PDA

View Full Version : new to working on cars...help with break line

psycho_666
07-08-2007, 08:49 PM
i've been trying to look things up online as well as help from my car buddies, but i was wondering what, if any, are the specifics on the breakline for a 1955 Studebaker Commander.
i'm having my friend's dad help me out with looking at that, but (being a female) i know little about cars, and i don't know if there's certian things i should/shouldn't be doing.

i'll post pictures soon of her (betty).

also, i was wondering...the interior door paint? is coming off. is that paint? or what is that?? and what can i do to make it look marvelous?

lau

StudeDave57
07-08-2007, 09:07 PM
One way to (maybe) find what you are looking for is to 'search' this Forum. The link is at the upper right-hand corner of this page...

There is so much Stude information here it's scary!!! ;)

What type of brake work is being done to the car?

StudeDave [8D]
V/P San Diego County SDC
San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
'57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

psycho_666
07-08-2007, 09:19 PM
my uncle and my friends dad just said that it should be changed.
the car has been sitting in a pole bar for about 20 years, so i just want to play it safe and make sure everything runs properly.

Dick Steinkamp
07-08-2007, 09:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by psycho_666

my uncle and my friends dad just said that it should be changed.
the car has been sitting in a pole bar for about 20 years, so i just want to play it safe and make sure everything runs properly.

There are about about 5 "hard" brake lines and 3-5 flexible brake lines.

The flexible brake lines should be changed if you don't know when they were replaced last...they are probably good for 5-10 years. The hard lines should be replaced if there is any sign of rust on them.

If it has been sitting that long with no maintenance, you will need to completely go through the brakes before you drive it...including wheel cylinders, master cylinder, probably shoes, drums, repack wheel bearings, etc.

In addition to brakes, there is a whole laundry list of things to do to a car that has been in storage that long before you could consider it safe and dependable to drive. Not to discourage you, just hate to see you stranded or hurt.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

JDP
07-08-2007, 09:49 PM
You can buy 3/16 brake line in different lengths to make new steel lines. Buy a few unions to make the longest one running back.

JDP/Maryland
64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
63 GT R2
63 Lark 2 door
62 Gt Hawk
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

psycho_666
07-08-2007, 10:57 PM
thanx for the advice guys, much appreciated!