PDA

View Full Version : Grandpas Hawks Stories

mbstude
07-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Hey, those are some good storied there! You should send them to Turning Wheels.

They remind me a lot of what my grandad has told me all my life, about him and his '57 Silver Hawk. (289 with OD trans) That is one quick car...

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/provingground2.jpg

mbstude
07-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Hey, those are some good storied there! You should send them to Turning Wheels.

They remind me a lot of what my grandad has told me all my life, about him and his '57 Silver Hawk. (289 with OD trans) That is one quick car...

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA

1961HAWK
07-07-2007, 09:55 PM
I am posting this story from another topic and i think i will add others 1 by 1.
erin

here is how 1 story goes.MY GRANDPA HAD A 1960 LARK 2 DOOR Hardtop 259 3 spd. He also owned a bar close to mark center Ohio. 1 night in november 1960 they we robbed at gun point. After the robber left Granpa went it to pursit in the lark, but never caught them. all they knew was it was a blackk 55 chevy. the next monday grandpa went back to the studebaker dealer and ordered my 1961 Hawk for the sole purpose of catching anyone else that robbed him. When all the order paper work was done there was a fee for shipping the car. Grandpa asked about that and they told him it would be loaded on a hauler and go to michigan the to Ohio. He threw a fit. From past experiance he didnt want it loaded on a hauler in fact he didnt want anyone at the factory driving it. He threw such a fit the dealer agreed to go to the factory and pick it up and drive it to ohio. That suited him so that is what they did. He got the car in January of 61. In june of 1961 they were robbed again this time not successfully. Grandpa to a knife to the stomach. 1 of the robbers got shot by grandpa the other two fled. Grandma trying to grandpa to go to the hospital was surprised to find him getting in the hawk and backing out of the drive she ran and got in but to her surprise he wasnt going to the hospital he was going to catch the other two guys. She said she had never been so fast inher life and dont know how he kept the hawk on the old roads. they were gaining hard on the robbers and he told her to get the plate number when they went by. they went by so fast she only got 2 numbers. so he slowed down and they passed him then the got the number and went to the police station and gave them the number from the plate of a Black 55 chevy. the men were arrested the next day. the 1 was picked up at the bar, alive. 1 of the officers ask grandpa how fast he was going that the driver of the 55 chevy said he was couldnt believe how fast that hawk was. grandpa response was i m not sure when the speedo got past straight down i quit paying attention.
i have more to come

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
07-07-2007, 09:56 PM
here is story two.

My uncle was 17 years old and had dads car, my 1961 Hawk. He was running around town and started heading home. he was running a striaght streach of road when he noticed a car coming up behind him. the car quickly over cam him and passed him. it was a 60 corvette. well bobby being the person he was didnt care for that. so he dropped to second gear and let the hawk unwind. before he was out of second he had matched the speed of the vette. he let the car go into overdrive and second continued to climb. he pulled out and passed the vette just as he was getting by the vette he reached up and put the hawk in 3rd and massed the gas to get it out of overdrive. i guess this looked real impressive to corvette drive who was amazed and didnt have anything left. bobby finished him off and headed for home. the next day bobby was cleaning up at grandpas bar. grandpa was tending the bar. when a guy came in and ask who owned the green studebaker hawk out side. grandpa said that would be me. he then asked what he wanted for it. he was going to by it. grandpa said it wasnt for sell then inquired, " Mister i just saw you pull up in a corvette what do you want with my old studebaker?" the guy responded ,"last night that Studebaker out ran me so bad i thought i was in a rambler!" grandpa said really well just how bad did it out run you. he said at about 110 he seen the drive shift into 3rd gear and the car just pulled away. Grandpa then pulled Bobby over who had heard the entire conversation. And said, " Mister you dont have to worry about this boy out running your corvette ever again because i dont think he can move near that fast on foot." For along time when bobby wanted to use the hawk he got the lark.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
07-07-2007, 09:56 PM
here is story two.

My uncle was 17 years old and had dads car, my 1961 Hawk. He was running around town and started heading home. he was running a striaght streach of road when he noticed a car coming up behind him. the car quickly over cam him and passed him. it was a 60 corvette. well bobby being the person he was didnt care for that. so he dropped to second gear and let the hawk unwind. before he was out of second he had matched the speed of the vette. he let the car go into overdrive and second continued to climb. he pulled out and passed the vette just as he was getting by the vette he reached up and put the hawk in 3rd and massed the gas to get it out of overdrive. i guess this looked real impressive to corvette drive who was amazed and didnt have anything left. bobby finished him off and headed for home. the next day bobby was cleaning up at grandpas bar. grandpa was tending the bar. when a guy came in and ask who owned the green studebaker hawk out side. grandpa said that would be me. he then asked what he wanted for it. he was going to by it. grandpa said it wasnt for sell then inquired, " Mister i just saw you pull up in a corvette what do you want with my old studebaker?" the guy responded ,"last night that Studebaker out ran me so bad i thought i was in a rambler!" grandpa said really well just how bad did it out run you. he said at about 110 he seen the drive shift into 3rd gear and the car just pulled away. Grandpa then pulled Bobby over who had heard the entire conversation. And said, " Mister you dont have to worry about this boy out running your corvette ever again because i dont think he can move near that fast on foot." For along time when bobby wanted to use the hawk he got the lark.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

Karl
07-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Thems a pair of real good stories. But having driven the Twin in my youth. I tend to lean towards the second one.:D

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
64 Avanti R3w/NOS
88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Karl
07-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Thems a pair of real good stories. But having driven the Twin in my youth. I tend to lean towards the second one.:D

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
64 Avanti R3w/NOS
88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

1961HAWK
07-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Story number 3.
1 night at Grandpas bar to guys were argueing about whos car was faster. 1 had a 1957 ford thunderbird the other had a 58 corvette. Well grandpa being a good bar keep. listen to the arguement until the men decide to race. They decided grandpa would be a good judge so they head out to the flat ground the Corvette the thunderbird and grandpa in the Hawk. when they arrvied at where they were going to race the each got out and removed air cleaners and made thier adjustments to race. They told grandpa to go down the road a piece and wait but he suggested he would be behind them and when his headlights came on they were to race and he assued them that by the end of the race he would be close enough to tell who won. So that is what they did. Grandpa turned on his lights and they were off grandpa right behind them. he said around 70 the corvette was pulling ahead and around 90 it had enough room to get in front of the thunderbird, so when it pulled in he just he continued on right past the thunderbird then the vette and back home to the bar. When he got back to the bar the other patrons asked who won he said the Corvette. The corvette guy didnt come back to the bar, but the thuinderbird guy did to make sure eveyone knew exactly what happened to that corvette.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
07-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Story number 3.
1 night at Grandpas bar to guys were argueing about whos car was faster. 1 had a 1957 ford thunderbird the other had a 58 corvette. Well grandpa being a good bar keep. listen to the arguement until the men decide to race. They decided grandpa would be a good judge so they head out to the flat ground the Corvette the thunderbird and grandpa in the Hawk. when they arrvied at where they were going to race the each got out and removed air cleaners and made thier adjustments to race. They told grandpa to go down the road a piece and wait but he suggested he would be behind them and when his headlights came on they were to race and he assued them that by the end of the race he would be close enough to tell who won. So that is what they did. Grandpa turned on his lights and they were off grandpa right behind them. he said around 70 the corvette was pulling ahead and around 90 it had enough room to get in front of the thunderbird, so when it pulled in he just he continued on right past the thunderbird then the vette and back home to the bar. When he got back to the bar the other patrons asked who won he said the Corvette. The corvette guy didnt come back to the bar, but the thuinderbird guy did to make sure eveyone knew exactly what happened to that corvette.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

StudeRich
07-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Erin; these are the BEST hot rodder/racer stories I have ever seen![^]
Simply GREAT! [^]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
07-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Erin; these are the BEST hot rodder/racer stories I have ever seen![^]
Simply GREAT! [^]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

JRoberts
07-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Great stories!
I'm surprised the Lark wasn't fast enought however. I remember reading a story after I got my first Studebaker, a '59 Lark hardtop. The story was about a police department somewhere that had just added a new '59 or '60 Lark to its fleet of patrol cars. There was one car in town that the department was never able to catch. It was an Oldsmobile Rocket 88 or 98 (I don't remember which). Well, it seemed that nobody on the force wanted to be assigned to the Lark. It was too small and obviously to slow. One evening a young officer who had the bad luck to draw the Studebaker for his ride that night came across the Oldsmobile that the force had been uunable to apprehend. Begrudgingly the officer gave chase and much to his surprise, he kept up with the Olds. Finally the driver of the Olds simply pulled over. He later confessed that he could not out run the Studebaker patrol car and was nervous when the officer kept ramming him to nudge him into submission!

I wish I could remember where I read that article, but as a Lark owner I was impressed. As a Lark driver I could see it happening.
Joe Roberts

JRoberts
07-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Great stories!
I'm surprised the Lark wasn't fast enought however. I remember reading a story after I got my first Studebaker, a '59 Lark hardtop. The story was about a police department somewhere that had just added a new '59 or '60 Lark to its fleet of patrol cars. There was one car in town that the department was never able to catch. It was an Oldsmobile Rocket 88 or 98 (I don't remember which). Well, it seemed that nobody on the force wanted to be assigned to the Lark. It was too small and obviously to slow. One evening a young officer who had the bad luck to draw the Studebaker for his ride that night came across the Oldsmobile that the force had been uunable to apprehend. Begrudgingly the officer gave chase and much to his surprise, he kept up with the Olds. Finally the driver of the Olds simply pulled over. He later confessed that he could not out run the Studebaker patrol car and was nervous when the officer kept ramming him to nudge him into submission!

I wish I could remember where I read that article, but as a Lark owner I was impressed. As a Lark driver I could see it happening.
Joe Roberts

63larkr1
07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
I think that was in TW.
Richard

63larkr1
07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
I think that was in TW.
Richard

sumf
07-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Thirty years ago, in the Mass -RI Chapter, we had a retired USAF (Physical retirement, IIRC) who had a black '64 4-door Lark.
He was a bit shrivelled, due to his ailment I guess.
He would get behind a couple of kids getting ready to drag, follow them up to 60 MPH or so, then blink his lights and wave at them to get out of his way.

Oh, it was a super-Lark, as you probably guessed.
Karl

sumf
07-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Thirty years ago, in the Mass -RI Chapter, we had a retired USAF (Physical retirement, IIRC) who had a black '64 4-door Lark.
He was a bit shrivelled, due to his ailment I guess.
He would get behind a couple of kids getting ready to drag, follow them up to 60 MPH or so, then blink his lights and wave at them to get out of his way.

Oh, it was a super-Lark, as you probably guessed.
Karl

1961HAWK
07-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Episode 4 " How Fast will it go"
My uncle how was about 18 at the time was leaving Mark Center Ohio heading home. I dont recall the highway number but i believe it heads west for about 10 miles straight as an arrow. When he pulled out of town he laid the hammer down. He ran it all the way though 3rd gear the let it go into overdrive. He continue to pull over drive third gear for almost 4 miles. He swearsthe speedo was wrapped around to 35mph and the car doing 5500rpm in overdrive 3rd gear. At th4 road 4 miles out of town he let out on the gas and coasted. at the next mile he applied the brakes after a short stent on the brakes he said they didnt do much good he coasted at the road 6 miles out of town he wanted to make a left turn we he didnt attempt to turn when he went by the raod he was still doing more than 120mph.

its a wonder i ever ended up with my hawk, it should be scattered all over ohio.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
07-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Episode 4 " How Fast will it go"
My uncle how was about 18 at the time was leaving Mark Center Ohio heading home. I dont recall the highway number but i believe it heads west for about 10 miles straight as an arrow. When he pulled out of town he laid the hammer down. He ran it all the way though 3rd gear the let it go into overdrive. He continue to pull over drive third gear for almost 4 miles. He swearsthe speedo was wrapped around to 35mph and the car doing 5500rpm in overdrive 3rd gear. At th4 road 4 miles out of town he let out on the gas and coasted. at the next mile he applied the brakes after a short stent on the brakes he said they didnt do much good he coasted at the road 6 miles out of town he wanted to make a left turn we he didnt attempt to turn when he went by the raod he was still doing more than 120mph.

its a wonder i ever ended up with my hawk, it should be scattered all over ohio.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
07-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Episode 5 " avoid a crash"
Grandpa and his younger brother Earl were heading to Kentucky for a family reunion. Grandpa had decide to let earl drive since earls studebaker was a lark VI. they were running along just fine when they happened along a log truck. earl followed the log for a long way up and over hills and around curves until they came to a passing zone earl crept up on the truck then downshifted to second and layed into the throttle. the hawk kicked out of overdrive and lunged forward. Grandpa seen the logs coming so he curled up in a ball and whimperd in the floor. Earl cut hard to the left and said the back of the truck could have missed the piller of the windshield by more than a couple inches. the rest of the pass was uneventfull. after the pass grandpa edged back into his seat and said," Damn it earl this isnt a lark VI. This is a Studebaker V-8 you got the power to get the job done, pull out then floor it." shortly they came to a gas station where granpa had him pull over so he could drive. Earl said i think that was the last time he let me drive that car.
I havent let him drive it either.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
07-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Episode 5 " avoid a crash"
Grandpa and his younger brother Earl were heading to Kentucky for a family reunion. Grandpa had decide to let earl drive since earls studebaker was a lark VI. they were running along just fine when they happened along a log truck. earl followed the log for a long way up and over hills and around curves until they came to a passing zone earl crept up on the truck then downshifted to second and layed into the throttle. the hawk kicked out of overdrive and lunged forward. Grandpa seen the logs coming so he curled up in a ball and whimperd in the floor. Earl cut hard to the left and said the back of the truck could have missed the piller of the windshield by more than a couple inches. the rest of the pass was uneventfull. after the pass grandpa edged back into his seat and said," Damn it earl this isnt a lark VI. This is a Studebaker V-8 you got the power to get the job done, pull out then floor it." shortly they came to a gas station where granpa had him pull over so he could drive. Earl said i think that was the last time he let me drive that car.
I havent let him drive it either.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
episode 6 second gear.
Grandpa and some buddies were on a trip to Michigan to get a trunk full of mushrooms. On the way up 1 of the guys was bugging him and made the comment, Kelly, I thought this car was fast? How come you drive like an old man?
Grandpa responded by saying this car will run faster in second gear than you have ever been. That guy laughed and said ill put ten bucks on that. So grandpa being the good sport pushed the clutch in and said reach over and put it in second and we will see just how fast you want to go. So he put it in second and grandpa rolled the throttle down to wide open throttle but not enough to kick it out of overdrive. In not much time at all the were over a 100 mph. that guy said that pretty good for second. Grandpa said oh, shes not even close to done. They went on up and at 120 grandpa said," i am out of speedometer want me to keep going or can i shift now?" The guy said go ahead and shift, but you can slow down alittle if you like.
Grandpa ,never letting out on the throttle then ask," is my old Studebaker fast?" the guy said o yea its fast. Grandpa said then give me my ten bucks. The guy then said ill give you your ten when we get back down to 75mph. Grandpa said that works for me eased up and got down to a safe spped to recieve his 10 dollars.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
episode 6 second gear.
Grandpa and some buddies were on a trip to Michigan to get a trunk full of mushrooms. On the way up 1 of the guys was bugging him and made the comment, Kelly, I thought this car was fast? How come you drive like an old man?
Grandpa responded by saying this car will run faster in second gear than you have ever been. That guy laughed and said ill put ten bucks on that. So grandpa being the good sport pushed the clutch in and said reach over and put it in second and we will see just how fast you want to go. So he put it in second and grandpa rolled the throttle down to wide open throttle but not enough to kick it out of overdrive. In not much time at all the were over a 100 mph. that guy said that pretty good for second. Grandpa said oh, shes not even close to done. They went on up and at 120 grandpa said," i am out of speedometer want me to keep going or can i shift now?" The guy said go ahead and shift, but you can slow down alittle if you like.
Grandpa ,never letting out on the throttle then ask," is my old Studebaker fast?" the guy said o yea its fast. Grandpa said then give me my ten bucks. The guy then said ill give you your ten when we get back down to 75mph. Grandpa said that works for me eased up and got down to a safe spped to recieve his 10 dollars.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

rusty nut garage
07-31-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm glad I've got my Grandpa's boots on :D

quote:Originally posted by 1961HAWK

episode 6 second gear.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
57 SH (project)
60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

rusty nut garage
07-31-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm glad I've got my Grandpa's boots on :D

quote:Originally posted by 1961HAWK

episode 6 second gear.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
57 SH (project)
60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

JDP
07-31-2007, 01:05 PM
It's funny how those stories evolve. I lost a drag race to Dennis at SASCO in the late 50's and we've told the story over and over. Through the years I've noticed folks would embellish the tale just a tiny bit at each telling, and we never bothering to correct each them. What started out to be a simple drag race with a funny ending, turned into the story of the century.
It is true that I spun out at the end and came close to going into a ditch. It's also true that when we met up later at the drive in I had pulled a roadside bush out by the roots with the hook on my 51's rear bumper during the spin. True too that Dennis and everyone else fell on the ground in laughter when I pulled in with the unnoticed greenery still attached. It is not true that I had pulled up a small sapling that was waving above my roof, nor was the spin out done at over 100 MPH. :)

JDP/Maryland
64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
64 GT R2
63 GT R2
63 Lark 2 door
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

JDP
07-31-2007, 01:05 PM
It's funny how those stories evolve. I lost a drag race to Dennis at SASCO in the late 50's and we've told the story over and over. Through the years I've noticed folks would embellish the tale just a tiny bit at each telling, and we never bothering to correct each them. What started out to be a simple drag race with a funny ending, turned into the story of the century.
It is true that I spun out at the end and came close to going into a ditch. It's also true that when we met up later at the drive in I had pulled a roadside bush out by the roots with the hook on my 51's rear bumper during the spin. True too that Dennis and everyone else fell on the ground in laughter when I pulled in with the unnoticed greenery still attached. It is not true that I had pulled up a small sapling that was waving above my roof, nor was the spin out done at over 100 MPH. :)

JDP/Maryland
64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
64 GT R2
63 GT R2
63 Lark 2 door
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

1961HAWK
07-31-2007, 10:15 PM
rusty nut garage do you not think my hawk will run 12o in second gear? ;)

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
07-31-2007, 10:15 PM
rusty nut garage do you not think my hawk will run 12o in second gear? ;)

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

kmul221
08-01-2007, 06:48 AM
The only fast studebaker I ever owned was a 58 Packard Hawk-it surprized a few Camero's & Mustangs but not too many Chrysler's.The 2bbl. V/8's I found 2-B a bit of a slug.

kmul221
08-01-2007, 06:48 AM
The only fast studebaker I ever owned was a 58 Packard Hawk-it surprized a few Camero's & Mustangs but not too many Chrysler's.The 2bbl. V/8's I found 2-B a bit of a slug.

8E12T6
08-02-2007, 12:36 AM
IIRC, dad's ole 51 cmdr would do 90 in 2d od and 105 in high. not bad considering it was 10 years old at the time and had been rode hard and put up wet. sorry to say it now resides in the pasture with briers and saplings, not much left. I assume the speedometer was close to correct.

pwbrown

8E12T6
08-02-2007, 12:36 AM
IIRC, dad's ole 51 cmdr would do 90 in 2d od and 105 in high. not bad considering it was 10 years old at the time and had been rode hard and put up wet. sorry to say it now resides in the pasture with briers and saplings, not much left. I assume the speedometer was close to correct.

pwbrown

1961HAWK
09-12-2007, 04:17 PM
episode 7 class and style.

Grandpa was tending bar and a car salesman came in and had a drink. While he was there he told Grandpa he should stop in and Check out the new Fords for 65 and trade his old tired Studebaker. Grandpa said he paused for a moment and asked what kinda mileage does that new ford get. The guy said about 19mph. Grandpa ask What kind a torque they were getting out of that car? They salesman said 285 ftlbs. Granpa then ask if it looked like the 64's. He said the salesman pulled out a flyer and gave it to him to look at. Grandpa said he looked at the flyer a moment then said " So i guess what your asking my if i am ready to downgrade from Class and Style to a soup can, with less torque and not near the mpg that i get now? I reckon i will hang on to my old tired studebaker a little longer." He said he said it all with a smile and that salesman never said another word just finished his beer and headed down the road.

you know i miss hearing all these old stories from him.... bet i heard them all 100 times...

Erin Hays
"From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
RZRECTD
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
09-12-2007, 04:17 PM
episode 7 class and style.

Grandpa was tending bar and a car salesman came in and had a drink. While he was there he told Grandpa he should stop in and Check out the new Fords for 65 and trade his old tired Studebaker. Grandpa said he paused for a moment and asked what kinda mileage does that new ford get. The guy said about 19mph. Grandpa ask What kind a torque they were getting out of that car? They salesman said 285 ftlbs. Granpa then ask if it looked like the 64's. He said the salesman pulled out a flyer and gave it to him to look at. Grandpa said he looked at the flyer a moment then said " So i guess what your asking my if i am ready to downgrade from Class and Style to a soup can, with less torque and not near the mpg that i get now? I reckon i will hang on to my old tired studebaker a little longer." He said he said it all with a smile and that salesman never said another word just finished his beer and headed down the road.

you know i miss hearing all these old stories from him.... bet i heard them all 100 times...

Erin Hays
RZRECTD
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

Swifster
09-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Great stories. It was definitely a different time. Do any of this now and the cops will throw you in the can and throw away the key. Back then, you might get off with a warning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/rollingpi.gif http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/01-01-05TheStartingPoint.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/07-17-07FrontClipRemoved.jpg

Swifster
09-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Great stories. It was definitely a different time. Do any of this now and the cops will throw you in the can and throw away the key. Back then, you might get off with a warning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/rollingpi.gif http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/01-01-05TheStartingPoint.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/07-17-07FrontClipRemoved.jpg

jnormanh
09-13-2007, 12:48 PM
The first car I owned, in 1964, was a '60 Hawk, just about like your grandpa's. It was a 225 hp, OD, TT car. I'd owned it for a few months, but never had driven it very fast until two of us were going to New Orleans one night. Just outside of NO is the Lake Ponchatrain bridge, 26 miles long, dead flat and dead smooth. it was 3 AM, not another car in sight, so I put my foot it it and watched the speedo wind around, way past 120, even a tad past the bottom and headed back up...about 150 indicated.

On recapped tires, on a bridge, in the middle of a lake. {shudder}

All the road tests at the time reported 110-115 MPH as top end for the 225 HP Hawks, so that speedo must have been WAY optimistic.

jnormanh
09-13-2007, 12:48 PM
The first car I owned, in 1964, was a '60 Hawk, just about like your grandpa's. It was a 225 hp, OD, TT car. I'd owned it for a few months, but never had driven it very fast until two of us were going to New Orleans one night. Just outside of NO is the Lake Ponchatrain bridge, 26 miles long, dead flat and dead smooth. it was 3 AM, not another car in sight, so I put my foot it it and watched the speedo wind around, way past 120, even a tad past the bottom and headed back up...about 150 indicated.

On recapped tires, on a bridge, in the middle of a lake. {shudder}

All the road tests at the time reported 110-115 MPH as top end for the 225 HP Hawks, so that speedo must have been WAY optimistic.

Chucks Stude
09-13-2007, 01:29 PM
An Avanti owner in Denton, Texas told me that the reason he got into Studebakers was because of a race that he was in. He had a 58 Olds and was racing down the interstate with a guy who had a 56 Chevy. They would pass each other when they could and were going flat out, when a gentleman in a 4 door president, with one arm across the back of the front seat, one hand on the wheel, passed them both up. They were both quite humbled by that experience.

Chucks Stude
09-13-2007, 01:29 PM
An Avanti owner in Denton, Texas told me that the reason he got into Studebakers was because of a race that he was in. He had a 58 Olds and was racing down the interstate with a guy who had a 56 Chevy. They would pass each other when they could and were going flat out, when a gentleman in a 4 door president, with one arm across the back of the front seat, one hand on the wheel, passed them both up. They were both quite humbled by that experience.

tstclr
09-13-2007, 01:32 PM
I love hearing stories from "The Old Days". There is a fellow named "Gord Hazlett" here in Ontario who worked in the auto business (mostly service) since the 30's. He wrote a book called "Old Auto Tales" which I really enjoyed reading. Worth picking up.
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/tstclr/larkavitar.jpg

tstclr
09-13-2007, 01:32 PM
I love hearing stories from "The Old Days". There is a fellow named "Gord Hazlett" here in Ontario who worked in the auto business (mostly service) since the 30's. He wrote a book called "Old Auto Tales" which I really enjoyed reading. Worth picking up.
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/tstclr/larkavitar.jpg

mbstude
09-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Hey, Erin, how fast have YOU gotten the Hawk up to? ;)[:o)]

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA

mbstude
09-14-2007, 06:19 PM

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA

1961HAWK
09-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Well Matthew i will tell you one of my stories will call it.
"XKE an ME"

My Bestfriend since the third grade and I attended a Car Show. This was his first time in my Hawk since about 1986 when you still had to sit on buckets platic ones... We had a great time at the show and my Hawk was looking its best but didnt trophy, not the first time so i got over it. We hung around to watch most eveyone leave so we could see the smoke fest, at this show most cars do alittle burnout as they leave. well the smoke had cleared and we headed up the road when i noticed a Jaguar XKE that had been in the show pulled over at the side of the road. So being the nice guy i am i was pulling over to help when he took off. So i pulled back in line and we were running down the hwy about 50 mph. Thats when it started Mr. XKE decided to kick it down 2 little puffs of black smoke and he was heading out. I looked at my buddy and ask "Should i let him Get away with that?" Of course he said "Heck No" so pulled in down to second and let it eat about 75 i let it go back into overdrive in second gear. By about 100mph i was back on Mr. XKE like a Hawk on a Feild mouse. By 110 i decided i got a pass him or quit, since i have never been much a quitter i pulled out. when i was right beside him i looked at him and he looked at me i reach up and put the hawk in third at almost 120mph. i thought he was going to poop himself from the expression on his face. He instantly quit i went on around got my Hawk back down to a nice little cruising speed and easied my way home. The old girl impressed Me, my Buddy and pretty sure Mr. XKE was impressed too. That is the fastest i have had my Hawk and the only time i have had it over 100. It is also the reason i know it will run 120 in second gear. I dont think She < my Hawk> would impress to many people at the drags but she is one long legged lady.

Erin Hays
RZRECTD
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
09-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Well Matthew i will tell you one of my stories will call it.
"XKE an ME"

My Bestfriend since the third grade and I attended a Car Show. This was his first time in my Hawk since about 1986 when you still had to sit on buckets platic ones... We had a great time at the show and my Hawk was looking its best but didnt trophy, not the first time so i got over it. We hung around to watch most eveyone leave so we could see the smoke fest, at this show most cars do alittle burnout as they leave. well the smoke had cleared and we headed up the road when i noticed a Jaguar XKE that had been in the show pulled over at the side of the road. So being the nice guy i am i was pulling over to help when he took off. So i pulled back in line and we were running down the hwy about 50 mph. Thats when it started Mr. XKE decided to kick it down 2 little puffs of black smoke and he was heading out. I looked at my buddy and ask "Should i let him Get away with that?" Of course he said "Heck No" so pulled in down to second and let it eat about 75 i let it go back into overdrive in second gear. By about 100mph i was back on Mr. XKE like a Hawk on a Feild mouse. By 110 i decided i got a pass him or quit, since i have never been much a quitter i pulled out. when i was right beside him i looked at him and he looked at me i reach up and put the hawk in third at almost 120mph. i thought he was going to poop himself from the expression on his face. He instantly quit i went on around got my Hawk back down to a nice little cruising speed and easied my way home. The old girl impressed Me, my Buddy and pretty sure Mr. XKE was impressed too. That is the fastest i have had my Hawk and the only time i have had it over 100. It is also the reason i know it will run 120 in second gear. I dont think She < my Hawk> would impress to many people at the drags but she is one long legged lady.

Erin Hays
RZRECTD
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

DEEPNHOCK
09-15-2007, 09:39 AM
I can tell you how fast [u]NOT</u> to go in a '61 Hawk with the windows down[B)]
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

DEEPNHOCK
09-15-2007, 09:39 AM
I can tell you how fast [u]NOT</u> to go in a '61 Hawk with the windows down[B)]
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

N8N
09-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I thought it was only Avantis that blew out the back windows?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

N8N
09-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I thought it was only Avantis that blew out the back windows?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

mbstude
09-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Great story, Erin!

My grandad once blew down the headliner in his '57 Silver Hawk while racing a Firebird I think. We've GOT to get the speedometer hooked up in that car! [:o)]

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA

mbstude
09-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Great story, Erin!

My grandad once blew down the headliner in his '57 Silver Hawk while racing a Firebird I think. We've GOT to get the speedometer hooked up in that car! [:o)]

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA

1961HAWK
09-15-2007, 03:13 PM
My Hawk was on its 3rd headliner before i got it. lost 1 hood 2 windshields.
i use to be always running 90 with my hair on fire, but anymore it takes a little incentive to wind it on up... last week i was playing in my hawk and was running it though 2nd not in overdrive and hit about 70 and the speedomter went back to zero after checking it out i found it broke right at the speedometer. i thought i had an extra but it must be off a lark because it is to short. now i got to get another i dont know if i can just replace the cable inside or not. so right now my hawk is ageless never gains a mile.

Erin Hays
RZRECTD
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
09-15-2007, 03:13 PM
My Hawk was on its 3rd headliner before i got it. lost 1 hood 2 windshields.
i use to be always running 90 with my hair on fire, but anymore it takes a little incentive to wind it on up... last week i was playing in my hawk and was running it though 2nd not in overdrive and hit about 70 and the speedomter went back to zero after checking it out i found it broke right at the speedometer. i thought i had an extra but it must be off a lark because it is to short. now i got to get another i dont know if i can just replace the cable inside or not. so right now my hawk is ageless never gains a mile.

Erin Hays
RZRECTD
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

StudeRich
09-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Hey Erin; does that thing have 3.73 R/A gears in it? That's one strong top end! [^]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
09-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Hey Erin; does that thing have 3.73 R/A gears in it? That's one strong top end! [^]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

1961HAWK
09-15-2007, 07:00 PM

Erin Hays
RZRECTD
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
09-15-2007, 07:00 PM

Erin Hays
RZRECTD
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
09-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Episode 8 " you Might be a Redneck If"

O.k. Here it goes my grandpa and uncle Quinn went Coon hunting. They Loaded the old redbone in the trunk of the Hawk, Yes the trunk. Well they got to the spot where they were getting ready to let the dog run. Grandpa was to follow the dog uncle Quinn was to meet him on the next county road a mile over. Uncle Quinn was 16 and thought all right driving the Hawk Alone. This was his first trip in the Hawk alone. He left grandpa and eased up the road until he came to a crossroad where he had to turn right. He like any other 16 year old kid with no brain and fewer skills decided to let it eat around the corner. So he took off and dumped it hard. He said it started spinning good around the corner when it hooked and propelled him strainght across about a 2 foot deep ditch. So still not being very bright he kept it floored and was spinning dirt everywhere in a field cutting back towards the road he hit the ditch again running even faster to get back on the road. After he got back on the road he got out and walked around the car to make sure there was no damage. Not seeing anything he slowly crept back to where he was to pick up grandpa. After awhile grandpa showed up and ask "do you see a wreck? I heard a lot of crashing back that way" of course uncle Quinn had not seen anything. They reloaded the coon hound back into the trunk and uncle Quinn drove Cautiously home. The next Day Grandpa had to run into town. He got in the Stuidebaker and headed down the road as he always did just as fast as he wanted. after fighting the car for a mile he pulled over checked the car out then took it home for a look. only to find both front springs broken and the left tie rod badly bent. Well it didnt take him long to figure out where those crashing sounds came from. morale of the story " dont go coon hunting in a Hawk"

Erin Hays
RZRECTD
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
09-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Episode 8 " you Might be a Redneck If"

O.k. Here it goes my grandpa and uncle Quinn went Coon hunting. They Loaded the old redbone in the trunk of the Hawk, Yes the trunk. Well they got to the spot where they were getting ready to let the dog run. Grandpa was to follow the dog uncle Quinn was to meet him on the next county road a mile over. Uncle Quinn was 16 and thought all right driving the Hawk Alone. This was his first trip in the Hawk alone. He left grandpa and eased up the road until he came to a crossroad where he had to turn right. He like any other 16 year old kid with no brain and fewer skills decided to let it eat around the corner. So he took off and dumped it hard. He said it started spinning good around the corner when it hooked and propelled him strainght across about a 2 foot deep ditch. So still not being very bright he kept it floored and was spinning dirt everywhere in a field cutting back towards the road he hit the ditch again running even faster to get back on the road. After he got back on the road he got out and walked around the car to make sure there was no damage. Not seeing anything he slowly crept back to where he was to pick up grandpa. After awhile grandpa showed up and ask "do you see a wreck? I heard a lot of crashing back that way" of course uncle Quinn had not seen anything. They reloaded the coon hound back into the trunk and uncle Quinn drove Cautiously home. The next Day Grandpa had to run into town. He got in the Stuidebaker and headed down the road as he always did just as fast as he wanted. after fighting the car for a mile he pulled over checked the car out then took it home for a look. only to find both front springs broken and the left tie rod badly bent. Well it didnt take him long to figure out where those crashing sounds came from. morale of the story " dont go coon hunting in a Hawk"

Erin Hays
RZRECTD
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire