Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rutland In June- How Is The Ethan Allen Highway VS 87?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rutland In June- How Is The Ethan Allen Highway VS 87?

I am planning to drive a 1961 Hawk from NJ to Rutland. I am looking at several ways. Interstate 87 is 15 miles longer but shorter time. I would enjoy a scenic drive towards the end of the trip but don't want to be sitting in traffic overheating.

Route 7 up in Vermont is The Ethan Allen Highway. Anyone know how it rides?

It is great! For a more scenic route take 100 up the middle of the State. You won't be sorry.
    Never raise your hands to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected.- Red Buttons

'63 Avanti R2
    '14 Boxster
    '64 GT Hawk R1 JT
    '37 Dictator Coupe
    '37 Dictator Coupe "slight custom"

Comment

I suggest coming across I 84 to the Taconic State Parkway (TSP) for most of the New York State part of your trip. The TSP is toll free, free of large trucks and busses and the part north of I 84 is scenic. The TSP is a much nicer and cheaper ride than taking the New York Thruway (I 87). At the north end of the TSP, you can cut across to Route 7.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

rt 100 is a nice ride I haven't been on it since the hurricane went through, but it should be good by now.

Comment

I would suggest the NYS Thruway north to exit 24, follow I87 north to the Rt 7 exit (one or two, exits, not sure exactly), then NY 7 east to Vermont. At the border it becomes VT 2. Keep going 'til you hit US 7 , go North to Ruland.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Here's my 2 cents worth. I agree with using the Taconic Parkway and getting off near the end, before you hit I-90. Then take NY 22 north to NY 7 which turns into VT 9, before crossing into VT you will have a choice of staying on the old road or taking the "Bennington Bypass" which is RT 279. If you're not in a hurry stay on the old road and as you get into "Old" Bennington stop by the Bennington Battle Monument (great photo opportunity). Proceed on VT 9 to the center of Bennington then turn left onto US 7. After a couple miles you'll have choice of staying on US 7, which becomes a modern limited access highway, or taking "old" route 7, now called VT 7A. I recommend 7A, the traffic should be light as most of it takes US 7. If you have time when you get into the village of South Shaftsbury turn left in the center of town and get on RT 67 for a short distance; on the right is this small park with a spring fed pond that has some the biggest trout that you will ever see (it's not well advertised and you may want to stop and ask the locals where it is, also you can check it out on Google). Get back on VT 7a and continue north, eventually you will wind up in Manchester Center an old time "wealthy" community, check out the Equinox Hotel and, if you have time stop, by Hildene, the Robert Todd Lincoln estate. As you continue north on VT 7a you will rejoin US 7 near East Dorset, at this point US 7 goes back to a rural two lane highway. It goes through the "Valley of Vermont" with the Green Mountains on the right and the Taconic Mountains on the left. You eventally will wind up in Rutland and the Holiday Inn is on the southern end of the city just past the junction with US 4.

Don't be afraid to let me know if you have any questions (I worked for VTrans for 31 years and travelled all around VT)
            Dan Peterson
            Montpelier, VT
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Thanks for the replies I have to weigh time vs sight seeing. I like the Hawk but I really want to arrive within 5 hours of departure from Middletown, N.J. 07748. The Taconic looks like it would add considerable time to the trip. The Ethan Allen Highway looks like it adds virtually NO TIME to the trip but may be enjoyable. Is that worth the departure from 87?

Comment

It's a toss up. I-87 is three lanes in each direction going north out of Albany and depending on the time of day you may hit some traffic (north-bound in the evening rush hour). If you do take 87 don't get off to go to Rutland, VT where the signs tell you at Exit-17 as I recall. It will put you in Glens Falls on a street with a lot of local traffic and traffic lights (stop & go, mostly stop). Stay on 87 north to Exit 20 and get on RT 9 north for about a mile then turn right on to RT 149 to Fort Ann. In Fort Ann turn left onto US 4. US 4 is a two lane highway in NY and goes through a couple villages, such as Whitehall, but traffic moves along pretty well (watch your speed through the villages). In Vermont US 4 is a interstate type highway, so you can move right along. Stay on US 4 until you get to US 7 in Rutland.

I-87/US 4 is faster, Taconic Parkway/US 7/VT 7a is slower, but a little more relaxed. Your choice.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

My father lives in Rutland area(and will be at zone with his 64)and the best way to go is through fort ann and whitehall, it is the easiest and very scenic. That is the way I go whenever I drive from Florida.

Comment

dpson and Greg H are right. I originally am from Bennington and graduated from Norwich. Dating my wife, from Latham NY, I traveled that road MANY times in the 60’s. We still go that way when going to upper Vermont.
                    Never raise your hands to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected.- Red Buttons

'63 Avanti R2
                    '14 Boxster
                    '64 GT Hawk R1 JT
                    '37 Dictator Coupe
                    '37 Dictator Coupe "slight custom"

Comment

Working...
                    X