what size and year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: what size and year

can some one please let me know what year this car is the the year and size of the engine ser number of car 6800504 number on fire wall 56j-k7 engine number ps1133 head cast number is 537976 any information thank you

Originally posted by kenny 7357 View Post
    can some one please let me know what year this car is the the year and size of the engine ser number of car 6800504 number on fire wall 56j-k7 engine number ps1133 head cast number is 537976 any information thank you
    The body number, 56J-K7 (with a sequential body number under this) is a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk. The Serial Number, 6800504, indicates a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk assembled in Vernon (Los Angeles), California.

The car should have a 352 cubic inch "Packard" engine. The Packard engine numbers start with K1001. The engine number , PS1133, that you give would be an engine number for a supercharged 289 cubic inch 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk.
    Last edited by studegary; 04-22-2012, 04:06 PM. Reason: engine info.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The car should have a 352 cubic inch "Packard" engine. The Packard engine numbers start with K1001.
      Point of clarification - if the '56J was originally equipped with the 3spd-OD trans, it would have had a S/N in the K-1001 series. If TwinUltramatic auto trans, the engine S/N would be in the S-1001 series.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

This car was assembled in LA on 4-12-56 and was absolutely loaded with accessory items. Destination is shown as 'CO. SERVICE'. I don't know what that means. Maybe it was used as sort of a factory demo? Or maybe it was a contest give-away car?
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I see you are in Georgia... I bet I know your car. There was (is?) a guy up around Augusta that had a '56 Golden Hawk that he was converting into a '57. He sold the car, and a few years later the buyer came to my granddad looking for a 352 engine to put it back stock. Turns out, my granddad had the original numbers matching engine from the car. It was sold to the current owner, and we never heard from him again. I'm wondering if you have the same car, I think I remember it being black in color.

Comment

Congrats!

Kenny, for your 1st post.
            Gary, for your 10.000 th.
            That's quite a coincidence.
            Nice day to all.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
              Congrats!

Kenny, for your 1st post.
              Gary, for your 10.000 th.
              That's quite a coincidence.
              Nice day to all.
              Yes, I also noticed that. I have been watching my number of posts because I did not like being a Silver Hawk member. I have owned more than 50 Studebakers and none of them were Silver Hawks. I am much more pleased with the Golden Hawk designation. I did own a 1957 Golden Hawk for nine years. It is also appropriate that I became a Golden Hawk member on this post about a Golden Hawk.

Hopefully, Kenny will feel welcome and return to the Forum.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

thanks for the information you gave me

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                The body number, 56J-K7 (with a sequential body number under this) is a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk. The Serial Number, 6800504, indicates a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk assembled in Vernon (Los Angeles), California.

The car should have a 352 cubic inch "Packard" engine. The Packard engine numbers start with K1001. The engine number , PS1133, that you give would be an engine number for a supercharged 289 cubic inch 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk.
                this engine does not have the super charger on it it does have a 4bbl carb do you think they took that off also it has four bolts that go down the center of the vavle cover to hold it down so you think this is a 57 289 again thanks for every thing

Comment

Engine ID data here:
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

To kenny 7357,------ It would be nice to track down the original Packard engine for that car. But if that engine was connected to the Packard Automatic, You might just want to keep that stored away, and work
                    with the Studebaker engine/trans. that's in Your car now. That is, if authenticity isn't critical with You, and You intend to drive the car a lot. Really a much easier to live with drivetrain.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny 7357 View Post
                      this engine does not have the super charger on it it does have a 4bbl carb do you think they took that off also it has four bolts that go down the center of the vavle cover to hold it down so you think this is a 57 289 again thanks for every thing
                      Yes, that is a 1957 supercharged engine that someone removed the supercharger and 2 bbl from. The supercharged engines have a low compression ratio. Unless someone made other modifications to the engine, it will not run great by just removing the supercharger.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                      X