PDA

View Full Version : SDC Board of Director Voting Results on the SDC web page

Bob Henning
04-10-2012, 07:39 AM
The SDC Board of Directors voted at their February 22, 2012 meeting to make voting actions taken by the Board available on-line. This is something that the majority of the Board felt was necessary so that the membership would know the voting results of their individual Zone Director and to encourage transparency, and participation in our Club. Your Board of Directors vote on items pertaining to the Club throughout the year, not just on Monday of the International Meet. Please take a moment and look at the results of your individual Zone Director. If you have an idea or suggestion that you want to make, please don't hesitate to contact your Zone Director as well. You can find the voting results in the Studebaker News area on the main web page:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sn_boardactions.asp

2R5
04-10-2012, 09:48 AM
I think this is a great idea , one thing that should be added is that the membership should know ahead of time what is going to be voted on so they have the opportunity to voice their opinion to their director.

Chris Pile
04-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Of course, now that we know who voted against having this info online, I've got to wonder - why would they be against this?
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but those "No" voters might be better served to explain themselves.

ddub
04-10-2012, 11:28 AM
I was surprised at the count, 8 in favor, 6 opposed. I expected it would have been near unanimous in favor. There must have been some good arguments against.

studegary
04-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Look down the list of 15. One is a semi-regular on the Forum and another is an occasional poster. If you are looking for feedback on the reason to vote against this, I do not think that you will find it here. I have stated that I believe that some level of awareness and participation in the Forum should be a requirement of SDC officers and Directors.

8E45E
04-10-2012, 01:32 PM
I have stated that I believe that some level of awareness and participation in the Forum should be a requirement of SDC officers and Directors.

I won't be surprised if we see Webinars for all those who are unable to attend an Interantional Meet. That way, one can 'tune in' from their home.

Craig

2R5
04-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Craig , don't laugh , the way gas prices are going we may need that !

8E45E
04-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Craig , don't laugh , the way gas prices are going we may need that !

Laugh?? Why would I laugh at newer form of interactive communication that is proving to be very effective, and actually WORKS? Here in the workplace, we use Webinars all the time with manufacturers for new product information and updates on installation methods for current products on a regular basis. And the Q & A seminar at the end of each session often gives us a lot of answers. I have mentioned in the past, the internet and e-mail can be taken as an "essential service" now, and one can easily be left behind without it.

Craig

Corvanti
04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I second Craig's motion re: "Webinars"!

all in favor..... :)

Chris Pile
04-10-2012, 04:30 PM
There must have been some good arguments against.

Probably not.
If there are, let's hear 'em.

Bob Henning
04-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Gary,

I completely agree with you, awareness of what is going on within this Forum should be happening. Besides that, if one doesn't read the many interesting threads going on here they are really missing out on some very informative material. I have learned a great deal from fellow members on these forums. I am a Board member, at least until April 15th. By the number of postings you would think I am seldom here. Not so. I read the postings most every morning.

Chris Pile
04-10-2012, 08:35 PM
By the number of postings you would think I am seldom here. Not so. I read the postings most every morning.

It's my understanding that some SDC members never register here, but do read the posts.
(right, George?)

BobGlasscock
04-10-2012, 08:46 PM
As ignorant as I am as to the goings-on of the clubs administration, I wish ALL of the meetings minutes and votes were posted. I don't really know how else to know what is going on. My local club is no good in this respect and I have quit attending. And, apparently, none of them have noticed. This forum is my Studebaker Club source, and I love it. Is it too much to get administrative doings posted here?

According to the voting on putting it online, it appears to me that there are elected people who don't want others to know what they are doing, and that is just wrong. I don't know what zone I am in, and I don't know who is my 'leader', but if they voted no, they'd be on the way out.

58PackardWagon
04-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Excellent form of communication ! Good to see our club go in this direction. One question......what is this "did not vote" stuff? How difficult is it to vote? What is involved with the voting process? Why would someone not vote? Please help me better understand. Thank you

JimC
04-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Re: Webinars - For the last year and a half I've been working as a director of a behavioral treatment home. Before that I was a video and film producer for years. As a SDC member, I would gladly produce the actual webinars at no cost to benefit the Stude world at large. My biggest challenge would be the time and funds to make the trip to the Meet.

I'm a huge huge advocate of using technology in the preservation of history. Seriously, if you need an eye opener, go sit in a mall food court for a couple hours and try to count the number of people who are using smart phones, tablets, or other technology. Before long you'll give up and start counting people who don't have them, because it's easier. I used to manage a mall customer service desk several years ago. Even then, it was a rare day if I didn't see at least one couple sit at a table, and each of them would stare at their phones without talking to one another.

This can be a hard pill for some folks to swallow, but technology is the new standard for communication today. If we want Studebakers to survive too much farther into the 21st century, not just using technology, but really embracing it is necessary. The SDC should be active here. There should be a formal SDC facebook page and twitter account, and there should be content that gets the 20 something out there to think of the Studebaker as more than their great grandpa's relic car.

Sorry, that's a soapbox subject for me. I'll stop before I start foaming at the mouth.

showbizkid
04-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm glad to see the Board doing this. Transparency is a good thing.

Those with questions about voting in general or individual votes - why not contact your Zone rep and ask directly? Posting your query here amounts to a rhetorical question :)

studegary
04-11-2012, 03:34 PM
As ignorant as I am as to the goings-on of the clubs administration, I wish ALL of the meetings minutes and votes were posted. I don't really know how else to know what is going on. My local club is no good in this respect and I have quit attending. And, apparently, none of them have noticed. This forum is my Studebaker Club source, and I love it. Is it too much to get administrative doings posted here?

According to the voting on putting it online, it appears to me that there are elected people who don't want others to know what they are doing, and that is just wrong. I don't know what zone I am in, and I don't know who is my 'leader', but if they voted no, they'd be on the way out.

You are in the South Central Zone. Ebon Jones of Texas is your Director. He voted against the posting of votes.

Skip Lackie
04-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Look down the list of 15. One is a semi-regular on the Forum and another is an occasional poster. If you are looking for feedback on the reason to vote against this, I do not think that you will find it here. I have stated that I believe that some level of awareness and participation in the Forum should be a requirement of SDC officers and Directors.
Gary-
I wish to register a mild disagreement with your requirement that all board members follow this forum. I think there are many attributes that contribute to making a good, productive board member. One of them is surely an awareness of what’s going on here. But another is attendance at as many local/region/zone meets and business meetings as possible. And another might be willingness to serve on various committees, some of which can be real time-burners. And finally, a willingness to take the job seriously: taking the time to read and understand the bylaws, minutes of previous meetings, other pertinent material (and suggest changes if needed), and stay on top of what’s going on in the club. Since you were on the board, you understand that (whether we like it or not), SDC is also a corporation that publishes a magazine, insures car meets, charters legal subsidiaries, and conducts other business. There will be times when some knowledge of not-for-profit tax law or USPS regulations will be more useful to the club than how to set the valves on a Stude V8.

The active contributors to this forum represent maybe 10% of the membership. Lurkers and infrequent posters might amount to another 5% or so. We are certainly more “active” – at least in one sense of the term. But we need to be careful that we don’t conclude that participation on this board makes us better SDC members than those who don’t. Someone who has no interest in the forum but regularly attends every possible meet in his/her zone may have a better handle on what the members in their zone are thinking than those of us who use this forum as their principal line of communication.

There clearly have always been board members who enjoy the “prestige” of being a board member (though I never noticed it much), but don’t do much except show up at the intl meets and vote as required. But I also know that some of our most productive board members rarely, if ever, make their presence known here.

8E45E
04-11-2012, 05:02 PM
But another is attendance at as many local/region/zone meets and business meetings as possible.

Hence, my suggestion for Webinars, as we all know one cannot make them all. As well, webinars would be able to accommodate our overseas members, with time zones being the only possible hinderance.

Craig

58PackardWagon
04-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Just got this pc fired up and was looking forward to seeing some specific replies out-lining the rules for voting as I questioned above. I guess I will need to take a look at the bylaws. The reason why I asked was because I was very surprised with the large number of "no votes" with such a small number of board members. From my previous experience with other boards, to not vote, only came into play once. If an individual on the board was to close to a situation rather than cause a conflict of interest or cause possible mis-conduct, they could explain themselves out to the board and ask for a withdrawl prior to the vote. This too required board review and approval. Otherwise you had better of studied what was being voted on, known all of the facts, understood very well those that you were representing and be prepare to vote. Not voting because you didn't feel like it was not allowable. I am not saying that this happened here, please do not get me wrong. I am not accusing anyone of anything. I am just attempting to better understand the rules and process of this board when it comes to voting.

Oh, and by the way I think the posting of these results is a move in the right direction. Accountability, integrity and experience is everything when you are a board member. Thank you

Skip Lackie
04-12-2012, 08:31 AM
I was on the board both before and after Internet/email voting started. Previously, it had been done by marking paper ballots and mailing them back to the secretary. Things like amendments were so difficult to handle by mail that the board tended to postpone all but the most trivial issues for discussion at the intl meet. The rules in the bylaws have continued to evolve since the email procedure started in such areas as to how long to wait for a second, how to treat amendments, time allowed for discussion, deadlines for final voting, etc. As a result, I can't answer your question regarding exactly how it's done today. I DO know that complex issues are still a lot more difficult to resolve by email than they are during the annual intl meet, when everything is done face-to-face.

I cannot explain the "did not vote" numbers, except to note that abstaining is a perfectly legitimate action, depending on the circumstances. It's possible that some of those are really abstentions. There are also a few other possible explanations, including a vacation overseas or somewhere where only dial-up is available, medical problem or other family crisis, and simply losing track of the deadline for voting in the avalanche of email that comes in every day.

BShaw
04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Having board actions available online is a good idea, However, had I been on the board I would have voted against it. Why?

My personal opinion is internal SDC administrative things need to be open to SDC MEMBERS ONLY. "Public" posting of board actions or any type of internal club administration activities is not, IMHO, in the best interest of the club.

There is a secure "members' only" area where internal activities can be reported without "hanging our underwear" out in public. While the "members area" has a separate account/login than the forum that's really no big deal. Board voting results and all kinds of other things could be accessible in this secure area (bylaws and minutes come to mind).

If I were on the board and had the motion specified that the voting results be available only to SDC members in good standing I would have voted in the affirmative.

Also, I wonder about the value of posting just the results. We see how each board member voted but we have absolutely no "context". That is, we do not know what discussion went on before the vote and, as has been mentioned by others, we do not know "why" individuals voted the way they did.

So, this leads to "speculation", which we've seen expressed here. I don't think speculation serves any good purpose. Better to either post "the whole story" or not at all.

Again, just my personal opinion.

Skip Lackie
04-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Probably not.
If there are, let's hear 'em.
I don’t know what the reasoning was behind the “no” votes, but without knowing how the discussion went, I think it’s a little unfair to ascribe ulterior motives (eg, to quote Bob Glasscock: “that there are elected people who don't want others to know what they are doing”) to those that voted no.

For example: (1) Were there other alternative proposals being discussed that would have provided even more transparency? (2) Were there any amendments or other phraseology that were rejected? (3) The new policy appears to only apply to votes taken by email during the year, in between intl meets. It does not appear to apply to the votes (by far the most numerous and usually the most important) that are taken during the annual board meeting. Most of the time, the minutes printed in TW only include the totals, not the individual votes. The only way to get that info at present is to attend the board meeting in person. It’s true that SDC members are welcome to sit in on the annual board meetings, but only a handful bother – and even fewer have the intestinal fortitude to sit through the whole thing. So if this new policy only applies to a small percentage of the annual board votes, is it really that big of a deal?

I recall some politican being taken to task for admitting that (paraphrasing) he had “voted for it before he voted against it”. A really unfortunate verbal blunder, but his problem was that he objected to OTHER provisions of a particular proposal so strongly that he had to vote against something that he fundamentally favored. I actually had to do that on a couple of occasions while I was on the board: I felt that the language was ambiguous, fatally flawed, or contained some other objectionable provision, even though I was in favor of the general idea. By voting "no", you hope that the defeat of the proposal will allow a more reasonable approach to succeed.

Very, very few of us pay much attention to the administration of the club. I only read a small percentage of the postings on the forum, yet I often see questions or comments that were already addressed or answered in the minutes of the board meeting that were printed in TW. How many of us read them? And if we see something we don’t like, how many of us bother to contact our board member?

Mark57
04-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Having board actions available online is a good idea

My personal opinion is internal SDC administrative things need to be open to SDC MEMBERS ONLY. "Public" posting of board actions or any type of internal club administration activities is not, IMHO, in the best interest of the club.

If I were on the board and had the motion specified that the voting results be available only to SDC members in good standing I would have voted in the affirmative.

Also, I wonder about the value of posting just the results. We see how each board member voted but we have absolutely no "context". That is, we do not know what discussion went on before the vote and, as has been mentioned by others, we do not know "why" individuals voted the way they did.

Bob - You have captured almost my exact thoughts. These are the kinds of things that are relevant and important to MEMBERS and are really nobody else's business. ;)

58PackardWagon
04-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Mr Shaw you made some very good points. We will have to see how it goes. Is there a large group of individuals who are "not in good standing". I am not aware of any.

BobGlasscock
04-18-2012, 05:26 PM
So much for contacting my zone director. I did a week ago and haven't heard a thing. My cynicism survives.