Penny-less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penny-less

As of the end of this month, the Royal Canadian Mint will stop minting pennies. They cost 1.6 cents each to make. They aren't going away any time soon, though. There are about 33 billion of them in circulation.

Terry

In NZ the smallest coin is 10 cents. When the other coins were phased out, a time was set when they were no longer legal tender so retailers no longer had to accept them. You can still get your money but you have to take them to the reserve bank to swap.

Comment

When I was in Europe with the military, they didn't use pennies in on-base shops. They rounded everything off to the nearest nickel. It took me about a month to notice.

The other day I was looking at pocket change and I found a 1963 penny. I polished it up and will put it in my 63 Studebaker's ash tray (which I use for small change). Now I need other 63 coins...
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
        As of the end of this month, the Royal Canadian Mint will stop minting pennies. They cost 1.6 cents each to make. They aren't going away any time soon, though. There are about 33 billion of them in circulation.

Terry
        I bet there are more in 5 gallon water bottles and drawers and under car seats than ACTUALLY in circulation...but that would be pure conjecture, or is that speculation?

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
          ...but that would be pure conjecture, or is that speculation?
          I think it's like "motor" and "engine".

John

Comment

Originally posted by nzstude View Post
            In NZ the smallest coin is 10 cents. When the other coins were phased out, a time was set when they were no longer legal tender so retailers no longer had to accept them. You can still get your money but you have to take them to the reserve bank to swap.
            Yes, that's one of the many many many things I love about New Zealand--no more 1 or 5 cent pieces. That, and besides the obvious things, a more sensible GST than in Canada (if you gotta have a tax...) less sugar in just about everything, growing lemon trees outside, no (need) for screens on windows, people calling a spade a damned spade, Murder Burger, Hell Pizza, Kauri trees, California-style bodies on cars (rust? what dat?) that will last just about forever in the temperate climate, gluten-free food everywhere, a very up-front sense of humour, a million kilometers of coastline, and so forth.

The one thing that I just don't quite understand, is the business between the price of gasoline, and the lower price of diesel but pay&display tax--where is the cutoff point where its smarter to go gasoline or diesel? Never was able to figure it out as I didn't have a scientific calculator handy.

Comment

When we phased out the 1, 2 and 5 cent coins it was made into a charity fund raiser. People took their coins to collection points that charities had setup. The amount of coins collected was huge. It filled many large trucks. I wonder how much space 33 billion pennies would take up.
              We searched our house from top to bottom to find all our coins, but even today, nearly ten years later we are still finding them in odd places.
              At the same time as the small coins went we also replaced 1 and 2 dollar notes with coins. All the notes were also redesigned with more security features and different colours. When I have been in the US I find that I have to carefully check which notes I am handing over as they all look the same.
              No one was really bothered by the changes as most people use EFTPOS (electronic funds transfer at point of sale) cards, so don't use cash very much. It is very rare to find a retailer that does not have EFTPOS, even taxi's have it. I myself have not carried cash for the last 5 years. I just have an EFTPOS card. Sure makes your wallet alot lighter.

Comment

Terry
                I'm certain that the United States will follow Canada's lead just as it did when Canada went metric....
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

An auctioneer sold a little metal bank for us that was stuffed with Canadian pennies. I won them playing a silly card game in Haliburton Ont. back in '85. He announced that there might be gold in there! That $3.00 in pennies sold for $15. Wish I had more.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                    I'm certain that the United States will follow Canada's lead just as it did when Canada went metric....
                    You can always hope!!!

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                      I bet there are more in 5 gallon water bottles and drawers and under car seats than ACTUALLY in circulation...but that would be pure conjecture, or is that speculation?
                      I'd say interchangeable, unless you are talking about an investment...

Comment

You can always hope!!!
                        The U.S. has to stop printing ONE DOLLAR BILLS first!! In other words, don't hold your breath!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X