Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob Palma's MoPar thread reminded me of the time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Palma's MoPar thread reminded me of the time....

The demise of MY 3-CAR COLLECTION

At one point in my years, I lived in Burlington, IA. I had a couple of Studebakers I’d “collected” and had taken the ’51 Land Cruiser to a dealership for service. Began talking to one of the salesmen while I waited. Usual, “I used to have one o’ them thar things” talk.

A month or so later, same salesman called me. “We just traded for a ’63 Hawk with a bad hood. You can have it for $400.” I brow beat my wife (of the day) and drove it home. Had front disk brakes with the Flight-O-Matic shifter between the seats.

The hood wouldn’t latch—was only held down by the hook. But I drove it that way for a while. Then one day I was in need of some loot. There was a guy between Keokuk and Ft.Madison who was kind of collector. You could see his ‘collection’ from the highway, setting in a field. Lots of Studebakers, so I figured maybe he was as much of a Stude ‘nut’ as I. Stopped and offered him the 3 I had.

“I’ll be over tomorrow to look at the other 2. Not a bad looking Hawk, ‘cept fer that hood.”

The next day, he and his son stopped by, inspected my ‘collection’. They all ran and drove and he bought ‘em. Didn’t argue over my asking price, just bought ‘em. Paid cash. Hauled ‘em away to his field. When I’d drive by on my way to Keokuk there they were, looking at me, looking angry because I sold ‘em.

A couple of years later, was driving by his farm. All 3 cars where still there, grumping at me. I had a few bucks to spare at the time and a different, much more easily bamboozled wife, so I decided to stop and see if any were for sale.

A lady came to the door. “Hi,” I said. “Is your husband home?”

Terse, “Nope. He died.”

“Well, I sold him some of those cars, a few years back. I’m wondering if any of those Studebakers are for sale?”

Very terse, “Nope.” Started to close the door.

“Do you mind if I look at ‘em?”

“You c’n look, but I ain’t sellin’ ‘em!” Closed the door.

I walked through the weeds and brambles. All 3 of them sat there, tires mostly flat, sinking into the ground, rust starting in the usual places. I opened the doors. Interiors had begun to rot from the sun. I touched the cloth on the ’51 Land Cruiser. It cracked at my touch. Steering wheels cracked. Seat seams on the Hawk beginning to split. Truly sad. Yet, they could all have probably been saved, had someone taken the time and had the money. And the desire.

Just then, a kid, maybe 12, walked up. “Mom wanted me to ask you to come inside before you leave. She wants to talk to ya.”

“She gonna sell me one of these Studebakers?”

“No way. They’re mine.”

They’re YOURS???”

“Yep, it was in the will. Dad left ‘em to me. All these cars.” He made a sweeping gesture, encompassing the entire “collection”, probably 25 cars, most of them in worse condition than the Studebakers I’d sold him. “Don’t take nothin’ off’n ‘em.” He turned and went back into the house.

After I looked at some of the “other” cars in the “collection”, I stickered my way back to the house and knocked on the back door.

Same lady came to the door, unlatched the screen and invited me in. “Have a seat there,” motioning me to a kitchen chair. “I wasn’t trying to be mean, but ya have to understand. My husband loved every one of them cars. After work every day, he’d go out there at night with a flashlight and sit in ‘em. A different one every night. Sometimes run a long cord out to ‘em, put on a charger and listen to the radios. He’d sit there, thinking about what each one needed to be “resurrected”, he called it. Then come in the house and write all that stuff down. I’ve still got the papers he wrote. When we made out our wills, he’d made the lawyer write that I got the farm but the cars would all go to Don, our son. I couldn’t touch ‘em.”

“What’s Don gonna do with ‘em?”

“Nothin’. He hates ‘em.”

“HATE ‘EM?”

“Never looks at ‘em. Says they’re piles o’ junk. But they belonged to his Dad. And he can’t get the idea through his head that he’ll NEVER be able to fix ‘em, even if he wanted to—which he don’t. So they just set there. I CAN’T sell ‘em and he WON’T sell ‘em.”

“Sad.”

“Yes it is. But that’s the way it is. People stop here all the time, wanting to buy one or another. But Don is just as mule-headed as his Dad. I’m sure that someday, he’ll decide to sell ‘em. But until that day….” Her voice trailed off and she shrugged her shoulders.

I got up, thanked her for her time and for letting me look at the “collection”. Drove away.

“Didja buy one?” asked my wife.

“Nope. Not for sale.”

She sighed, as if a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. And smiled.

A few years later, was again driving past that place. There were only the charred remnants of a house and NO cars. I stopped at the next farm house and knocked.

“Whatever happened to the place down the road?”

“Burned down a year or so ago. The county got it condemned and a junk yard bought the cars. As far as I know, crushed ‘em all. They were nothing but rusty ol’ junk, anyway, ya know. Don got married and his Mom moved to Ft.Madison.”

So there it was. The entire “collection” got crushed, including “my” cars. I guess that makes OUR cars worth more today. But it does seem kinda sad. SOMEone coulda saved ‘em.

And, I’ve often wondered…even in their present condition, were "MY CARS" still angry with ME for selling them?

Oh well…..

John
    Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 04-23-2012, 04:10 AM.

A man near here bought old cars all over this area. He parked most of them in a field down by the river. He had cars back into the mid 30s. Lots of them came out of garages and barns where they had been protected. He would sell the cars, but his prices were out of reason. By the time he died and the cars were disposed of, most were rough.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Good story but a sad one...an example of yet another "love them to death" personality--never learned that to love them is to let them go...can't take them with you...in a very sad way though, he did--they both came the same demise--old age, deterrioration and the bitter end...

Comment

Interesting, Johnny. These situations are so terribly common it makes you want to cry, especially if you love and respect machinery.

People are funny and its often not the money...just to have something other people want and be able to lord it over them and make yourself feel important, sometimes.

'Not much can be done about that sad aspect of human nature, unfortunately. As long as there are people who want attention at any price, finacially or emotionally, there will be these situations. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Interesting, Johnny. These situations are so terribly common it makes you want to cry, especially if you love and respect machinery.

People are funny and its often not the money...just to have something other people want and be able to lord it over them and make yourself feel important, sometimes.

'Not much can be done about that sad aspect of human nature, unfortunately. As long as there are people who want attention at any price, finacially or emotionally, there will be these situations. BP
          Golly Bob, are you suggesting I sell some of my wheelbarrow collection?
          sigpic
          Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
            Golly Bob, are you suggesting I sell some of my wheelbarrow collection?
            Hey, whatever it takes to get you back on the forum, Dale!

WELCOME BACK!
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I wonder what proportion of cars that weren't used up and scraped in a timely fashion disappear this way. Growing up in the 50's we had a neighbor with a 36 Ford coupe, a very desirable car for any high school kid of the time, sitting in his yard. I don't think a week went by without someone stopping to inquire about it but the owner would not sell. When I left there 10 years later it was still sitting in the same place, slowly returning to nature. I expect when the owner died some one junked it.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

As the late James Brown said, "I feel good, I knew that I would now"

I get a "walking cast" on May 1st.
                That should make me mobile and I can get out of this rehab place.
                Can't be to soon for me.
                sigpic

Comment

And just think...it was THIS thread that got Dale HERE again!! Shall we THANK me or BLAME me?

John

Comment

Did you adapt your post from a 1975 issue of Car Classics magazine??? A 'Letter to the Editor' stated the fate of Chrysler 300 Number ONE, and how it ended up getting CRUSHED!! (Don't weep, Bob)

Craig
                    Last edited by 8E45E; 04-19-2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
                      And just think...it was THIS thread that got Dale HERE again!! Shall we THANK me or BLAME me?

John
                      Thanks, Johnny; many thanks as far as I'm concerned....you resparked the Lark! BP

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        Did you adapt your post from a 1974 issue of Car Classics magazine???...
                        Nope, it actually happened that way. I probably shouldn't have been upset. I think I got nearly $2000 for the 3, almost $1000 for the Hawk. And I'd only paid $75 for the running, driving Land Cruiser from the wrecking yard at Fountain Green.

I guess it was the idea that those cars were just flat DESTROYED. I see these giant trucks with the gargantuan tires, destroying cars and I think--that car coulda been saved--maybe. Mighta made someone a good driver.

but as I said...'Oh well......'

John

Comment

LARK PARKER ! WOW ! LARK PARKER ! COOL !
                          I've been "into" Studebakers since I was 14 or 15. [mid 1960's]
                          Only got into Studebakers 3 yrs or so ago with the purchase of a 55 President.
                          Years before, while surfing the web I found a series of articles about restoring Stainless and really enjoyed the writing style.
                          Later I found the site is S.D.C.
                          I immediately found out who "Lark Parker" was and found and read all his posts.
                          Lark Parker kept me coming back to the site.
                          Thank You Lark Parker for not only a really informative series on how to do stainless but a lot of great posts.
                          Your posts always put a smile on my face.
                          I don't know you, will probably never meet you but MAN do I admire you. Great attitude, great perspective.
                          Glad to see you back, Good health to you Sir. I look forward to reading more of your stuff.
                          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Thank you Prez 4dr, I am humbled by your post.
                            The stainless restoration series got abbreviated by the process of moving it to the SDC Tech Tips (but you didn't miss much).
                            I try to keep my incredibly astute remarks near the end of a thread so as to not hijack the thread.

There several writers here better than I.
                            For one, Johnny Wiffer who started this very thread is one of the several that surpass me.
                            I received D's in high school english, but I take heart in knowing Elvis flunked music in HS.
                            Einstein flunked something (I don't remember what), but I am at peace knowing that I am following Elvis and Einstein's career pattern.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
                              ...For one, Johnny Wiffer who started this very thread is one of the several that surpass me.....
                              Shucks! Cain't nobody surpass the KING!

John

Comment

Working...
                              X