Cuban Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuban Studebakers

My buddy "2moredoors" asked me to post these pictures he recently took in Cuba. The 4 dr hawk was outside his hotel.

The first pictures are of a 1956 Studebaker Flight Hawk 2 door (coupe), converted into a 4 door for use as a taxi. It is now made up of 5 different donor makes on a Studebaker frame/chassis/ The original 6 cylinder flat head has been removed and a very large Russian truck V8 has been installed. Most pre revolution taxis are now using 4 cylinder diesel engines as the diesel is cheaper and easier to buy especially on the black market.

sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Kool !!!!!!

Comment

I dont think that is a Studebaker converted to 4 doors. I think that is a Stude grille, hood, and fenders grafted onto something else. Windshield back are all something else.

Comment

Read the note !...its made from 5 cars and its on the Studebaker chassis.
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I wouldn't mind owning that car. I am surprised that it does not have A/C. The battery is strange. Notice that the Hawk hood is hinged at the front.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I spoke with the owner. He told me it was originally a '56 Flight Hawk flat head 6 cylinder. It it took 5 donor cars but the basic car was a Studebaker. I spent my time trying to take pictures of the taxis coming and going but this was the only Studebaker. On the last day going back on the bus to the airport I saw two '53 or 54 Studebaker sedans and one '58. On a previous visit I saw a '59 or '60 Lark. Unfortunately my camera was stored away for the trip home.
            The Cubans have done some really good restoration jobs on tri fifty Chevs as 2R5 said using 4 cylinder diesel engines. I only saw one car with an original engine and that was a Model A Ford being used as a taxi. I was told that there were at least two in the area.
            sigpic
            55 President Deluxe
            64 Commander
            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

The hood and front fenders are the only recognizable Studebaker parts on that car. The modern plastic front bumper looks a little heavy under the grill.
              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

A Kia Amanti comes to mind looking at this.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  A Kia Amanti comes to mind looking at this.

Craig
                  A couple of small pieces of tape turns an Amanti into an Avanti <G>.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That engine looks like a 5.6L GAZ unit. They were used in Chaikas, Volga V8 KGB/police interceptors as well as Soviet/Russian trucks back in the day.
                    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                    X