kingpin bearing and bushing tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: kingpin bearing and bushing tools

Look for the remover and installer for the kingpin bearing and bushings. I would like to purchase and or borrow and have my machinist duplicate these tools.
    J-1294-A Arbor
    J-1294-6 Pilot
    J-1294-4 Pilot
    J-1294-9 Removal adapter
    anyone have one for sale or ?
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Good luck finding those tools, but if you cannot, just make do. Use a brake cylinder hone to size the bronze bushing, once installed. Use a half inch drive 5" extension, and short socket to reach down into the housing and drive the bushing & bearing out. Use sockets and a press (or hammer, socket & vice) to re-install the bushing & bearing. Be extra careful not to push the bottom bushing in too far or too little; too far, and the o'ring will not do its job and keep grease from coming out the bottom instead of the top; too little and it will drag excessively and cause stiff steering and/or premature failure of the o'ring.

If you're also gonna be fooling with the upper and lower, outter pivot pins, it's harder to make do without the spreader tool. Luckily, some of the vendors sell them.

Comment

Joe, I've changed several of them out over the years, just would like to have the factory tools to do them in the future. These are sized right and made for the job. I also have and use the spreader tool as well.
      If I don't find any of the factory ones, I may make them up from scratch but I'd like to have something that I can get the exact measurements from.
      64 Champ long bed V8
      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I found a Matco Tools seal and bushing set that has multiple sizes and most are stepped. They are designed as a transmission service set, but have many uses. Look on ebay or ask any of the tool truck guys. If you dont need the perfect quality, get a Harbor Freight set. A good set can be $pendy but the stuff you can do with it has gotten me out of a few jambs! I'd say it has paid for itself several times.

Comment

KD

If you have an old kingpin kicking around or just some hot rolled and a lathe, you can do this.

Bob

Comment

Working...
          X