Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody ever grafted a 80's convertable top on a 63-64 Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever grafted a 80's convertable top on a 63-64 Avanti?

Just wondering???
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

The prototype convertible was converted from an existing 1982 car (serial number RQB3370). According to the TheAvanti.net website, Richard Straman made it for Stephen Blake in 1984. Stramen had lots of experience doing similar conversions on high dollar cars in the era of few factory convertibles.

Not only would you have to reinforce the body and/or frame to make up for the missing top, you might have to move the fuel tank to make room for the top well.

As they say on TV: "Don't try this at home...we're professionals.''
    Last edited by JBOYLE; 04-25-2012, 04:43 PM.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

RBG 3370 was the first 1982 Avanti.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The Avanti frame, in good condition, is probably the one Studebaker frame that wouldn't have to be reinforced as part of a convertible conversion.

Comment

What strikes me about such Avanti conversions is that if the roll bar is removed, what happens to the structural rigidity? The roll bar was put there for a reason...were any other modifications made to maintain structural integrity? The production convertibles were made on the Monte Carlo chassis, which wasn't designed as a convertible, so how was structural integrity maintained?
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

To: Gunslinger,---- How much 'structural integrity' does one have on a motorcycle?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              To: Gunslinger,---- How much 'structural integrity' does one have on a motorcycle?
              I'm not disputing what you say, but would you want a car (or motorcycle) where the frame twists? I remember years ago when working in an auto shop and had a rusted unibody Mopar roll in...when it was put on a life the doors wouldn't budge from the frame twist due to rigidity being gone. That's the lack of structural integrity I'm talking about.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

To: Gunslinger,-----Point taken.

Comment

wasn't the avanti frame based on the lark convertible frame?

wouldn't the avanti body with/without the convertible option be lighter than the lark steel bodied convertible?

if needed, couldn't a roll bar be modified, if necessary, to fit under the top?

larger sway bars underneath?

just asking...
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    What strikes me about such Avanti conversions is that if the roll bar is removed, what happens to the structural rigidity? The roll bar was put there for a reason...were any other modifications made to maintain structural integrity? The production convertibles were made on the Monte Carlo chassis, which wasn't designed as a convertible, so how was structural integrity maintained?
                    In short, IT WASN'T!!!! Having picked up a good friends 87 Convertible at the factory in March of 87, and being it's caretaker for ten plus years, I can tell you that with experience to back it up! There was even one that was in a rollover accident by a factory employee and the frame twisted up like a pretzel and the car broke in two! A fact not widely known by the public.
                    JS
                    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                      In short, IT WASN'T!!!! Having picked up a good friends 87 Convertible at the factory in March of 87, and being it's caretaker for ten plus years, I can tell you that with experience to back it up! There was even one that was in a rollover accident by a factory employee and the frame twisted up like a pretzel and the car broke in two! A fact not widely known by the public.
                      JS
                      I've been told that the late '80s convertible suffered in body rigidity...that if you put four people in one the doors won't close properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        I've been told that the late '80s convertible suffered in body rigidity...that if you put four people in one the doors won't close properly.
                        They not only did not have the x-member in the frame, they did not have hog troughs which were put there by Studebaker engineers for a reason!!!!
                        I think the late 88's and the 89's on the Caprice/Impala chassis were a little better, but still not as good as the three 85's that were built on the Stude chassis.
                        JS
                        Last edited by LarkTruck; 04-25-2012, 03:56 PM.
                        I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

i thought the question was about pre-(gm) monte carlo frames!
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                            i thought the question was about pre-(gm) monte carlo frames!
                            You're correct...it kind of wandered. Still...converting a '63 or '64 would be beyond the ability of anyone without deep pockets and lots of engineering and fabricating ability. Before ruining a Studebaker Avanti I'd rather see someone try it with a clapped out Avanti II...then they can part out the remains when they give up. It would likely be cheaper in the long run to buy an '87 or up convertible.

Comment

Actually the OP asked about making a convertible out of a 63-4 Avanti. That's a Lark 'rubber' frame. In 1970 I jacked up the front of a brand new Dodge Charger and the drivers door wouldn't open.Had to lower the car to open the door. They didn't have to be rusty to have plenty of flex. But,almost any car with a steel roof [or roll bar in the case of the Avanti] removed is going to have a lot of flex,not just a Studebaker.
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X