Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #96 (Avanti airlift 1962)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the archives #96 (Avanti airlift 1962)

Two Avantis in this shipment. Note the Avanti coveralls and hats. This was during the model intro in mid 1962 (probably June). Could look up the date but I am not motivated. Will leave it to the Avanti enthusiasts to fill in the blanks.
    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 04-24-2012, 02:34 PM.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

thank you Mr Quinn for sharing , would that be avanti in Gold ? thank you ray wise
    rawise

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
      http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1335254109

Two Avantis in this shipment. Note the Avanti coveralls and hats. This was during the model into in mid 1962 (probably June). Could look up the date but I am not motivated. Will leave it to the Avanti enthusiasts to fill in the blanks.
      Dick: Do you mean the model intro in mid-1962? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have a few color photos of the "Avanti Airlift" at Cleveland Airport, taken by my dealer friend when he was there. The planes had "Avanti" in script painted on them too, and there's a photo of Lewis Minkel speaking at a podium with a large photo of Sherwood Egbert on it. It appeared to be a cloudy day and the photos are pretty dark though.
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Why does 'The Flight of the Phoenix' come to mind...
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Who made that flying "Boxcar"? I don't thing it was Boeing. Maybe Lockheed, anybody know?

Yea I know jusy GOOGLE flying boxcar.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
              I have a few color photos of the "Avanti Airlift" at Cleveland Airport, taken by my dealer friend when he was there. The planes had "Avanti" in script painted on them too, and there's a photo of Lewis Minkel speaking at a podium with a large photo of Sherwood Egbert on it. It appeared to be a cloudy day and the photos are pretty dark though.
              Would love to see your photos.

Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
              Fort Worth, TX

Comment

[QUOTE=M15 Trucker;640735]Who made that flying "Boxcar"? I don't thing it was Boeing. Maybe Lockheed, anybody know?

Fairchild Aircraft, Hagerstown, MD

Comment

There's two C-82's on display at the Hagerstown Air Museum similar to those used to carry the Avanti's around for their introduction...

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The upper of thos photos is a C-119. The lower one is the C-82 Packet
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My father flew C-82s long before I was born.

And Roscomacaw is correct, the nickname is Packet, not Flying Boxcar...

Notice the auxillary jet on top of the fuselage, that was a most-military service add-on by Stewart-Davis

Aboutthe time I bough my Avanti i bought a book on the C-82/C-119 and was shocked to find 2-3 photos of the "Avanti airlift" machine in it.
                      They were republished in an Avanti magazine article a couple of years ago.
                      Last edited by JBOYLE; 04-24-2012, 12:47 PM.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Can anyone zoom in on the building in the left side of R Q's picture? Is that an airport name, or an airlines hanger?? (Across the top edge of the building)

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                          Can anyone zoom in on the building in the left side of R Q's picture? Is that an airport name, or an airlines hanger?? (Across the top edge of the building)
                          It looks like NORTHEAST AIRLINES, Mike, whatever that was. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            It looks like NORTHEAST AIRLINES, Mike, whatever that was. BP
                            Was a fairly successful regional serving New England. Didn't fly south of NYC La Guardia until 56, then started routes to Florida.
                            Merged with Delta in the early 70s.
                            Last edited by JBOYLE; 04-24-2012, 12:48 PM.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                              Was a fairly successful regional serving New England. Didn't fly south of NYC La Guardia until 56, then started routes to Florida. Merged with Delta in the early 70s.
                              Thanks for the update, John. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X