Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #101 (Another train load of Studebakers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the archives #101 (Another train load of Studebakers)

This photo is dated 1942 and the hand writing on the reverse side states the crates are full of army trucks, likely headed overseas. Judging by the skyline in the background this shot would have to have been taken out west of South Bend. The #1 in the background would be the body building and the #2 the power house.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

"Run for your life Mabel we are being invaded by Studebakers!"

Using the landmarks shown in this image (namely the YMCA and the church) I am sure someone native to South Bend could pinpoint the exact location of this photo (taken in c1942). These are early 6 X 4s. Note the truck on the left has the Studebaker nameplate on the radiator guard, this was only provided on the very early models. All were powered by Hercules engines and had Timken axles and as such they were "assembled" trucks. Of course the cab design was all Studebaker (modified M series) and quite distinctive. A total of 197,678 were built between 1941 and 1945. Many of the early ones went to England as part of lend-lease and many others to Russia. Still others ended up in Australia. Many that were never put into service by the army were still in the U.S. when the war ended and sold for general use trucks.
    Richard Quinn

Comment

I understand the "blackout" concept but I see one headlight, but guard for both.

Even with that lighting I guess "outdriving what you can see with your headlights" wasn't an issue with these trucks.
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1335573180

The #1 in the background would be the body building and the #2 the power house.
        Dick: Do you suppose a couple of the shorter twin stacks to the left of your #1 would have been those atop the foundry? BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great Pictures!
          Keep them coming.
          Good Roads
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

If I remember, YMCA was on the corner of Wayne and Main Streets. The picture is looking south. I took swimming lessons there in the early 50's. Jim

Comment

That's something I don't see much of these days, a unit train of gondolas(and maybe the unassembled Studebaker military trucks inside the crates too ). I don't know what the operating procedure was for Studebaker's railroad, but it looks like they're operating it in the nose forward position. N&W usually operated their diesels in this fashion, and from what I've read, it was either for safety(hit something and the engine in front of you will protect you) or it was a holdover from the steam days(the stacks are up in the front in this case) . It's a cool shot nonetheless .
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Dick: Do you suppose a couple of the shorter twin stacks to the left of your #1 would have been those atop the foundry? BP
                Bob; By my reckoning the foundry would have been off to the right (south) and out of the photo.
                Richard Quinn

Comment

By the position of the landmarks, Richard would be absolutely correct in saying that this rail photo was taken west of downtown. My guess is that this train is on what was before abandonment a Pennsylvania RR branch line that ran down to North Liberty and on down through Starke County (Knox), which would be the orange colored line heading Southwest out of South Bend on the map at the following link:

The remnants of that line are what services the New Energy ethanol plant today. The US 20/31 Bypass, built in the early 60's, was built over the line and is the approximate termination point of the line today. The curve the train is making is west of the Bypass. The bridge for the line is still on the bypass. All of this is just north of the US20/31 & SR23 interchange today.

Very close to where my former employer built their new building in 2000. Maybe just a little farther west than that, as I think most of the roadbed has been leveled into the farmland beyond what is currently used to serve the ethanol plant. The rail cars in the background would be on the Grand Trunk Line, which is still in service and runs parallel to the old NYC line past the Administration Building.
                  Last edited by 556063; 04-28-2012, 04:23 AM.

Comment

While doing research in the Studebaker Archives in 1996, I ran across a book which showed in detail how the trucks were put together for shipment. frame had drive train, axles and steering installed which tires strapped down to the bare frame. Another container had the cab and other body panels inside. I think they were basically designed to be put together with an A-frame and hand tools. Many of the trucks were shipped to the Persian Gulf, assembled, loaded with Lend-Lease equipment and then driven north into Russia - must have been some operation.

Comment

Was this "book" an internal manual meant only for reference, or was it something that might have been published for the open market?
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                        Was this "book" an internal manual meant only for reference, or was it something that might have been published for the open market?
                        Bob; If it is the one I am thinking it was printed for the the military and circulated to personnel at the assembly points.
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

In the 1940's Michighan Street was made a one-way street going South. The trucks are going North in the photo.
                          sigpic

Mike Barany

Comment

Don't you mean Michigan Street went one-way north?
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

Yes, it was Main Street that went one-way South. Michighan was (and still is ) one-way North.

Getting a little brain dead!
                              sigpic

Mike Barany

Comment

Working...
                              X