No announcement yet.

Unusually Nice 1952 LC FS (lotsa pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusually Nice 1952 LC FS (lotsa pics)

So The Studebaker National Museum gets a call from a lady at Bethany Theological Seminary in Richmond IN. Seems as though the school has been gifted an unusually nice Maui Blue 1952 Studebaker Land Cruiser and they'd like to sell it, in that a would-be buyer in the immediate area fell through.

Andy Beckman directs her to call me, being in central Indiana about 90 miles west of Richmond, to take a look-see and offer advice as to marketing the car. I went over today and had a look and found it to be an unusually nice specimen with overdrive that I bet is an excellent tour car with its 1964 full-flow 259...well-disguised as a 1952 232! (pics later)

She knew I was coming and had removed the battery yesterday to have it charged, but it wouldn't take a charge. They are getting a new battery for it and I'll be able to later report more as to operation and driving if need be. (I was not able to hear it run today, but I'll bet it's a good runner. They drove it into this U-Store-It facility last fall.)

They want $11,000 for it (her idea, not mine) and if it runs and drives as well as it looks, that isn't terrible. However, it is negotiable as there will be fees and additional expenses to e-bay it, which is the next step if no interest is generated here:

Studebaker script is loose, so I removed it before it got lost after taking the first picture:

Deck lid is lowered gently for these photos, not latched:

The ONLY rust on the car anywhere is the lower right corner of the deck lid:

Everything tight and original in the trunk compartment:

Electric Fuel Pump in front of LR wheel. Note frame: Nice all over, never any rust issues:

No issues here, either; I pulled off several pieces of undercoat and found the car to be quite sound with no previous repairs. Nice body structure, and seems to have always been so:

Matched Coker house brand 7.10 X 15s all around; nice and supple with no cracking:

Nothing to be afraid of in the Undercarriage Dept:

Cracked steering wheel, to be expected, with decent guages and instrument panel overall:

Nicely reupholstered, although not original, and excellent headliner:

Kinda' looks like the original-issue 232, eh?

OOPS, where's the fuel pump, boss:

Wait a minute! What do we see dangling below?

Mystery solved; check the engine ID:

Overall, I bet this would be an unusually nice, spritely touring sedan, able to keep up with modern iron, and with a nice snort from the 259 through the dual exhausts with glass packs.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the lady in charge. (Being The Wild World-Wide Web, it's probably best that I not post her name and contact information.)

She assures me the car is now titled in the school's name, so there will be no paperwork problems upon ownership transfer. There is nothing in this for me; I'd like to help it find a good home. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That sure looks like a nice example, thanks for posting.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Way out of my reach, but I sure would like to have one like that. That would be a fine highway cruiser for a return trip to South Bend.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Last year a church in Oregon raffled a black '51 Commander with automatic. They sold 500 tickets at $25 apiece. Took most of a year to sell 500 tickets. They drove it to all the swap meets within a couple hundred miles. Car looked very nice in the photos. In real life it needed some work. Worst thing was rust-through above the headlights. I read that it was won by an elderly lady. Don't know what she did with it.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Was it this one?

"In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Is the chrome as nice as it looks ?
            Klif
            55 Speedster/Street Machine
            63 Avanti R2
            64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
              Is the chrome as nice as it looks? Klif
              If you mean on the subject '52 Land Cruiser that opened this topic, Klif: Yes, it is.

I was amazed at how nice the chrome is. 'Best I've ever seen on a '52, as near as I can remember.

(OK, the chrome on Jim Turner's '52 Commander convertible is just as nice, now that I think about it.) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I love those '52s, had 3 of them at one time or another, my first was my Grandma's '52 Champion. I guess that explains my Stude addiction....

Comment

To 52-fan.................It does look like the same car, but I didn't remember it being a Land Cruiser.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

On a 1952 shouldn't the valve covers be black? They are on my '52 motor and people here had told me that was original. My motor is the 232, not sure if that is or not.
                    Pretty car though I love the color.
                    I understand the LC {land cruiser} but what does the FS stand for in the name?

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                      On a 1952 shouldn't the valve covers be black? They are on my '52 motor and people here had told me that was original. My motor is the 232, not sure if that is or not.
                      Pretty car though I love the color.
                      I understand the LC {land cruiser} but what does the FS stand for in the name?
                      Yes, 1952 V8 Rocker Arm Covers would be black.

FS simply means For Sale. BP

Comment

Engine number looks to be 64 259 made in canada.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

True , it came out of a Canadian car but it wasn't built in Canada.
                          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                          X