Think my OD bit the dust...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think my OD bit the dust...........

My elation at getting the Stude back on the road was short lived. Got it out today to stretch it's legs a little. I was in 1st gear and when I'd accelerate it was acting like an automatic that was low on fluid. It would rev up and then catch. I headed out of town and got it into OD, about 3 miles out the car jerked and then I heard a growling/grinding noise. I pushed in the clutch and coasted to the side of the road. The noise stopped as I was coming to a stop so I sat there for a few secnds then eased back out on the road. No noise and the car drove fine but no more OD. Now I have to decide if I want to fix it or if it's time for a more modern trans like a 5 speed or 200-4R.

Wondering if you topped up ther rear section of the tranny. That's why there's two drain and refill plugs. What you are describing is classic symptoms of the sprag cluth dying. Sorry!
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I checked the OD unit and there was lube at the bottom of the fill plug hole, doesn't mean the clutch didn't die though.

Comment

Mine did the same thing earlier this year. I put the standard 3 speed back in it. I miss my overdrive. Time to get it fixed!!!
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
        X