No announcement yet.

How viable is a swap from manual to automatic transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: How viable is a swap from manual to automatic transmission

I've been on the lookout for a Studebaker, preferably a 59 or 60 Lark, for about a year. Because of health/mobility issues, I need an automatic...but the cars I've found locally have all been manuals. Is it a reasonable undertaking to convert a manual car to automatic? I have seen adapter setups for converting to late model GM automatics. Will that work starting with a manual car? Would going the adapter and late model transmission be more cost effective than trying to find a good condition Studebaker transmission?

Regardless, I would be swapping the steering column for and aftermarket tilt unit, and converting to a firewall mount pedal/master/booster setup for the brakes, so those will not be a factor.

I've not done this swap, but realistically, I feel it would be cost effective to find a car with the desired transmission and sell the more desirable manual transmission car. While the swap is possible, it's not easy.

Comment

The transmission swap is cake, as long as you keep it all Studebaker. All the Studebaker parts are readily available and inexpensive. To pay someone to do the GM automatic swap correctly with a rebuilt transmission will cost at least $2500.

Regardless, I would be swapping the steering column for and aftermarket tilt unit, and converting to a firewall mount pedal/master/booster setup for the brakes, so those will not be a factor.
      What you may not understand is the change to swing pedals and a tilt wheel is far more difficult, because there aren't any bolt-in conversions for these two.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Look for a '61 Lark - first year for the firewall mount master cylinder/swing brake pedal. (Not to mention all the other 1961 improvements!)

Comment

To: Zandoz,---Well, on the bright side, it's less work than going the other way! (Auto to Manual)

Comment

The only thing I miss about my first 55 was the standard tranny. It had been converted to floor shift and even with first gear defunct, it was a blast. The automatic is nice, but hearing a 259 wind out in second is bliss.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

To: warrlaw1,-----You said it! Studebaker column shift linkage really doesn't make it. I hate to cut into the tunnel, but a good floorshift conversion really makes the car much more fun to drive!

Comment

My father did that years ago and it did not work out the best. The main problem was the ratio of the rear end. The car came with a 3.00:1 rear end. When changed to an auto it had terrible performance and gas mileage. I have since changed it back. If your rear end was a 3.30:1 the swap may make sense. There is also the problem with having to change the steering column.

t-cab

Comment

When I did mine, I used the powershift floor shift parts. Other than the shift pattern being different, it works very well. That saves you from having to swap steering column parts. Mine is a 289 with 3.07 gears. For most driving it is fine, although I do find myself pulling the shifter into Low quite a bit. A 3.31 axle would probably make it better. Other than finding all of the floor shift pieces, it was a very simple swap.
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                    I've not done this swap, but realistically, I feel it would be cost effective to find a car with the desired transmission and sell the more desirable manual transmission car. While the swap is possible, it's not easy.
                    If I can find an automatic car, I'll certainly go that route, but so far I've not had any luck finding one relatively local...but I've found several manual transmission cars. Making the search more difficult is the fact that I'm reluctant to start cutting up a car to fit my needs that is otherwise in a condition making it a candidate for a proper restoration. I'm looking for something in a condition between restoration candidate and so far gone that it's only good as a parts car.

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    The transmission swap is cake, as long as you keep it all Studebaker. All the Studebaker parts are readily available and inexpensive. To pay someone to do the GM automatic swap correctly with a rebuilt transmission will cost at least $2500.
                    My hope is to keep it all Studebaker. The adapter and GM tranny setup is a second choice.

What you may not understand is the change to swing pedals and a tilt wheel is far more difficult, because there aren't any bolt-in conversions for these two.

jack vines
                    I realize that neither is likely to be easy. On the bright side, my best friend is an excellent fabricator, and is anxious to help. Without power brakes and a tilt wheel I wouldn't be able to drive the car. If I can find an under-floor brake booster and dual master, I'll not do the pedal conversion. The only way I can see to keep the original column would be to rig up a way to use the manual column shifter to work with the automatic, and find a quick-disconnect for the steering wheel.

Comment

If I can find an under-floor brake booster and dual http://www.mpbrakes.com/index.cfmmaster, I'll not do the pedal conversion.
                      The hot rod books are full of under-floor boosters. Shouldn't be a problem there. Check out Master Power Brakes as a starter. http://www.mpbrakes.com/index.cfm

An Avanti steering box should fit a Lark and has a rag joint, so any OEM or aftermarket column with a tilt wheel can easily be adapted.

jack vines

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

I would go the adapter and a 700r4 or a 200r4 you would be a whole lot happier with the end results. Give the low end to get moving and the lock up makes for a nice top gear ratio.

Comment

The hot rod books are full of under-floor boosters. Shouldn't be a problem there. Check out Master Power Brakes as a starter. http://www.mpbrakes.com/index.cfm

An Avanti steering box should fit a Lark and has a rag joint, so any OEM or aftermarket column with a tilt wheel can easily be adapted.

jack vines

jack vines

I've seen the under floor booster setups, and in the past I'd dismissed them because it seemed to me that at least part of the 7" minimum booster would hang below the frame and be in peril. But your bringing that up triggered a thought....some type of skid plate arrangement to protect it.

I like the idea of going with the Avanti steering box. How hard is it to come by an Avanti box? Could that be a route to getting power steering as a bonus?

Comment

I like the idea of going with the Avanti steering box. How hard is it to come by an Avanti box? Could that be a route to getting power steering as a bonus?
                            Given the ongoing enthusiasm here for the Slick Street kit and for various rack and pinion steering conversions, leftover Avanti PS systems should be thick on the ground. Suggest starting a separate WTB thread here and see what turns up.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                            X