Help needed '37 Hood hinges.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed '37 Hood hinges.......

A while ago I posted a message solicting info from anyone with knowledge of why the back end of my hood needed to be pushed down by hand the last inch or so, after closing. Judging from the replies, this seems to be a common problem with hoods of that era. After numerous attempts at adjustment I realized (part of the problem at least) there was a little "slack" in most of the many pivot points comprising each hood hinge rivot, some (top and bottom) worse than others. Although each pivot point play was minimal, together the total slack is definiately part of the problem. Before I attempt to remove, drill out, and replace each piviot rivot (and spacers), I thought I'd check with you fellas to see if there is somewhere I can purchase (or parts swap) NOS hood hindges for a '37 coupe express, Dictator, or other matching models? Thanks, Jimmy http://community.webshots.com/user/Jimmy655

I don't believe that there are any NOS hinges available but I could be wrong.
    One of the Street rod parts manufactures has duplicated the 37 Studebaker hood hinge in aluminum and is currently selling them.
    Last year at the NSRA Milwaukee show a fellow 37 owner told me about them.
    I went into the manufactures exhibit and they had a set for sale.
    I can't remember the manufacturer or price but next weekend is the NSRA at Milwaukee again and I could see if I can find the again.

Comment

I don't believe that there are any NOS hinges available but I could be wrong.
      One of the Street rod parts manufactures has duplicated the 37 Studebaker hood hinge in aluminum and is currently selling them.
      Last year at the NSRA Milwaukee show a fellow 37 owner told me about them.
      I went into the manufactures exhibit and they had a set for sale.
      I can't remember the manufacturer or price but next weekend is the NSRA at Milwaukee again and I could see if I can find the again.

Comment

Hi Jimmy,
        I have the same problem on my 1937. I did have a set of NOS hinges on the car, but they pulled up the same way. I cant actually get my hood to close at the back end unless I cut the back plate to modify it so it lowers the hinge.

I changed over to an excellent used set of hinges and still have the same problem. I dont want to sell my new set though, as these I may modify when I can be bothered.

Regards
        Greg

Greg Diffen
        Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
        1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
        1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
        1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
        1988 Avanti Convertible
        Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
        1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
        1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
        1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
        1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
        1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Hi Jimmy,
          I have the same problem on my 1937. I did have a set of NOS hinges on the car, but they pulled up the same way. I cant actually get my hood to close at the back end unless I cut the back plate to modify it so it lowers the hinge.

I changed over to an excellent used set of hinges and still have the same problem. I dont want to sell my new set though, as these I may modify when I can be bothered.

Regards
          Greg

Greg Diffen

1988 Avanti Convertible
          Greg Diffen

1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Thanks Mike, and Greg. I have an two solutions to the problem, one pretty simple, the other installing an inside center mini hood lock (purchased from Yogi's Rod parts). The easiest way is to fabricate a small, contoured, horizontal lever at the top center inside of the fire wall. I figured if I cut a 3/16th, horizontal slot in the backside of the hood brace, and line it up with the fabricated lever under the dash. The "engagement" side of the lever (the side that mates with the hood slot) could be ground at an angle of maybe 0-10 deg. ensuring full closure. The hood lock on the other hand, would close (and open) with a just a push of pressure from your hand (assuming your realese cable on dash is open). The differance is the 1st method would be all but detectable. I'm still debating which to use. In the meantime, I plan on re-riviting the hinges. By the way...do you guys have your hinges adjusted low in terms of your firewall mounted side? Thanks Jimmy

Comment

Thanks Mike, and Greg. I have an two solutions to the problem, one pretty simple, the other installing an inside center mini hood lock (purchased from Yogi's Rod parts). The easiest way is to fabricate a small, contoured, horizontal lever at the top center inside of the fire wall. I figured if I cut a 3/16th, horizontal slot in the backside of the hood brace, and line it up with the fabricated lever under the dash. The "engagement" side of the lever (the side that mates with the hood slot) could be ground at an angle of maybe 0-10 deg. ensuring full closure. The hood lock on the other hand, would close (and open) with a just a push of pressure from your hand (assuming your realese cable on dash is open). The differance is the 1st method would be all but detectable. I'm still debating which to use. In the meantime, I plan on re-riviting the hinges. By the way...do you guys have your hinges adjusted low in terms of your firewall mounted side? Thanks Jimmy

Comment

Jimmy,
                my hinges are adjusted as low as they can go. We even filed them down so they would go lower again, but to no real advantage. My hood does not close at the rear even when pused down with NOS springs or the good used set I hav on the car now.

I dont have a bonnet cable I just have the twist top mechanism of the chrome do dah on the front of the bonnet.

Regards
                Greg

Greg Diffen

1988 Avanti Convertible
                Greg Diffen

1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Jimmy,
                  my hinges are adjusted as low as they can go. We even filed them down so they would go lower again, but to no real advantage. My hood does not close at the rear even when pused down with NOS springs or the good used set I hav on the car now.

I dont have a bonnet cable I just have the twist top mechanism of the chrome do dah on the front of the bonnet.

Regards
                  Greg

Greg Diffen

1988 Avanti Convertible
                  Greg Diffen

1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

After reading the replies I am more curious than ever...
                    I played with mine quite a while to get it right and it will hang the RR corner up a half inch to 3/4 inch about half the time it gets closed. I just push it down, and don't have to push hard at all. I have the stock hinges and springs. The front alignment pin and latch are stock. One difference I have is two gas struts to hold the hood up in the open position. They are liftgate gas cylinders, but are not real high pressure ones. One thing they do to the hood is push it forward when closing. But they are pretty much fully collapsed when the hood is closed, so the gas pressure is pushing straight forward. I find that after removing the lower hood latch plate up front for whatever reason (It has to come off to remove the stainless cover plate on mine to access the front wiring).. I have to re-adjust the plate every time to make sure the latch is located right.
                    Now... Knowing that my gas cylinders are 'pushing' the hood forward in the closed position...makes me think that this also makes the rear hinges 'pull down' on the hood rear edge.
                    Did you try keeping the forward hood latch 'loose' and then pull forward on the hood when it is closed to see if the hinges will pull down on the rear edge of the hood?
                    Those springs on the hinges seem to be mostly there to lift and push forward on the hood during opening to clear the cowl so the paint won't get scraped up. They do hold the hood up 'a bit' but it seems they are more for balance and opening assist than anything else.
                    I am all ears listening for a good solution...and I have them too[:0]..
                    Shows what I don't know, huh?
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Jimmy Clarke

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                    Brooklet, Georgia
                    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                    '61 Hawk (project)
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

After reading the replies I am more curious than ever...
                      I played with mine quite a while to get it right and it will hang the RR corner up a half inch to 3/4 inch about half the time it gets closed. I just push it down, and don't have to push hard at all. I have the stock hinges and springs. The front alignment pin and latch are stock. One difference I have is two gas struts to hold the hood up in the open position. They are liftgate gas cylinders, but are not real high pressure ones. One thing they do to the hood is push it forward when closing. But they are pretty much fully collapsed when the hood is closed, so the gas pressure is pushing straight forward. I find that after removing the lower hood latch plate up front for whatever reason (It has to come off to remove the stainless cover plate on mine to access the front wiring).. I have to re-adjust the plate every time to make sure the latch is located right.
                      Now... Knowing that my gas cylinders are 'pushing' the hood forward in the closed position...makes me think that this also makes the rear hinges 'pull down' on the hood rear edge.
                      Did you try keeping the forward hood latch 'loose' and then pull forward on the hood when it is closed to see if the hinges will pull down on the rear edge of the hood?
                      Those springs on the hinges seem to be mostly there to lift and push forward on the hood during opening to clear the cowl so the paint won't get scraped up. They do hold the hood up 'a bit' but it seems they are more for balance and opening assist than anything else.
                      I am all ears listening for a good solution...and I have them too[:0]..
                      Shows what I don't know, huh?
                      Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                      Brooklet, Georgia
                      '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                      '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                      '61 Hawk (project)
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Hey Jeff....I was wondering how long it would take you to "jump in". Yes, I did loosen the two bottom, front latch mount bolts in an attempt to allow the front latch to "find" it's own position, if that's what you were talking about, but it didn't help much? What I want to do is twofold: first, ensure that the back end of the hood closes fully and evenly every time I close the hood and secondly, do that in the most unintrusive way possible. Heck, if we were only concerned with the hood closing completely, a couple eary model "outside" hood safety latches off of ebay would do the job...right? Anyway, how does this sound....Imagine a hole (let's say 3/8ths inch or so that's drilled through the top of the firewall, and through the solid portion of the rear hood support. The hole would be centered exactly mid way in line with the cowl vent. You could fabricate a rod which would be spring activated in the closed position, with an "L" shaped notch lock manual handle. This type of set-up would never be seen, and would (I think?) do th job, especially if the "inside the firewall" portion was fabricated with slightly elongated, adjustment holes. Seems to me that would be the least time consuming method. I'm also toying with a lever type set up, that would do basically the same thing, but wouldn't require manual pressure to first line up the hole. (These are the type of thoughts that occupy my day, while I'm waiting for the machine shop to start on my engine. Some of my co-workers say I need to "get a life")
                        At the risk of veering off course here a little....what's up with the grill line up? I very carefully replaced the bottom of my grill housing, so that my grill would fit in the opening...uniformally, but for some reason the two upper fins which are screwed seperately to the top of the grill frame never seem to quite match the fin angle of the fins on the grill? Have you guys had any alignment problems in this area? ........Jimmy

Comment

Hey Jeff....I was wondering how long it would take you to "jump in". Yes, I did loosen the two bottom, front latch mount bolts in an attempt to allow the front latch to "find" it's own position, if that's what you were talking about, but it didn't help much? What I want to do is twofold: first, ensure that the back end of the hood closes fully and evenly every time I close the hood and secondly, do that in the most unintrusive way possible. Heck, if we were only concerned with the hood closing completely, a couple eary model "outside" hood safety latches off of ebay would do the job...right? Anyway, how does this sound....Imagine a hole (let's say 3/8ths inch or so that's drilled through the top of the firewall, and through the solid portion of the rear hood support. The hole would be centered exactly mid way in line with the cowl vent. You could fabricate a rod which would be spring activated in the closed position, with an "L" shaped notch lock manual handle. This type of set-up would never be seen, and would (I think?) do th job, especially if the "inside the firewall" portion was fabricated with slightly elongated, adjustment holes. Seems to me that would be the least time consuming method. I'm also toying with a lever type set up, that would do basically the same thing, but wouldn't require manual pressure to first line up the hole. (These are the type of thoughts that occupy my day, while I'm waiting for the machine shop to start on my engine. Some of my co-workers say I need to "get a life")
                          At the risk of veering off course here a little....what's up with the grill line up? I very carefully replaced the bottom of my grill housing, so that my grill would fit in the opening...uniformally, but for some reason the two upper fins which are screwed seperately to the top of the grill frame never seem to quite match the fin angle of the fins on the grill? Have you guys had any alignment problems in this area? ........Jimmy

Comment

I have a stainless piece that mounts flush to the top of the grille surround frame. The top two grille 'bars' that have screw holes in them.... Well, on mine they are glued down with Permatex Ultra Black and covered with the stainless. That way the stainless sets flush without the screw heads holding it up in the air...
                            But, having said that, I know the grille assembly is quite wonkity and if the bars do not match from the top two to the other 36 (?), then I'd think the center bar needs to either go up (or down) to get the bars to match.. A good whack might persuade it[}]
                            Have you ever figured out a good replacement piece for the vertical stainless bar in the center?
                            Jeff[8D]

<snip> At the risk of veering off course here a little....what's up with the grill line up? I very carefully replaced the bottom of my grill housing, so that my grill would fit in the opening...uniformally, but for some reason the two upper fins which are screwed seperately to the top of the grill frame never seem to quite match the fin angle of the fins on the grill? Have you guys had any alignment problems in this area? ........Jimmy

Jeff

Comment

I have a stainless piece that mounts flush to the top of the grille surround frame. The top two grille 'bars' that have screw holes in them.... Well, on mine they are glued down with Permatex Ultra Black and covered with the stainless. That way the stainless sets flush without the screw heads holding it up in the air...
                              But, having said that, I know the grille assembly is quite wonkity and if the bars do not match from the top two to the other 36 (?), then I'd think the center bar needs to either go up (or down) to get the bars to match.. A good whack might persuade it[}]
                              Have you ever figured out a good replacement piece for the vertical stainless bar in the center?
                              Jeff[8D]

<snip> At the risk of veering off course here a little....what's up with the grill line up? I very carefully replaced the bottom of my grill housing, so that my grill would fit in the opening...uniformally, but for some reason the two upper fins which are screwed seperately to the top of the grill frame never seem to quite match the fin angle of the fins on the grill? Have you guys had any alignment problems in this area? ........Jimmy

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X