that a lot of cars cost more than a house, it takes a longer time to pay it off.
          The new cars are dipped in an etch primer or "E coat" that gets into all the nooks and crannies and helps prevent corrosion. Anything that the consumer does to increase that protection, will help quite a bit. ie: Ziebart, although I do NOT agree with them drilling holes in the door shells and 1/4 jams, their system does work.
          On any older car, clean it up, and "mop on" some type of corrosion paint (POR 15, Chassis Saver etc) and hose out the areas that tend to collect salt, dirt, leaves etc. The more you do to prevent it, the better you will be.
          There are VERY few collision shops that will do rust repair, without replacing the whole panel.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Hey, out of curiousity, what exactly WAS that undercoating they used on Studebakers made from? Besides being totally useless for preventing rust, it's also a pain in the neck to get off.
            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I have heard that new art works well in seams.
              Dwayne Jacobson

Comment

I meant to say automatic transmission fluid. Auto correct on this phone sucks
                Dwayne Jacobson

Comment

Anytime I've ever torn into an old car, the areas that were covered in blow-by residue from the road draft tube, or areas where oil leaked onto them were always pristine under the coating of grime. In the Northeast there are guys at garages who do "oil spraying". Every year you take your car in and they put it on a rack and spray oil all over the under side, then you go for a drive on a dirt road. It works great if you don't mind the layer of greasy grime.
                  1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
                  1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
                  Robert Rausch

Comment

There are a lot of ways to RP your vehicle. Aside from the standard grease coat, there are many protective coatings out there, you could have your frame dipped in zinc phosphate, prime coated, use spray converter coat and there are even automotive "reverse oxidation" products you can apply right to the rust to turn it into a primer coat. Then there ar ethe standars... Moly spray, oil spray, etc...

So I guess, it really depends what your intentions are... RPing a clean metal piece or simply arresting developing rust where it is.

I also need to add... it depends greatly on what you want to do with the part once it is coated. If you ever intend to paint, certain RPs would be eliminated as they wouldn't hold a prime or base.

Comment

I bought Classic Enterprises' inner fender kits, then rustproofed and get it oiled once a year. Spent too much money to let the rust get it again. If you're gonna drive it, may as well save it, too.
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

dyac.com. Your auto correct is nuthin'!

(I love my dumb phone)

Originally posted by studebaker56j View Post
                        I meant to say automatic transmission fluid. Auto correct on this phone sucks
                        Ron Dame
                        '63 Champ

Comment

In Sweden there's loads of folx who know about this & do what they can, both good & less good solutions...
                          I allways found as-thick-as-possible grease the best, brushed on with a soft brush.
                          The thing with grease is that it doesn't dry out like oil & it's thick enough to stand up against most water & dirt for quite some time, & dust from country roads makes it stick even better!
                          But yeah, you need to look it over once a year or so to see if you missed somewhere...
                          I had a -62 Savoy in -94 & that car was the first car I did a full grease-trick on & the car is still today in use & still good under, 3 owners later.
                          But on the other hand: it doesn't win you any prices on shows...

The one thing to be serious about whatever you decide to do is to (apart from cleaning it real good) make sure the metal is warm & dry because steal can actually keep moist, even just a little bit & then...

Comment

Working...
                          X