PDA

View Full Version : Bushing on '55 President Automatic Tranny

RHO
07-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Plate 119 of the Chassis Parts Manual shows a 0801-75 identified as P/N 529527 O-ring seal for a 0801-71 bushing, control shaft. This is in the Governor area of the tranny on the bottom. I have a leak at that point and it appears no o-ring is there. Is that just another drain plug that I can remove and install an O-ring or is it holding something else in place internally. And any idea how much fluid might come out from that hole....same as the side drain plug?
Thanks.

'55 Commander
'55 President

Roscomacaw
07-10-2007, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't THINK it would be a problem to remove that bushing. It appears all it does is support (act as a pivot point) for the lower end of 0801-67 (Shaft and lever), but I've NOT had one apart myself and I'm going strictly on logic.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

55studeman
07-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Um, let me get home and look at the schematic.....wait a moment, I think I have a cataloge here at work with a break down.

5 min later.
Hmm, I was looking at a parts break down in the SI cataloge, it's conflicting since it lists that P/N as a part in the Extension housing AS WELL as a O-ring seal in the brake band servos.

If I follow you correctly, you are speaking about a rather large bolt on the bottom "Left" (driver side) of the governor extension case. If so, bolt holds the bottom end of the shaft that the accelerator control linkage attaches to, which in turn moves the governor back and forth to kick down the gears during hard acceleration.

If this is the correct item, removal could be rather...dangerous, inside it holds that specified shaft and it links to the governor and it's not really attached inside, the shaft and assembly will slide apart....whether or not that happens upon removal of the bolt, I will need to look at a spare extension case I have on my shop bench (since I can't remember off hand). That item doesn't tend to leak but it could happen, usually other stuff hardens up and leaks before it comes from there.

I'll get back to you, let me go reference my cataloges and parts at home.

Best Regards,
Eric West
"The Speedster Kid"
Sunny Northern California
Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

RHO
07-11-2007, 12:07 AM
OK. I will hold off any attempt to remove it for now. I do believe it to be the culprit of up to a pint or so of fluid over two weeks.

'55 Commander
'55 President

55studeman
07-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Sorry for the delay, I was at work too late the other night but I got around to it last night.

I loosened the bolt and fiddled with the shaft. The shaft where it connects to the accelerator control linkage is welded together so it can only go up, out the top of the extension case to be removed. Also the assemble inside has a locking hex screw that binds those parts to the shaft. Hence, the bolt is a pivot point as Biggs was thinking.

In conclusion, you can loosen and remove that bottom bolt and everything inside will remain in place with no problems. The O-ring sits in a goove carved around the threads under the head of the bolt.

Good luck, should be a simple fix.

Best Regards,
Eric West
"The Speedster Kid"
Sunny Northern California
Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

RHO
07-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Great! Thanks! I may be coming back out here for more advice as I believe I have another leak from a bolt very near this bushing....it has a clamp attached to it (presumably for the original anti-creep device)and is facing into the tranny.

'55 Commander
'55 President