PDA

View Full Version : Motor to trans tuning?



gordr
07-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Bob, not unless you lose the dowel pins. The caveat is that one has to be pretty certain that the engine and bellhousing were mates from the factory.

If the engine number agrees with the build sheet, odds are pretty good that the bellhousing is original. How many ever get changed?

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

DWard
07-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Hello again Everyone!

Here's another one. I searched thru the data base & could not find anything on this.
I was reading some time ago(can't fing the article now)that if you ever changed from the factory motor or transmission, that you have to do some indicator thing to get the new motor lined up properly with the trans. I always thought that if the car had a flightomatic transmission , that any flightomatic would bolt right up again with no problem. I'm no stranger to an indicator ( I'm a machinist by trade)but I am not familiar with this. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this. One of the reasons I ask is I got the factory build sheet for my car, and the engine has been changed. It had a pretty bad vibration at take off, but I found that the driveshaft was tuned wrong.Correcting this took care of 90% of the problem, but there is still a small "shudder" at take off. New U-joints will hopefully fix the other 10%, but just in case it does'nt, I was interested in the other question. Regards----Dan

JDP
07-07-2007, 11:05 PM
If the bell housing was is swapped from one engine to another, it needs to be dialed in or the main shaft or torque converter will not be centered on the pilot bearing. On a stick, that may cause you to pop out of gear, wear out a bearing and the like. With a AT, it'll usually crack the flex plate.

JDP/Maryland
64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
63 GT R2
63 Lark 2 door
62 Gt Hawk
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

bams50
07-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Along these lines: What if you pull a bell or auto trans. and put it back on the same engine; does that have to be "dialed" back in?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

DEEPNHOCK
07-08-2007, 10:04 AM
If the same bellhousing goes back on the same block, there's no need to re-dial in the bellhousing...
Only if you put a different bellhousing on.
Jeff[8D]
PS: If you use the search function here you can find a lot of info on this subject...
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5234&SearchTerms=bellhousing
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6861&SearchTerms=bellhousing
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4716&SearchTerms=dial,in
http://racingstudebakers.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=76&page=5
And of course:
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/techtips.asp


quote:Originally posted by bams50

Along these lines: What if you pull a bell or auto trans. and put it back on the same engine; does that have to be "dialed" back in?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

DWard
07-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for your input---gordr & JDP & DEEPNHOCK(THANKS FOR THE LINKS)

Regards----Dan