55 to 53 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 55 to 53 conversion

What is required to convert a 55 hardtop to a 53 lookalike? Can a dash from a 53 4 door commander be used in a starlite hardtop?

Dashboards are a bolt-in.

Don't have first hand experience on the front sheetmetal, but people have been doing it for years.
    Just be sure you get the correct parts, 55's had both a flat (sorta !) and a curved windshield. The 53 just had flat...get the right parts.

Mike

Comment

Hardtops and Coupes were all flat windshield. The dash from a 53 coupe should bolt into a 55. The front sheet metal should bolt on, too and S.I. has repopped 55 tail lights which give you a little more exposure than the 53's. Sounds like a fun project. Good luck.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
        Dashboards are a bolt-in.

55's had both a flat (sorta !) and a curved windshield.
        If converting a '55 hardtop (K model) to a 53 hardtop (K model), the windshields would be the same. Only the 55 sedans had both flat and curved (depending on production date). The C and K models remained the same.

Other (cosmetic) differences besides the front sheet metal and dash are bumpers, tail lights, stainless and pot metal trim, emblems/ornaments.

Here's Scott Hall's '55 Speedster with a '53 front end...

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Scott Hall used the 2dr HT two-tone scheme because He favored the 'plum' color. (I like it too) But I wonder how His car would have looked if He chose to use the traditional President Speedster two-tone scheme?

Comment

Welcome!

Dick S. covered the answer to your question quite well.

I will try to get you off on the right foot with terminology. The two door hardtop is a K body and the two door coupe is a C body. For 1953-1954, the K body hardtop is a Starliner and the C body coupe is a Starlight (not "Starlite"). For 1955, they were simply hardtop and coupe models.

I believe that you are after the appearance of a 1953 Starliner. It is much easier to turn a 1954 into a 1953 than to turn a 1955 into a 1953. Unless you have the parts, or both cars, available, I do not advise trying to locate the necessary parts to do a 1955 to 1953 conversion.

The two 1953 appearing cars in Dick S's picture started as a 1955 (left) and 1954 [IIRC] (right).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I believe the main reason someone would want to make a '53 out of a '55 is because it's so darn EXPENSIVE these days to replate that four piece pot metal grille assy correctly. I mean, they're talking THOUSANDS!!!!
              (and I don't even want to think about that gold plated "S") Then there's the larger front bumper, bumper guards, and on the President models, those cool fog lamp housings.....Big $$$$$.
              Yes, there's definitely more to it than..."I just like the look of a '53 better"

Comment

The 55 front fenders will work on the 53, but there is a slight difference on the end to accommodate the heavy 55 Chrome. I have 53 front sheet metal on my 55 President. There will have to be a slight modification made. Go for it.
                My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                sigpic
                Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Speaking of dashes, it's my understanding that the dash for all '55 models is virtually the same as the '53-'54 Champion dash. Screw holes may be different but basically the same dash.

Of course, on the '55, they forgot to mount the chrome strip from the ignition past the glove box.

But the sedan dash is not the same WIDTH as the C/K dash, therefore will not fit in the coupe or HT.
                  As I recall, the C/K is wider.

Just put a Hawk or Speedster dash in there. Confuse EVERYbody!

John
                  Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 05-06-2012, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Wow, that 55 is beautiful, and have never seen it before...did a forum search of Scott Hall and there was mention of it being a cover car for TW with a feature inside...anybody know which issue of TW? The photo of this car with Dick S beautiful 53 is a perfect example of why I have a tough time deciding which looks better on a C/K 53/54...chrome head light rims, or painted? Regards, Junior
                    sigpic
                    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

To junior,----'63-'64 GT Hawk headlamp bezels also give a '53--'54 a nice 'frenched headlight' look....as long as the car is a solid color!

Comment

Working...
                      X