Two more hawks put down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two more hawks put down

I heard about a couple of Studebakers parked in a field along the road in rural West Virginia, a couple of hours from me. I finally found the owner and found out that one was a '56 Power Hawk and the other was also a Hawk of the same body style but a different year...the plan had been to use the later car to restore the '56...however, a huge tree fell across the Power Hawk, length-wise, and smashed it--nature's crusher...the other car has rusted out...even now, the cars are tangled in family ownership, so if there is any redeemable part, it won't be salvaged, I'm sure...two more Hawks put down--sad.....this fellow also has a '55 (I think) Ford with a bubble top (he said very rare)...it also succumbed to nature's crusher...lots of big trees in West Virginia...
    Marie

There ought to be a law that if you're going to "get around to restoring that old car someday", then you need to find a garage, barn or some other indoor structure to store it. When my Grandpa died and my family decided to park his Lark out in a field, the ehing could have been back on the road driving with maybe a couple days of effort. Today it's so far gone that I've had to admit defeat and just use it as a parts car for a more complete vehicle.

Side note: if the family ever quits fighting over the rusting remnants, see if they can remove the trees. A huge tree fell on the Lark about 5 years before I picked it up. We thought it was toast. But that heavy gauge steel actually didn't give in, and aside from the roof having a pretty good dent in the top that I was able to work out, the car didn't have any other damage.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

My '51 had a barn fall on it at some point. A whole tree is a different matter.
      Just saying...some parts must have value and be salvageable.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
        There ought to be a law that if you're going to "get around to restoring that old car someday", then you need to find a garage, barn or some other indoor structure to store it. When my Grandpa died and my family decided to park his Lark out in a field, the ehing could have been back on the road driving with maybe a couple days of effort. Today it's so far gone that I've had to admit defeat and just use it as a parts car for a more complete vehicle.

Side note: if the family ever quits fighting over the rusting remnants, see if they can remove the trees. A huge tree fell on the Lark about 5 years before I picked it up. We thought it was toast. But that heavy gauge steel actually didn't give in, and aside from the roof having a pretty good dent in the top that I was able to work out, the car didn't have any other damage.
        There "kind of" is in my part of the country but it usually isn't enforced until the cars are so far gone they're only fit for the shredder.

Comment

That sucks. Did you get any photos of the '56? I've seen cars that were completely smashed by trees as well, and there are still usually some usable parts, especially if it's a '56.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Bad thing about us Hoarders is that we truly believe we will live long enough to finish them all.??????
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
              Bad thing about us Hoarders is that we truly believe we will live long enough to finish them all.??????
              Good Roads
              Brian
              I like to think that...
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Sometimes the tree falls on the garage, just saying. And then, there's the earthquakes. And Venetian artillery.

Comment

Nice shade of yellow, rockne!!!
                  1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                    That sucks. Did you get any photos of the '56? I've seen cars that were completely smashed by trees as well, and there are still usually some usable parts, especially if it's a '56.
                    I don't have pictures, but if feeling like a country drive some day, I will photograph them...as I said, it's a family deal, so I don't anticipate anything for sale anytime soon...if that happens, I will gladly post it here.....Marie

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      My '51 had a barn fall on it at some point. A whole tree is a different matter.
                      Just saying...some parts must have value and be salvageable.
                      That Starlight is one sweet looking ride...
                      sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                      Regal Deluxe Trim
                      Automatic transmission
                      46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Yeah, that's a nice looking Starlight. I love the color.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                        X