Aggravating banjo bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Aggravating banjo bolts

What is it with banjo bolts leaking? I hate to really crank down on them for fear of breaking them off in the calipers...
    Should I get longer ones? Use some goo in the threads? Different washers than the copper ones I'm using?
    Thanks!

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
    What is it with banjo bolts leaking? I hate to really crank down on them for fear of breaking them off in the calipers...
    Should I get longer ones? Use some goo in the threads? Different washers than the copper ones I'm using?
    Thanks!
    Tom

Nope, Nope and Nope. Just be sure you are using the correct copper washer and you are using new washers each time. If mine were leaking, I'd get new washers for both sides and tighten them gently. You really don't need a lot of torque to seal them. Over-torquing can distort them. In fact, run the banjo bolts in, without the brake fittings, to see what the gap is to be sure they are not bottoming out before a seal is achieved.

If that doesn't work I'm pretty much at a loss a copper can deform to handle a lot of small irregularities better than most methods.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 05-02-2012, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Gotcha! Thanks, Bob. I'll try that today with new washers.

Comment

You may have to rotate the hose 180 degrees. There usually is an offset at the banjo end of the hose. Make sure that the hose fitting isn't contacting the caliper housing. If this has been the problem, you will find the washers tapered with non-uniform impressions on the surface.

Comment

Working...
        X