Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find replacement vinyl for 2R seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find replacement vinyl for 2R seat?

The seat in my 2R is in pretty nice shape overall but there is a tear right under the driver's butt. Has anyone been able to find the proper material to match the vinyl in these trucks? I have a good upholstery shop here that could replace just the panel in the seat bottom if I could find the right vinyl, if not I guess I'll have to have the whole seat done which I don't mind from a cost perspective but the original vinyl is kind of unique and I'd like to keep it looking at original as possible.

I think it is a pretty common type. I did my whole seat in my 50 truck and the stuff my upholster got was same as original, no idea what it was called but he had no problem matching it.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Personally, I would consider reupholstering the whole seat. Only because if one spot is cracked then it is likely dried out some, and you may repair that panel and then start to split seams on other spots. They have to pull off the cover, undo the seams, resew the new fabric in, I would guess you are looking at $150-200 just for that. I just had my entire seat done, new pad, all new cover for $350 including all the fabrics and materials. For me it would not be worth the $100-200 savings to not just do it all and be done with it for many years. BTIJM.

Comment

It was called transport vinyl in my upholsterers book. Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks all! I probably will have the whole seat done I just didn't want to go with a plain vinyl if the original style pattern was available.

Comment

I am sure if you are doing the whole thing you can come close enough to appease most critics other than a concours show. Maybe not exact, but very close color and print pattern.

Comment

This is what mine turned out like , the stuff is out there.
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                I am sure if you are doing the whole thing you can come close enough to appease most critics other than a concours show. Maybe not exact, but very close color and print pattern.
                Point taken, I'm not sure why I'm getting caught up on it, this won't be a concourse restoration

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                This is what mine turned out like , the stuff is out there.
                Looks good but the pattern is nothing like what is in my truck now, then again I need to stop being compulsive about it because I'd be proud to have a seat that looked that good.

Comment

If you'll call Jim at 304 337 8693, I'm sure he has the same material.

Comment

Looks like school bus upholstry.
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Didn't they used to call that stuff oil-cloth? It was slicker and stiffer than vinyl.

Comment

Working...
                      X