John Studebaker Wheelbarrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Studebaker Wheelbarrows

If this has been posted before, I searched but didn't find it. So, I will claim "New Guy" immunity and carry on. For those of you who know this aspect of Studebaker history, forgive me please. For those that don't know this bit of history, I hope you will find it fascinating....as do I.

In the 1970s, I worked for the City of Placerville, California (aka: Hangtown and Old Dry Diggins). Prominent on Main Street was the site of the John Studebaker workshop and blacksmith shop. The following is copied from the Sierra College posting which can be seen at http://www.sierranevadavirtualmuseum...tudebakerj.htm

Studebaker

Chief, your "new guy" immunity will get yoiu a pass alright, but most of us Stude folks know of this tale aned others regarding the 5 Studebaker brothers and their stories

I"ve always contended that Studebaker - having built "vehicles" for 114 years when they quit - has only so far been eclipsed by Mrecedes-Benz for producing vehicles that long a stretch.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sorry it was so long too. I kinda figured all the old hands knew that stuff. Was more for newbies (like me). As an aside, I wonder what an original Studebaker wheelbarrow or covered wagon would be worth now?

Comment

Worth? Probably quite a bit.

Why sorry about it being long? Ya think we ain't got any "attention span" - us ol' gray-hairs? I LIKE long posts. I like posts with real readable MEAT to them. The days when you had to worry about hogging bandwidth are LONG behind us.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
          I"ve always contended that Studebaker - having built "vehicles" for 114 years when they quit - has only so far been eclipsed by Mrecedes-Benz for producing vehicles that long a stretch.
          BUT.... Mrecedes-Benz was part of Studebaker for a time.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

FWIW there is an original Studebaker wheelbarrow in the ElDorado County Museum at Placerville.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Richard! Thanks for posting that. I knew the background but never read anything about it. To me, that article was short and sweet!
              Carey
              Packard Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                BUT.... Mrecedes-Benz was part of Studebaker for a time.
                Studebaker handled the sales of Mercedes-Benz in the USA for a number of years, but Mercedes-Benz was never "a part of Studebaker".
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I bet Mr. Benz never made a wheelbarrow.
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Good tidbit, Richard... thanks for sharing!
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                    X