PDA

View Full Version : Wagonaire Rack

Dick Steinkamp
04-06-2012, 07:17 PM
This week I received the rack (and other pieces) back from Jerry Forrester. They are simply beautiful! :cool: (as usual from Jerry). I also received the NOS rack stanchion gaskets from Roscomacaw. The best part of this is that Bob used some of his home grown citrus for packaging :D...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/SAM_1066.jpg

Bob knows my FAVORITE citrus is Pomelo and he loaded the box with those :p. I haven't figured out why Pomelos are not common in grocery stores. They are BY FAR the best tasting citrus going.

Thanks, Bob! :).

Oh, yea, here's the rack...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire/SAM_1058.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire/SAM_1054.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire/SAM_1053.jpg

I'm thinkin' that there ought to be a law that if you own a vintage station wagon...that it be equipped with a rack :cool:

rockne10
04-06-2012, 07:57 PM
StudeBob never disappoints. Also agree; a wagon without a rack is an empty canvas.

kmac530
04-06-2012, 08:09 PM
I am in on the rack requirments...looks awesome. You are an artist Dick. Nice work, seriously.
You also just got me all excited because I ordered some pieces from Bob a day or 2 ago and he said "you may like my packing material"....now Im gettin hungry. Never had a Pomelo that I can remember. Can't wait. You gotta love that Bob guy. I am not sure where I would be without him. A TON of folks here have been so instrumental, but none more than Bob and Warren.

Studedude
04-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Dick, on occasion, I have to remind myself that I like you.

Good progress... but you, my friend, get to enjoy more than your allotment of Stude-fun! -

And, regarding Bob... while I've never had the pleasure of enjoying his edible packing materials, I do enjoy looking around the Quonset and looking at special items he has sent me over the years... some attached to the Stude, some decorating walls/shelves.

'Tis a neat group we have assembled here, for sure.

Dick Steinkamp
04-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Dick, on occasion, I have to remind myself that I like you.

...and visa versa ;)

Good progress... but you, my friend, get to enjoy more than your allotment of Stude-fun! -

I do realize that and I'm thankful that is the case...but I'm not willing to trade any of that fun. Not even for more Pomelos :)

And, regarding Bob... while I've never had the pleasure of enjoying his edible packing materials, I do enjoy looking around the Quonset and looking at special items he has sent me over the years... some attached to the Stude, some decorating walls/shelves.

'Tis a neat group we have assembled here, for sure.

10-4 :cool:

41 Frank
04-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Lookin' good my friend!

JRoberts
04-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Lookin' good my friend!

Very good indeed:cool::D;)

StudeDave57
04-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Lookin' good my friend!

Very good indeed:cool::D;)
What those guys said!!!! One of these days I'll be able to see it live and in '3D'!!!
(without the glasses...) :D

4961Studebaker
04-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Looking great! However, every time I see new pictures I think of SCUBA tanks and gear. No surf boards for me :).

Now I'm searching for a wagonaire and Pomelos. :)

Roscomacaw
04-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Glad the fruits got there OK, Dick - and the stanchion pads too. We have Gary Ash to thank (yet AGAIN) for those pads. He had them made many moons ago and I procured some for the 66 I no longer have. So they needed a purpose to their being. :) Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure looks nice in place. Hell, evern the chrome job looks decent!

Warren Webb
04-07-2012, 09:12 AM
I dont know why it is Dick but it seems everything you seem to touch makes my socks roll up & down. Beautiful, simply beautiful. One car after another just a work of art.

Roscomacaw
04-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Yeah - Steinkamp has that effect on Stude folks. I quit wearin' socks after I met Dick. It's just easier like that!

Dick Steinkamp
04-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the rack compliments, and I do agree it looks "just right" on the car, but I had the easy part. The car as I got it from Pat came with a nice, complete, pit free rack and Jerry did the beautiful re-chrome job. All I did was bolt it on.

Bob...on the pads. Gary had told me that he had new seals made, but I thought he was talking about the long ones that go under the 5 stainless runners on the roof. My seals there were actually OK. Maybe I mis understood him...or maybe he had BOTH types made up? In any case, I appreciate that you found and sent those that you did.

Roscomacaw
04-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah, he had both made. I actually looked around here, thinking I'd bought some of the runner stuff too. Concluded I hadn't since I could scare it up.

Dick Steinkamp
04-07-2012, 02:30 PM
New favorite...blood oranges :D...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/SAM_1069.jpg

Sweet as sugar with a flavor all their own. Just amazing! :eek:

Green53
04-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Wow!!! That wagon is looking great. Another show piece in the making.

Denny L

garyash
04-07-2012, 04:26 PM
I had extrusions made for the 5 slats, still have lots of material if anyone needs a set at $40. I cut the pads for the feet from flat sheets.

s2dwagon
04-07-2012, 04:29 PM
[I'm thinkin' that there ought to be a law that if you own a vintage station wagon...that it be equipped with a rack

I agree, and I"m looking for a rack for my Conestoga. Anyone know where I can find one? I don't like breaking the law.

Scott

SN-60
04-07-2012, 07:19 PM
To: rockne10,---- I like that,..."a wagon without a rack is an empty canvas"....well said!

Milaca
04-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Gosh, with that roof rack complete, I wonder how many crates of citrus one could haul with a Wagonaire? ;)

Roscomacaw
04-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Dick's welcome to find out - come next January or so. (Dick - bring your own crates)

Dick Steinkamp
04-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Dick's welcome to find out - come next January or so. (Dick - bring your own crates)

According to the commercial, it should hold quite a few crates (or two kids, a dog, and a slide :eek:)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOm5P1AkUi4

SN-60
04-08-2012, 05:42 PM
To: Dick Steinkamp,-----Looking at photos of You Wagonaire reminded Me of a similar car that a Friend of Mine bought about 18 years ago. My Friend Joe King of Braintree, Mass., (Who unfortunately passed away a few years ago), Found and
purchased an Ermine White '63 Wagonaire, with I believe a red interior. The car had a bit of typical New England rust on it, but wasn't heavily 'rotted'. The unusual thing about Joe's wagon was that it was fitted at the factory with the R-2
supercharged Avanti engine and a four speed transmission. I remember it had a 4-speed streamer adjacent to the body tag. The engine ran strong, but would occasionally blow gasoline out the accelerator pump shaft. It seemed to Me at the
time that it was more unusual someone would order a 4-speed transmission in a wagon, than order the supercharged engine option. There couldn't have been many built like that! Joe sold that car after the novelty wore off to someone
who I think lived in New Hampshire. It's since fallen off the radar screen, but I hope it was left intact and not parted.

Chucks Stude
04-08-2012, 09:27 PM
What kind of paint did Pat use on the wagon? It seems to have a great shine.

Dick Steinkamp
04-08-2012, 09:41 PM
What kind of paint did Pat use on the wagon? It seems to have a great shine.

I'm not sure of the brand, but it is base/clear.

I had to color sand some scratches out of an area and it took me forever to buff out the 2000 grit sanding scratches. Wool bonnet and Mequiars Diamond cut. The paint has cured for a couple of years but even so, it is the hardest I have ever seen.

Chucks Stude
04-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Interesting. Oh, blood oranges are great to cook with. Their flavor goes great with balsamic vinegar.

parts
04-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Nice Rack..!
Uh..in a deep manly voice..

garrilla
12-28-2014, 08:32 PM
I had extrusions made for the 5 slats, still have lots of material if anyone needs a set at $40. I cut the pads for the feet from flat sheets.
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I been looking for these slat gaskets and not having any luck. I've PM'ed and emailed garyash without any response. Can anyone give me a source for these roof rack gaskets?

garyash
12-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Garilla: PM sent. My spam filter may have blocked you. Sorry.

garrilla
12-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Garilla: PM sent. My spam filter may have blocked you. Sorry.

Thanks for the quick reply Gary, I replied to your PM with a request for paypal invoice.

58PackardWagon
12-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Dick you do beautiful work!!

57pack
12-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Amen!:!: I can only hope my Wagonaire will look as nice as yours...someday:o

Dick Steinkamp
12-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks, Joe and William. I bought the car from Pat Drnec who used to hang out here. Pat did the heavy lifting. He found the rust free desert car, tore it down to nothing and had a pro do the body and base/clear paint. I just put it together when Pat decided not to complete the project. Here's a few pictures...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99691157@N00/sets/72157639635533874/

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3689/11879198574_04a66da7bf_b.jpg

I finished the car about a year ago and sold it shortly after.

studeclunker
12-30-2014, 12:22 AM
I dont know why it is Dick but it seems everything you seem to touch makes my socks roll up & down. Beautiful, simply beautiful. One car after another just a work of art.
Socks rollup &down??? ROFLMAO!! 40185

That is one beautiful car and I envy the new owner. 40186