Steering column rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Steering column rebuild

I am in the process of rebuilding my 64 daytona with a std trans. I have rebuilt the steering box and I am wondering about rebuilding the column as well. I have to replace the turn signal switch. Are there any bushings inside the tube that could be worn? I will replace the grommets that the linkage attaches too. Would I be better to leave the column the way it is and not take it appart? I could not find any mention of rebuilding it in the shop manual

Thanks

T-cab

When/if you take it apart, you can lay out the parts in the order they come off, rather than just tossing them all in a pile.

The chassis parts manual has drawings of all the parts. The little nubs welded onto the shift tube seem to be wear points, as does the collar on the top of the column that holds the shift lever. You might make sure everything is greased properly during reassembly.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      When/if you take it apart, you can lay out the parts in the order they come off, rather than just tossing them all in a pile.

The chassis parts manual has drawings of all the parts. The little nubs welded onto the shift tube seem to be wear points, as does the collar on the top of the column that holds the shift lever. You might make sure everything is greased properly during reassembly.

Thanks. I often forget to record the order of doing things - thanks for the reminder. I am still looking for door window parts. Too many boxes!

T-cab

Comment

Working...
      X