Truck plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck plates

Last year I asked about some old license plates for my truck. That was before I got it correctly as a 1949 2R10 rather than the 1952 that it was sold to me as.
    So now that all of my registration is done and he is on the road I am once again interested in getting some old plates on it rather than these white reflective plates.

In that old post I was asking for '52 truck plates and nothing really surfaced. Bob from CandB had some of the '63 and later plates but my registration guy said I can not swap to those unless the truck had them on it when I got it. He says my only option is plates marked 1949 {or the '49} in the corner.

So I thought I would ask again and see if any have popped up....
    Does anyone have a set of California 1949 Commercial truck plates they would like to sell?

The plates for you to use will have a yellow background with black letters / numbers. It will have 47 stamped in the plate. You will then have to obtain an aluminum corner tag with a '49 stamped on it. They are a little larger than the plates currently in use.
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

kmac53:
      Look at "daves california license plates.com". Click on "california plates". The 4th one down on the left hand side. It shows you the plate and tag you need.
      Really informative site.
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Also look at "oldpl8s.com"
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Here's what I did very successfully. Go to the tax office where you buy plates. Ask the clerks and the 'head' person if they know of a person who collects the un-issued plates each year. That is the person who can probably help you.

Comment

Kmac - I looked in my duplicates and don't have any 47/49 Calif truck truck plates. But if you check the license plate club's site alpca.org you can might be able to find a local plate swap meet in your area. And depending on how much you're willing to invest, becoming an ALPCA member for a year would give you access to their classified ads. There are about a half dozen big plate traders/dealers that have bought up collections from others and might very well have a decent pair of 49 Calif plates. They advertise regularly. And of course, there's always ebay.

Matched pairs are sometimes hard to find. Until the advent of YOM laws, there was no reason to keep pairs together. If both plates were nice, one would be kept and the other traded off. If one was a bit beat up, the best one would be kept and the other discarded.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Kmac.... Is this what you are looking for?

Get the best deals for 1949 california license plates at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Comment

Thanks for the link '31....I will need those top corner tags, but I need plates like the second add....but I do NOT need them that pretty....and YIKES $500 is WAY out of my league.

Comment

Bob,

You might be able to do that in Texas, but with Kmac being in California, everything and anything, is done through the State of California, Dept of Motor Vehicles government offices who's employees are less than happy, when serving their customers, unless you get "lucky".

Comment

Glen,
                    I am fortunate to have a small independant registration company in my town. He does charge a fee for handling your registration needs, but it very fair prices to not have to deal with the DMV.
                    I have literally spent all day at the local DMVs only to be told oh you cant do that.....when I had just done it on another project or with a buddies project.
                    I am not sure about more rural counties in Cali, but in LA, Orange, San Diego, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties the DMV is like an all day prostate exam with NO lube. I will glad pay my little independant shop his fee to avoid the DMV.

Comment

Kmac.....This set might be more to your liking.

Comment

I love those plates. My only problem with them is that they are CAR plates. I have a 3/4 ton truck and it has to have Commercial plates....like these

You can see my dilema at $650.00.....I didn't pay that for the whole truck. I didn't pay that for an engine rebuild kit. I did not pay that for ANY single thing for my truck.

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that commercial plates are NOT required on a truck doing YOM.
                          I'm looking, I'm looking.
                          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

ok, this may mean the same thing in other parts of the country, but from the gist of what a couple of you said, that is not what I meant. I did NOT mean to ask the DMV for the plates. Ask them if they know what happens to the "extra", un-issued plates. Maybe a person obtains them. THAT is the person you could talk to. Here in Texas, there are people who collect the extra plates from the courthouse, and then sell them without registration. That is how we get our YOM plates. Then we go register them.

Comment

I understood what you meant Bob. I have no idea how to obtain that info though Bob. My guess is the DMV trashes them here.

Comment

Working...
                              X