Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the locations of all the drain holes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Where are the locations of all the drain holes?

Found the doors on the '66 were holding water after last nights soaking rain. I cleaned these out but are there other body drains?

Two in each door for all models, plus one on each side for the quarter windows on two-door models. That's all!
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

There are more drain holes if the body ever gets 'flooded' These are rubber 'plugs; in the front and passenger floor pans and some steel plugs if you do not have seat belts, The floor pans have many drain plugs, but the main 'regualr' ones Dwain already covered.

The trunk area also has 2 large ones and several small ones........ The 'plugs I refer to are for if the car ever 'floods' and are not a regular drain hole.......

If your doors flooded, you might want to pull the cowl top on a dry day and clean the stuff in there too. These can also clog and rot out the car.

Comment

"you might want to pull the cowl top on a dry day and clean the stuff in there too. These can also clog and rot out the car."

An excellent suggestion! BTW, don't stop with just what you see in the center of that well by the wiper linkage.
        Also be sure to run your fingers to the outer edges. You can't get a good look, but you will feel a short wall that is designed to keep droppings from getting to the heater core on the right side and to the fresh air vent on the left. If you feel anything over there, use a flexible shop vac hose and suck them clean too.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, I drilled a 1 inch hole in the lower cowl are after I noticed they rot there too. The lower cowl area is inaccessable and fills with dirt.

As a preventative measure anyone planning on keeping one of these should drill at least a 1 inch hole, blow it and vaccum it out. This area is just to the inside of the front fender flange, any body supply store , or fastener store carries a 1 inch hole plug................

Lark hartops and C/k's also have this problem at the inner quarter panel where it meets the door post/floor and at the wheelhouse.

Comment

"Just out of curiosity, I drilled a 1 inch hole in the lower cowl are after I noticed they rot there too."

I like your idea. How low/exactly just where did you drill that hole?

Comment

The door drain could have used a better design since the rubber weatherstrip almost seals off the drain hole. I have opened mine making them wider but with new weatherstrips it still doesnt drain well. You'll notice it especially after a rain or a good car wash when you open the door & the water starts pouring out.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
              X