PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Induction for a Studebaker

azopelnut
07-11-2007, 02:15 PM
I am restoring a 56 Powerhawk that is missing an air cleaner.
Has anyone designed a Cold air induction system for a studebaker V8(Carter four-barrel)??

skyway
07-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Your Hawk should have an opening about 1/2 way down the passenger side of the radiator support. It was originally put there to let air hit the fuel pump.

This could be the point from which you duct air up to the air cleaner. Issue is that your duct work may have to go through the triangle formed by the alt/gen/fan belt. I'd always thought of using some flexible armored 3 or 4 inch tubing. If you could find an appropriate 1960's dual horn air filter, you could fashion a convertible system using one horn for the cold air duct, and the second one for cold weather driving.

azopelnut
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
What air cleaners (from other car makers) would fit a carter four barrel? (I beleive the diameter of the mounting area is 4 1/2")

blackhawk61
07-11-2007, 04:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by azopelnut

What air cleaners (from other car makers) would fit a carter four barrel? (I beleive the diameter of the mounting area is 4 1/2")

Chev,Olds,Pontiac,Chrysler products all had Carter wcfb carbs

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q55/chevpartsman/61HawkChevypartsmanreduce.jpg
Lewisville,NC
(formerly chevpartsman)

1956 Hawk
07-11-2007, 04:35 PM
I had a cold air system on my Power Hawk for a while. My Hawk has a R3 in it though so it's a little different, but I ran 3" exhaust pipe through the gap between the frame and fender on the passenger side. The tubing then continued up to a K&N air filter mounted over the front tire. I ended up taking it off though because it made it difficult to change spark plugs.
David

http://thumb2.webshots.net/t/58/158/2/53/30/2596253300089385702FxImoa_th.jpghttp://thumb2.webshots.net/t/54/154/6/1/46/2168601460089385702KmSKeM_th.jpg

John Kirchhoff
07-11-2007, 05:28 PM
I don't know where you live at, but cold air induction doesn't work so hot in the winter...no pun intended. You'll have the carb icing up...things will run fine for a bit, then it goes to running richer and richer until it's missing and chugging. Stop, let things warm up a bit, take off and 10 miles down the road it's doing the same thing. That's why cold air inductions are used in conjunction with the vacume controlled flapper valve in the air cleaner that's connected to the metal housing surrounding the exhaust manifold. Cold intake air is good in hot weather, but hot intake air is good in cold weather.

azopelnut
07-12-2007, 12:09 AM
I live in Yuma Arizona and rarely use the heater even in winter

nels
07-12-2007, 10:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by azopelnut

I live in Yuma Arizona and rarely use the heater even in winter
Is the old Leeper auto dealership still in existance in Yuma?? They used to be a Studebaker dealership and actually were one of the few dealers that recieved an R3 Avanti.

azopelnut
07-13-2007, 11:54 AM
I have been here 11 years and never even heard that mentioned amoung the old car crowd...I will ask. With that name it would be a PR nightmare!

whacker
07-13-2007, 07:37 PM
I knew a girl in college that everyone called "leeper". Does that count?

Mike Van Veghten
07-13-2007, 08:01 PM
http://www.ramairbox.com/product.html

These guys have what you need.
The Carter, Holley, Edelbrock all have the same air cleaner base diameter.
I believe they have both dual and single snorkles. With pickup scoops and without.

I'd go with something from the grill area. The air will be a bit cooler than from just inches off the 150+ degree street in the summer.
Actually the best would be to add a Z-28 type scoop (facing backward) to the hood. BUT...I know not many want to mess up the hood line, so the grill is the next best bet. You can put where ever you think fits the best and will have the best shot at a straight stream of air.

And ya...I think it's a good idea too. My 55 wagon will get something similar.

Mike

Mike Van Veghten
07-15-2007, 01:48 AM
MIKE wrote -

quote:I always thought an R2 bonnet looks good.

While not a bad idea, it would be way too restrictive without the blower behind it "pushing" the air past.

Not saying it "won't" work...just not the most effecient way it could be done.
I happen to have been doing some air cleaner swapping in the last few weeks to see what happens. Three different air cleaners and one with two different size elements.
The plain ol 14" x 3" open element worked the best with the three I had to work with.
Best meaning...overall feel, gas milage, and spark plug color.

I'd guess most any air cleaner housing with the largest element you can get in there will work the best.

I modified an old 50's Cadillac duel opening housing to accept a 14" x 4" element. Opened the interior holes up a bit too. This will eventually go onto my 54 Conestoga once the 299 goes in.

Mike