63 Lark gas guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Lark gas guage

OK, so I take the (new to me) Lark down and put 10 gallons of fuel in it. Was registering about 1/8 tank. Being a 18 gallon tank, the guage should be reading at least half. But its only come up to 1/4 tank. What should I look at to diagnose the problem? All the other guages in the instrument are reading normally.

The arm on the sending unit in the tank could be stuck due to rust, dirt or corrosion. Disconnect the wire at the tank unit, ground it to metal, turn key on and observe gauge, if it goes to full, tank unit has a problem. Do not leave wire grounded very long with key on! If gauge does not move either wiring or gauge has a problem.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Could it also be an additional ground? I know that my 64 has an extra grounding wire around the gas line touching the frame. Not much, just a loop around the line and up ot eh frame. Like a hanger type wire. Don't know if yours needs it or would help.

Mark

Comment

I had a similar problem with my '66 and it was the tank sending unit not the gauge or grounds

Comment

Working...
        X