1957 Golden Hawk Thoughts on value.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Golden Hawk Thoughts on value.

I am looking for thoughts from the group on real world/ current market/ current economy value on this car. The only information is from the photos, and knowing only that the car will run but has sat idle for 20 years, is complete, has supercharger and with the assumption that the brake and fuel systems are non working. The car is in Indiana. PS To save your time, its NOT on the internet. I took these pics.

Last edited by David; 04-28-2012, 07:59 AM.
    sigpic
    '89 Ford Festiva
    '90 Ford F250 4x4
    '18 Kia Soul
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

From what I can see it will need four fenders for sure, in addition to a complete restoration. Fair values are hard to come up with, but I would say less than $10K, as from the bare bones description given I am assuming the car will need everything, which would qualify it as a #5. Nice done ones have sold from the $35K area up to over $99K at Barrett Jackson. If you can do all of the work yourself you could easily spend over $15K. Hired out over four or more times that much.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks Frank. Yes it would need everything. I am wonder as to the "as-it -is" value.
      sigpic
      '89 Ford Festiva
      '90 Ford F250 4x4
      '18 Kia Soul

Comment

David, the floors and frame are the main item with the sale of this car, they are ones people want and if every thing is there all the better, fenders are the least of the problem if the frame and floors are bad with rust, also interior should be all there along with all the right gauges and super charger ect. if every thing original is there and frame and floors are not toast then $7500.00 is possible
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

What is the asking price?
          sigpic

Packardbakerly,
          J.D.

Comment

Rust or not, it's always nice to see an intact, original, unmolested Golden Hawk. Bring CASH and offer $3500. stop at $7000.

Comment

If $3500 would get it, I'm in Indiana, and I'll start driving around looking for it now.

Comment

If the fenders are that bad I would think the floors and trunk can't be far behind. I do restoration work and would thing a guy would have all of 10 grand in body work on it.If drive train doesn't need total rebuild a guy wouldn't want to be in it for much over $5,000. Now if you can do all the work yourself you want that model car and you plan to keep it that changes everything.

Comment

About 10 years ago I bought one like that, but without the rust for $1200, than spent 22K finishing it. (I figured I'd do it for under 10K)
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

I just went and pulled out my last issue of Old Cars Price Guide (October 2010). Price is so subjective, and as swvalcon pointed out, much depends on the buyer's desires and the seller's information and motives to sell. But, here is what OCPG said 18 months ago about a 57 GH:

#6 - $1,920
                    #5 - $5,760
                    #4 - $9,600
                    #3 - $21,600
                    #2 - $33,600
                    #1 - $48,000

These prices were before this happened:

I will bet that sale actually increased the OCPG averages since October 2010.

If we were dealing with any other Studebaker, normal Studebakering would apply. But, I'll bet the owner knows about that Barrett Jackson price, and it's been drug out of storage to try to capitalize on the momentum the 57 Golden Hawk currently enjoys. If not, we need to know if this evidently #5 car is closer to a #4 or a #6. If a little work could get it to a #4, and the fenders are the worst part of the car, I'd like to know where it is if you don't buy it. The floor and frame mean everything to it's value. And, good for you it isn't on the internet.
                    Last edited by 556063; 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Wow, I wasn't aware of that recent Barret Jackson sale. Obviously a special car and right car right buyer timing. Not typical, but super for our marque. JDP, If my memory serves me correctly, you restored and documented a 57GH a number of years ago the held the record price for ebay in the 40K range. Is that right? This car is in my home town. I have known of the car for 25 years. It only just came out of storage a few day ago. I know the owner. I haven't spoken with him for about 10 years though. I believe my Dad told me he bought it new. That could be true, but I'm not sure it is. I've only seen the car from the street though many years ago. I will know more of the details about the cars condition tomorrow. I plan to visit him about it and will take the camera. The frame and floor will get a good look. He is asking $7500. I have a '64 GT waiting for me to finish it. Also a '62 Galaxie 500XL convertible, so I think my plate is full. I may reveal the contact info and location per the owners approval. I want to check with him first.. It is a very small town and very limited exposure where it sits. I need a good home before it sits and gets too wet.
                      sigpic
                      '89 Ford Festiva
                      '90 Ford F250 4x4
                      '18 Kia Soul

Comment

Speaking of the value of a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk, how much is a similarly equipped 1957 Chevy Belair two-door hardtop worth in the same rusty condition?
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Add 15% to these numbers for a 57 Bel Air 2DHT if it has the "Power Pack". 20% if it has Fuel Injection, 25% for 2x4bbl. Deduct 10% for a 6 cyl. (From OCPG 10/2010):

6 - $3,100
                          5 - $9,300
                          4 - $15,500
                          3 - $34,880
                          2 - $54,250
                          1 - $77,500

Comment

The thing is parts are easier to find on a 57 chev, No more labor to do and cost to do body work and paint the same. But in the end car is worth at least 2-3 times as much. What gets me about the barret jackson stuff is very few cars even restored one fall in to that quality and some guy with a rusted half of a shell watches what one sells for on the speed chanel and thinks his is worth half that.
                            Last edited by swvalcon; 04-29-2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I would say based on how much we paid for ours and the condition this one is in. I wouldn't pay any more than $2000. for it. I personally wouldn't buy it at all way too much work. Been there done that. That one scares the be geezers out of me.
                              Mabel 1949 Champion
                              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                              Gus 1958 Transtar
                              The Prez 1955 President State
                              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                              Fresno,Ca

Comment

Working...
                              X