X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 worst car names of all time

#3 Studebaker Dictator

Richard
    The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

If the author had only tried a little harder, the Dictator would be #11.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Actually; the 'Fairlady' name is pretty popular with the Z crowd even here in the USA. I've seen a number of seriously built Nissan 350Z's with FairladyZ nameplates installed.
      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Compared to some of those others, Dictator seems fairly tame....although I think if you consider the era, WWI and WWII and the rise of that eras dictators and the lives that were lost fighting for and against those people....Dictator may not have been the "best" choice. But far from the "worst" choice. I never liked the Nissan Bluebird name...awesome little car, but lame name, especially for such a little hot rod.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
          I never liked the Nissan Bluebird name...awesome little car, but lame name, especially for such a little hot rod.
          Hawk was already taken.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Y'know... I recall a Top X list a long time ago...
            Something about the Top X list of worst Chariot names...
            The Nero and Caesar were tied for number I and number II.
            Jeff
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

One has but to consider the source of this list. The writer professes to not have a clue as to what the name "Ostentatienne" means. Even with my high school dropout prowess, I know of the word ostentatious and it's ovious relationship to the car name. DUH............

Given inspired names like "Cube" of late, how long before some inspired designer comes up with "Blob"? Or how about "Dove" - affording a nod to the soap bar of similar shape.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Regardless of whether or not you like these top 10 news articles, It is great to see a Studebaker in a news article. Here's the picture that goes with the article.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dictator.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1672367
                sigpic
                John
                63R-2386
                Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

YUGO should be in there somewhere!

Comment

Of course, when you look at the later '30s, the name Dictator was dropped. So, Studebaker was sensitive to the connotation that the name Dictator evoked.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

What about the Volkswagon "Thing"?
                      Jon Stalnaker
                      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

How about the Mercedes G wagon. What up Gangster.
                        52fan...Lark was taken too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                          If the author had only tried a little harder, the Dictator would be #11.
                          I agree.....the Feather Duster deserves a spot on that list.
                          John Brayton

Comment

Remember, the name "Dictator" was used because the model was supposed to dictate the market in the low priced field at the time. Then war broke out and Studebaker thought it was bad publication and the name was dropped.

It seems that A LOT of the imports have the stranger names. YUGO. What the heck is a yugo? I can't relate to that... CHAMPION. Now there's a car name I understand! Of course, I'm sure that at one point in time there was probably at least one person on the other side of the world wondering what the name "Fairlane" means. ???
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

YUGO was probably because the country it came from was then called Yugoslavia.
                              John Clements
                              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X