PDA

View Full Version : A little bad luck

Flashback
04-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Well, I gambled and lost. I took someone's word and didn't open up the 259 I put in my 53. Guess what. 1800 miles of great fun has just ended. The Saturday nigt special, is down for a while. Oil pressure had gotten down to about ten idling, and about 30 driving. TOO low to suit me. I pulled the pan, and discovered a lot of new bearings and pistons, and oil pump, but the crank is WORN. SO, gotta back up again, and pull the engine and go through it. I will post some pictures as work progresses.

Johnnywiffer
04-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Didn't anybody ever tell ya?

"Life ain't fair!" :mad:

John

Kurt
04-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Not saying that I have never cut corners..... But why would anyone spend the money for all of those new parts, and then match them up with worn out stuff? It's one thing to "take a chance" if its your own. It's totally different if you try to pass it off as overhauled.

Roscomacaw
04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Quite some years ago, I bought a "zerto time" overhauled 259. In spite of being told that everything was like new inside, I pulled the pan and one head to see for myself. By golly, all new, shiny parts, valve job, great crank, etc., etc. Buckled it back up, put it in a car and started driving. Within a thousand miles, it was obvious something wasn't right. By 2K miles, I was re-doing a replacement. As much as new parts instill confidence - COMPETENCE of those assembling those new parts matters!

Sorry for what you're having to deal with, but you're not alone.

63 R2 Hawk
04-13-2012, 10:15 AM
"Rebuilt" can mean a lot of different things to different people.

Kurt
04-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Quite some years ago, I bought a "zerto time" overhauled 259. In spite of being told that everything was like new inside, I pulled the pan and one head to see for myself. By golly, all new, shiny parts, valve job, great crank, etc., etc. Buckled it back up, put it in a car and started driving. Within a thousand miles, it was obvious something wasn't right. By 2K miles, I was re-doing a replacement. As much as new parts instill confidence - COMPETENCE of those assembling those new parts matters!

Sorry for what you're having to deal with, but you're not alone.

Very true. Doing everything right does not guarantee that the person putting things together is capapble.

Johnnywiffer
04-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Not saying that I have never cut corners..... .
Cut corners? Iíve mentioned this on other threads but the outer door handles on the '90-'96 GM minivans (Silhouette/Trans Sport, etc.) are of a defective design. GM HAD to cut corners to make something soooo cheapónot to mention STUPID! But whatís even CHINZY-ERóthe guys who take those stupid USED door handles out of the vans in PnP and attempt to use Ďem. A new one is only $10, including shipping.

But itís the R&R that takes min-fingers thatís really tough. I have never been able to do it without skinning my hands like Iíve been crucified. (Thatís why I have a wife. She has the smallest hands on the planet PLUS that mechanic is FREE!)

John
P.S. While youíre in there replacing the handle, better change out the window motor too. Itís the next corner-cutting thing to go.

woodysrods
04-16-2012, 02:53 PM
While the motor is out it is easy to open up and check. Usually well worth the new gasket set.
Good Roads
Brian

dpson
04-16-2012, 06:53 PM
I had a very similar thing happen, the previous owner did a rebuild, had the crank turned, plastigaged the new bearings, not long after the rebuild there was low oil pressure. I pulled the engine and the bearings had failed, down to the copper backing, both main and rod bearings, it also chewed up the crank. I believe it was a case of the bad bearings that were around a few years ago.

TX Rebel
04-16-2012, 07:03 PM
There is nothing wrong with using a worn crank, but it MUST be round and relatively smooth, with replacement bearings providing proper clearance. If it is round & has light wear, you may use std bearings, but if it is worn & needs to be polished, you will need to use .001 or .002 o.s. brgs. for proper clearance. Loose clearances will open up even more once the rods reach operating temp & the pressure will drop. Dan's story reminds me of a Lark I worked on which had a NOS clover leaf short block installed by p.o., but the idiot re-cycled his old worn out oil pump, and the new crank & bearings were ruined so badly that the crank had to be replaced. The main journals were worn .060, yet the car was still running with a loud rumble but no knocks!

Flashback
04-16-2012, 09:37 PM
My original plan was to get everything worked out on the running gear and suspension, and then drive for s couple thousand miles, dismantle and and build. This was one of the main reasons the engine was not torn down. And then everything and everybody just seemed to say "drive it as is" I am still likin "The Saturday Night Special" in it's natural state. Of course I now have to rebuild. Sooo does anyone have a right side mount orange whirlley thing for sale ? Would you be intrested in any other Stude induction kit (old Offy kits) ? jus thinkin

Flashback
04-16-2012, 09:39 PM
I am trying to get some picture to some members. Please hold on, they are coming.