Installing new "cat whiskers" in doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Installing new "cat whiskers" in doors

I am restoring a 50 Studebaker Champion and am in the process of installing new "cat whiskers" in the doors which sweep the glass on its way up or down. Attaching the new material to the inside of the door was easy as replacement clips were available. The cat whisker that attaches to the inside glass frame is another matter. Studebaker used some form of a stapler to attach the cat whisker to the metal frame. Although I had a heavy duty stapler, that old window frame just laughed when I tried to staple through it. Does anyone have an alternative suggestion that might work? I considered rivets but was concerned that the rivet head would scratch the glass. Someone suggested glue but this doesn't sound like a permanent solution to me. Any suggestions on what might work or what worked for you? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vicki, I asked the same question on Truck Talk:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885...indow+Whiskers

I plan to look at the problem again and try to use the clips on that side also. Just need to drill the same size holes like the other side. The only issue would be a clearance problem so I'll have to check for that. I'm a bit away from working on that for now...
    1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
    See rescue progress here on this blog:
    http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

A friend of mine with a '54 Kaiser had a similar situation just recently. Some of the catwhiskers were attached the same way. On the advice of other Kaiser owners, he used 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive and glued them on. When he first told me his plans, I suggested trying one first and letting it dry........and then see how well it really held.

Well, he brought it by a few days ago -- and let me tell you, that catwhisker is ON THERE, and ain't coming off anytime soon! I was amazed at how that adhesive held, and I put a lot of force on it trying to pull it off. Would not have believed it.

If you try this, clean all surfaces really good with Oil/Wax/Grease Remover or something similar.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

To; r1lark,----That's a good tip...Thanks

Comment

Welcome Vicki!

Carey
          Packard Hawk

Comment

I threw away the clips that were to be used on my 53 c coupe. get yourself a roll of 3M double stick tape worked for me

Comment

I had no problem useing the clips that are "springed" and horizontal in configuration. I had absolutely no luck with the 3-pronged round barrel type.

Comment

Working...
              X