Q Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q Car

I just received my Turning Wheels and found a interesting advertising from Studebaker within the pages... page 10.

I love this advertisement!

"you can drive the folks to church without causing eyebrows to rise"

"ask the MAN" for the prescription:
    • The Beef
    • For Go
    • For Stop
    • For Safety - add your own roll bar or buy an Avanti (love this one)
    • For Sense
    • For Advise - write our Man Andy Granatelli

"Q= quick... and "Q" boats are potent warships disguised as innocent-looking merchantmen to fool the enemy in wartime"

Turning Wheels was a good read this morning

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

I have the only copy of that ad that I've ever seen, aside from it being printed in TW. Want it Allen?

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      I have the only copy of that ad that I've ever seen, aside from it being printed in TW. Want it Allen?
      It certainly is a pretty cool ad,... let's talk!

Allen
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I'll see if I can find it. If I do I'll bring it to South Bend.

Comment

I have one of those too, you sometimes see them on eBay. Something different from the usual ads.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I've had that ad for years but can't remember where I got it. It seemed appropriate to use in my article, so I sent it to Art Unger....glad he used it. Maybe someone can tell us which magazines or newspapers ran it. "Q Boat" or "Q Ship" is defined by Webster's as "An armed combat ship disguised as a merchant vessel to attract submarines within attack range." It dates back to 1915-1920 and I believe the term was popular in WW II, also, especially as used by the British. It's a great description of a supercharged Lark, along with the word "sleeper". That's a big reason why the first Pure Stock Drags we took the Plain Brown Wrapper to (1998) was so much fun....nobody there (except Stude guys) knew what to expect. <GGG>

George
            george krem

Comment

My copy comes from either Road and Track, Car and Driver or Motor Trend as the advertisement on the reverse is for a MG Sports Sedan.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

If I was to guess my answer is Motor Trend because that was the only car mag I bought back then. I was happy to see this in TW because I was beginning to wonder if I dreamt about "Q Ships" in a Studebaker ad.

Comment

Thanks, Harvey and John. Since you both mentioned Motor Trend, that's a likely source. It may have appeared in several mags. I wonder if the Studebaker advertising agency D'Arcy Boles produced this ad? Somebody had a good idea in comparing a supercharged Lark to a Q Ship.

George
                  george krem

Comment

I Googled the term Q-boat yesterday when I was intrigued with this ad and came up with "a wolf in sheep's clothing". A perfect comparison for a R2 Lark!

Allen
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Good one, Allen!

GK
                      george krem

Comment

Studebaker had another neat ad out in '63 for the R-2 supercharged Larks & Hawks that referred to: R-2 supercharged MILL, four speed BOX, disc BINDERS etc. Fairly progressive lingo for 1963!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          Studebaker had another neat ad out in '63 for the R-2 supercharged Larks & Hawks that referred to: R-2 supercharged MILL, four speed BOX, disc BINDERS etc. Fairly progressive lingo for 1963!
                          Right, Ed.

Remember SDC President Tom Curtis' new mantra:

We Invented Cool! BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Larry Scott used to own one of the power shift versions of the first "Q cars". It actually had a metal ribbon attached to the body number that said "QUICK" just as you would see a 4 spd tag.

Comment

Working...
                            X