New Paint For The Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Paint For The Lark

I went to the shop today to fit the front and rear glass and took a few shots. It was the first time I had seen the car since it was dropped off. There are a few minor fixes needed before the car comes home but all should be fine in a few days. If you look closely you might be able to see what I saw plus more after I was there for the day.

It is White Sand. The door jams, trunk and engine bays were not done as it makes the car look more original this way plus if you ever saw the trunk it would be a shame to paint over such a beauty.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2012, 08:05 PM.

Leonard, the Lark is looking really great.just wondering about the front fenders,n.o.s., origional rustfree, or rusted ones repaired ?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Every fender front and rear are original, no rust repair just minor scrapes and dents from 50 years of day to day life. The worst was the rear passenger side. In fact the whole passenger side had some sort of damage from one incident, all prior to my ownership, and the rear fender was worst of all. I have a straight used one that I was going to put on it but the body shop guy said the one that was on it was not that bad and no need to pull it off for the repair. This is what the fender was like before I purchased the car, http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2509...87432881JGkCfh so I was concerned but obviously for no need. I would say this damage happened in 1969 as the service records show 26,000 miles for the first ten years and something happened, I was told a new car was purchased, and then only 3,000 miles were put on the car for the next 44 years. That is when I bought it from the estate company, who handled the original owners estate, back in 2003. Only 29,970 when it was delivered to my door. It now has just under 35,000 miles. This was not my first pick for a Studebaker Lark, as I have a liking for 64's, but was the nicest original rust free car I had seen and could not let it pass. As I was going to do my own thing to it I just wanted a solid foundation to start with. Nothing special, not a car that would be missed from any roster, no special equipment that I would be scorned for if I modified it. Just a nothing car. Plain and simple. It had nothing but potential.

Comment

Very nice!

One of my favorite years and body styles.

If you looked up "Studebaker" in the dictionary, there could well be a picture of your car. It is THE definition of Studebaker for many people.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

To: Skybolt,---- What a nice 'wet' looking paint job! My compliments to the painter!

Comment

The guy who applied the paint was moonlighting. His day job is for Acura in the design/model making department. He does the paint for the prototypes and concepts for presentation to management or so I was told. The paint sure is a thing to behold. It is a single stage and was told it should stay looking like this for as long as I take care of it. It is being done at JMC Performance just down the road from Orange County Studebaker.

Comment

Man, I want my '60 to look like that someday. What paint/formula did you go with? It looks amazing.

Maybe it was the screen playing tricks on my eyes, but all that I really picked up on was that a few of the trim holes look to have been either partially or completely closed off by the paint, and maybe I saw a couple globs that look like the paint ran from the last couple holes closest to the door on the front driver side fender. It sort of looks like a spot was missed in the rear pass fender well, but with the angle I can't really tell. Am I getting close?

In all, the paint job looks fantastic. I'll be happy when mine gets to that point. Congrats!
              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

At the time they were built, this was a twin for my car (except that mine came with an auto trans)!
                ~Matt Connor
                '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

The paint is White Sand, which is the original color. I will find out which brand he used.

The best way to spot any floors is to not so much look at the item but look into the reflections. This way one can spot the ripples, dents, bulges. They are there, believe me. That is why it is still at the shop and not at home as was planned for yesterday. You did spot the run on the door edge. Most of the thicker paint at the trim holes will be covered by the trim so no problem with those.

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                  Man, I want my '60 to look like that someday. What paint/formula did you go with? It looks amazing.

Maybe it was the screen playing tricks on my eyes, but all that I really picked up on was that a few of the trim holes look to have been either partially or completely closed off by the paint, and maybe I saw a couple globs that look like the paint ran from the last couple holes closest to the door on the front driver side fender. It sort of looks like a spot was missed in the rear pass fender well, but with the angle I can't really tell. Am I getting close?

In all, the paint job looks fantastic. I'll be happy when mine gets to that point. Congrats!

Comment

Latest update: The shop does not want to put any more time into the job as it will cost more than ts is worth them to fix all the little things. So it will come home tomorrow with a nice coat of paint over some imperfections. I am told I care too much and most people will not see them but I will every day. So I'm into it more than I wanted and maybe later it will be redone. If you see it around it will look nice but if you get closer and study the lines you will see what I see. They got half the money as a deposit and that's all they are getting so I did get it cheaper than I expected but still what did I get? A car that is one color and I must say it is a beautiful color and finish just not as straight as I wanted. Hopefully it arrives home with no other damage. Will post some pics when it's back together and with new engine. Some along the way as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X