1964 press camara wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 press camara wagon

Today was the first time I was able to get away with my friend Steve that owns one of the few true `1964 press camera wagons, he said it as been parked for more than 20 years and after looking at it I believe him, and he even said it ran when he parked it, " has any one ever heard that before?"Steve is a Studebaker Guy from way back so he know what he is talking about he still has a few 63 R-2 Avanti, 57 Golden hawk, zip-van, Weasel, and this wagon. also has the paper work about the car, the engine was change years ago to a 62 non full flow 259 but other than that it is all original, car has power disk brakes, power steering, 331 TT rear end, power rear window, cracked windshield, and rust , rust ,rust, I did pull back the carpet on the driver side and the floor was not rusted out so maybe the rust is just the one rear fender and the doors front end is rather nice fenders, grille , hood, even the tail gate is in good shape except for a little rust starting to show. I will only post a few pictures now if any one is interested I will post more then, he will sell it for $1000.00 and the money will go into getting his Golden hawk back on the road, if it does not sell it will be parted and the good items will be sold along with the ID tags and paper work, I know for a fact I can sell the parts and make more than the asking price, some one need to save the car if not then no crying about it later.

by the way the car does have the roof rack also.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

I don't know about 64, but UPI bought a fleet of Wagonaires for camera platforms in '63...

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick S. - That picture looks like it may have been taken at Lowell Thomas' estate in Pawling, Dutchess County, NY. He used those Wagonaires for the MovieTone NewsReels. I was at his estate a number of times in the 1960s (1964-1969), but never saw the Wagonaires.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
        I don't know about 64, but UPI bought a fleet of Wagonaires for camera platforms in '63...

Yes, Dick, there was also a contingent of Astra White 1964 Daytona Wagonaires shipped to DC, but I am not sure if it was for United Press International or Associated Press.

Several years ago, one of them (a '64) was for sale in Fredericksburg VA, south of DC. I examined it in person as a potential "buy" and looked up the Production Order. It was tagged for either UPI or AP in Washington DC, as were several others. BP
        Last edited by BobPalma; 04-25-2012, 07:40 AM. Reason: geography correction!
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

OK, what made a Wagonaire a camera car rather than a regular Wagonaire?
          When my cousin's husband was a correspondent for either CBS or NBC in Washington, DC (can't remember which as he worked at both in the time he was in DC), he was impressed with the possibility of using Wagonaires for press camera cars. He tried to interest his bosses, but didn't succeed. I believe the reason given was they couldn't work out a fair trade (advertising for Studebaker, cars for the network). Years later, in his capacity as Dean of the School of Journalism at Oklahoma University he was commissioned to write a private book for the family of the rich and powerful owner of a newspaper and TV station(s) in Oklahoma City (probably a major OU contributor). In it he described the company as using a Studebaker as a camera-equipped press car in the 30s/early 40s.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
            OK, what made a Wagonaire a camera car rather than a regular Wagonaire?
            Nothing special as far as identification, Paul.

I believe they had HD rear springs, among other tweaks off the regular option sheet.

I was just referring to the bottom of the Production Order, where there was a notation as to the utlimate owners/users called out. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

With four flat tires making the car sit that low to the ground, I would be concerned about the condition of the frame. As rusty as the doors and rockers look, I'm surprised that the front fender looks to be in great condition. Neat car with some interesting history for sure.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

It could be sitting flat on the good old California ground and would still end up better than the Minnesota salt, and besides it is in the gold country and there is gold in them thar hills, also not far from Placerville.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Several years ago, one of them (a '64) was for sale in Frederick MD, south of DC. I examined it in person as a potential "buy" and looked up the Production Order. It was tagged for either UPI or AP in Washington DC, as were several others. BP
                  Not to bust your chops, Bob (well...not toooo much!)...I live just outside of Frederick, MD and last time I looked...we're about fifty miles NW of DC. I guess maybe that was before GPS aids were available!
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    Not to bust your chops, Bob (well...not toooo much!)...I live just outside of Frederick, MD and last time I looked...we're about fifty miles NW of DC. I guess maybe that was before GPS aids were available!
                    Good grief, Bruce; of course you are correct.

The car was in Fredericksburg, VIRGINIA! (I knew I drove south to get there! <GGG>)

Thanks for the correction; I'd hate to go to Frederick MD and look for it again. <GGG> BP

Comment

Bob...of course you're always welcome to stop by for a few cold ones should you find yourself lost while looking for Fredericksburg!
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        Bob...of course you're always welcome to stop by for a few cold ones should you find yourself lost while looking for Fredericksburg!
                        'Got to thinking, Bruce: Frederick MD was fresh in my mind because we just drove through (around?) there on our way back from seeing our son Joe in DC the first week of April! I knew it was familiar! BP

Comment

Bob...if you took I-70 West from I-270 you passed within 1 1/2 miles of my house. You would have passed Braddock Heights where I live.

Too bad we each weren't aware of it.

Comment

Hey, folks.

Todd Ruel here. (I just published the podcast with Richard Quinn over at the Gone Autos web site.)

I collect audio-visual material related to orphan cars. That means films, radio commercials, etc.

I have a pristine 16mm short produced by Fox Movietone News in 1963 that features some great footage of that black and white photo posted above. The camera pans across a huge row of Wagonaires each with its own reporter shooting movie footage. Very impressive

Fox created the short to promote its fleet of photographers who spanned the globe in their far-reaching coverage of the latest news.

Cool stuff. I hope to get the film transferred someday, but I'll have to do a little copyright research first.

---Todd Ruel

Comment

I had a copy of that 16mm movie which had some great lead in footage from previous years i.e the Hindenburg crashing at Lakehurst, New Jersey around 1937, swaying bridges in high winds,etc. Along with the footage of those '63 Wagonaires it is certainly a nice 16mm short to view if you can find a copy.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                              MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
                              X