Glue for gluing hood insulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Glue for gluing hood insulator

Usually I would use contact cement for gluing interior vinyl, but I purchased a Hood Insulator from S.I. for the hood of my 62 Hawk. I am in the process of reinstalling the rebuilt engine and while I have the hood off, decided to install the Hood Insulator and don't want it to fall down within a week. What have others used for such an intallation and what type is recommended?

As always, thanks in advance to everyone.
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

I worked in an auto glass shop for some years, and we always used 3M Yellow Weatherstrip Adhesive when we wanted anything to stay put on cars. The 3M yellow develops a stronger bond than the black.
    1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
    1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
    Robert Rausch

Comment

3M Super Trim Adhesive part number 08090 is designed for exactly that appliication.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

On my cars I have used a gasket cement from Catipillar that is known as "Cat Green"......used the last of what I had a couple years ago so I dont remember the part # but it holds like a son-of-a-gun & is good with the heat from the engine on the underhood insulator.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Hi mike,

Don't forget that the insulator is offset to the right side to avoid the battery. I used contact glue (a lot!) for mine. Adhesion seems strong but I still need a road test.
          Nice day to all.
          sigpic

Comment

I just installed a new insulator from S-I on my 56J after my first one started to shred after 15 years! I used the yellow 3M contact cement both times. The first one was a bear to scrape off and the old cement was as good as new.

According to S-I, mount the fabric side to the hood with the fiberglas showing. Remember to offset the insulator to the driver's side. Someone once posted the approximate mounting dimensions, either here or on Frank Ambrogio's site.

Bill L.
            Bill L.
            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

The 3M 08090 mentioned above is what worked for the insulator on our '62 Hawk. That was 5 years ago and it looks like it was applied yesterday.
              Following the residual patch left by the old one, it was a perfect fit in the original position about 4-5 inches from the rear edge of the hood, mounted straight, with the forwrd left corner of the insulator about 7-8 inches from the LEFT side of the hood at the closest point.

I've heard of offsets to either side, so I just followed what I knew to be the original on this particular car.
              Last edited by Andy R.; 04-16-2012, 10:25 PM. Reason: product name
              Andy
              62 GT

Comment

Working...
              X