PDA

View Full Version : Spotted on California 101 on 4/3/2012 Need Prayers for SilverhawkDan

Anne F. Goodman
04-06-2012, 11:01 AM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/BobbyG25/DSC_5109.jpg
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/BobbyG25/DSC_5113.jpg
Thanks to Kurtruk I was aware that I might see this. We had a job in Santa Maria and I couldn't believe my eyes I saw the back of ,way up ahead. I was able to snap these going 65 down the 101 and no I wasn't driving. Silverhawkdan I have big files of these if you want me to send them to you. Might be a TW cover shot . The guys and Gals here will let us know.

2R5
04-06-2012, 11:12 AM
if that old fella was doing 65 he musta had that engine wound right out .....thanks for the pics.

kurtruk
04-06-2012, 11:47 AM
The last two Wednesday mornings I've also seen a very, very nice dark blue '53 sedan with a surf board on top entering the freeway (US 101) at Pismo Beach. SilverHawkDan, do you know who that is?

52-fan
04-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Looks like a possible cover to me. Good shooting.

dean pearson
04-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Thats cool stuff,...
I thinkthat would be a nice cover !

Dean.

kmac530
04-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks for posting those pics Anne, Bob is one cool cat in that rig.

bob40
04-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm Did Mickey make his way to the west coast?
Long time newsgroup members might remember that name

Studedude
04-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Long time newsgroup members might remember that name
What ever happened to Mickey?

Thinking of him brought back memories of other once active folks in our little world.

Sure miss 'em!

mbstude
04-06-2012, 09:24 PM
What ever happened to Mickey?

Thinking of him brought back memories of other once active folks in our little world.

Sure miss 'em!

Mickey's old truck was a Champ with a bed topper. I've wondered about Mickey too, he was good friends with my grandparents and I knew him long before I was ever on the internet. One of the last Studes he owned, a '55 Commander sedan is now owned by a guy here in the Atlanta area.

41 Frank
04-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Anybody that knows him can plainly see that the driver is a disguised studebob aka roscomacaw out for a test drive in his latest acquisition! Ok....I see you guys aren't buying into that. Sorry Bob. >G>

Studedude
04-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Mickey's old truck was a Champ with a bed topper.
I remember paying the fee at the drag strip, which allowed/persuaded/encouraged/(shamed) "Mel" to run her Champ against Mick's Champ at either South Bend, or Charlotte.... (South Bend, '02, methinks.)

Sad to say, I can't remember who won, but I do recall that a good time was had by all....

The resulting race was not a fast one, by any stretch, but it needed to be done, and did keep us entertained much longer than a faster race might have.

I know I only fell asleep twice during that race, and that's saying something, because, IIRC, that particular race lasted somewhere around a day and a half... just a day or so shy of Gary Ash's run.

<GGG>

Mel and Mick are but 2 of the many Stude personalities I think of from time to time, and miss hearing from.

Hope all is well with Mel, Mick, and all the others.

Friends come and go... I would like it much better if they would just stay.

StudeDave57
04-06-2012, 11:30 PM
{SWEEET pics}
Thanks to Kurtruk I was aware that I might see this. We had a job in Santa Maria and I couldn't believe my eyes I saw the back way up ahead. I was able to snap these going 65 down the 101 and no I wasn't driving. Silverhawkdan I have big files of these if you want me to send them to you. Might be a TW cover shot . The guys and Gals here will let us know.
Pictures like that inspire me to get movin' on my StudeBus...

so just as soon as I can do so- I WILL!!!!!
(I have plans for 2013...) :rolleyes:

SilverHawkDan
04-07-2012, 12:41 AM
So I see I have a stalker. I was told today that I had better not commit any crimes in that truck as they will know exactly where to look. Nice pictures. I remember when they were taken. I saw the passenger of a black? work truck take a picture and then turn around to take some more. You should have waved me over I would have follwed you off the Main Street ramp so you could get some more pics. I am having a great time with the truck. I give history lessons often. Had a guy ask me yesterday if I was going to paint it several shades of candy apple red. I told him no, I have no plans to paint it for now. I would like copies of those pics. I will PM you with my addy. Thanks a lot for helping me share the good fortune that I have been blessed with.
Dan

SilverHawkDan
04-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Oh for the record. 289, 3 speed with OD, 4.88 ratio. 65 mph=2200 rpm. Plans are in place for 4.30 gears. And yes, it has surprised quite a few people. Too much fun if you ask me.
Dan
I don't know who owns the 53 and have not seen it yet. Did see a White 60 or 61 Hawk on Thomson road on Monday. Don't know that one either.

clonelark
04-07-2012, 02:02 AM
I think it needs Pink curtians, blue clashes with the pink. Wish i had that truck. Love it

SilverHawkDan
04-07-2012, 10:46 AM
clonelark,
The curtains are my fault. I love all things Hawaii so I picked out the fabric. My wife is going to redo them in a more period correct fabric as she wants the rig to look "vintage". So I will have her turn the curtains into something for me. Like you I too love the camper.
Dan

SilverHawkDan
04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
This has been a tough month. I have been feeling not right. Feared the worse and I was right. Spent most of Tuesday night in the ER. I was having problems swallowing and they were worried my airway would close off. They did a CT scan and found a large mass at the base of my tongue. Had a biopsy today and it looked like the last four so it would appear my cancer is back big time. Waiting for the results and a meeting with the oncologist. I would appreciate your prayers and good thoughts. I figure I'm like a cat and have nine lives so I still have four to go. I will post updates as they develope.
Dan

Studedude
04-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Prayers being sent, Dan.

Anne F. Goodman
04-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Wow so sorry to hear that we are thinking of you Good thoughts sending your way.

StudeDave57
04-13-2012, 01:01 AM
I would appreciate your prayers and good thoughts. Dan
There's no question- a wish like that is my command.
I have made it so!!!

StudeDave '57 :cool:

avantilover
04-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Good vibes coming at you from the Aussie mob.

Roscomacaw
04-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Dan - intensely positive thoughts beaming your way from my desk! I've been beating back a recurring staph infection since it surfaced in my left leg last week. The anti-biotics are winning - one more time. This has been going on since '88. It almost "took me" in '88, but I was just ornery enough and lucky enough that the docs pulled me back from oblivion. The key is - don't think anything but that you're gonna kick it! Besides, we need as many Studes to beautify California hiways as is possible! Get well and get back behind the wheel.

kmac530
04-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Man Dan, I am sorry to hear that. Fight on my friend and just like Rich, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

allstateguy
04-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Dan, I'll pray for you and your recovery. That is scary stuff, I know. Look for good news around the next corner.

1962larksedan
04-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Dan: hang in there. Hopefully the Dr's can 'nuke' that cancer away.

SilverHawkDan
04-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. They must be working as I can now swallow food again. I even managed to work a half day today. This is the hardest part, waiting to hear what they find and what will be done aobut it. Heard they are trying to get a PET scan scheduled so they can see if it has spread to any place else. Sure hope not. Signing up for the new robotic surgery. A lot less invasive and they don't have to break your jaw to get the tumor out. So I will keep you posted as things happen. Again I say Thank You.
Dan

Sdude
04-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Dan,

You are a true inspitation as you have been dealing with this mess for some time now. Every day is a gift from God and you are making the most of them.

Your life would make a great movie. Let's see, who would play the lead role? How about George Clooney....?

In my prayers

55champion
04-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Your in our prayers ...

dnevin
04-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Good, positive thoughts headed your way Dan. Excellent news that they appear to be making progress.

Roscomacaw
04-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Good News! Positive thoughts headed your way!

55 56 PREZ 4D
04-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Hey Dan:
What an awesome sight it is to see the camper flying down 101.
Saw you heading south about 12:00 on Saturday. I was in the 55 heading north to Pozo.
Prayers go out to you.
Studebaker Dan of the Lompoc Mafia

Pat Dilling
04-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Prayers are coming your way.

(S)
04-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Hang in there Dan! Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Dad says hi and he sends his best!

Cash
04-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Prayers from the Hargetts in North Texas..

JRoberts
04-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Dan please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. They are coming up with new and fantastic treatments all the time these days. I hope one of these can make your recovery an easier process.

clonelark
04-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Best of luck with your next report, hang in there.

Anne F. Goodman
04-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Any updates?

SilverHawkDan
05-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Anne and all of my friennds and fans at SDC.
Update. I met with the doctor on Friday. So far things are going well. Still healing from the effects of seven weeks of radiation to my neck. Swallowing better and I even gained three pounds in three months. Doesn't seem like much but the first weight gain in eleven months. I was at 163 on a 6 foot 2 frame. Blood pressure is up to 122 over 66 and the dizziness in lessening. The fatigue is less frequent. Will have a PET scan next month to see if they got it all. Last two have shown issues but were attributed to tissue still healing. So all in all things are very blessed health wise.

On the camper front I have put it up for sale and after the Ebay and other trials have set the price at what we consider a very reasonable price. If it doesn't sell soon and I get a clean bill of health I just might consider doing the unthinkable and remove the camper and turn the truck into a nostalgia ramp truck for towing the race car for Dutch Treat Racing and others. Here is a link to the ad on craigslist
http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/3816360101.html
As you who follow me know I change my mind as the days go by so who knows. I will try to remember to post an update after I get my PET scan results.
Dan

Bullet
05-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Dan,

I saw the truck/camper at the Vintage Trailer rally this weekend at Pismo Beach. Looked beautiful! I know it will sell, fit right in with all the other vintage trailers.

Mark

Warren Webb
05-20-2013, 02:13 AM
So good to see your post again Dan. It is encouraging to hear your making progress, just keep it going! Your truck is so cool with all that vintage patina so no matter what you do with it, it will be a testament of Studebakers.

Commander Eddie
05-20-2013, 09:23 AM
if that old fella was doing 65 he musta had that engine wound right out .....thanks for the pics.

Dan and Kathy were on their way to a vintage trailer event in the hopes of selling this rig. Dan has put a lot of work into it and will make a great camper for someone. The camper shell itself was custom fitted on the truck when it was new by an outfit in Idaho, I believe.
Dan has put a new engine in it and I think he changed the rear end for better fuel economy on the highway. This is the truck he used to tow the "Bucket List Dream" Burke Avanti to Bonneville and El Mirage. Oh, and "that old fella" is only 60. Still a Spring chicken.
The last time I spoke to Dan he sounded pretty good. He is still struggling with his cancer but he has a lot of fight in him.

Commander Eddie
05-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Anne and all of my friennds and fans at SDC.
Update. I met with the doctor on Friday. So far things are going well. Still healing from the effects of seven weeks of radiation to my neck. Swallowing better and I even gained three pounds in three months. Doesn't seem like much but the first weight gain in eleven months. I was at 163 on a 6 foot 2 frame. Blood pressure is up to 122 over 66 and the dizziness in lessening. The fatigue is less frequent. Will have a PET scan next month to see if they got it all. Last two have shown issues but were attributed to tissue still healing. So all in all things are very blessed health wise.

On the camper front I have put it up for sale and after the Ebay and other trials have set the price at what we consider a very reasonable price. If it doesn't sell soon and I get a clean bill of health I just might consider doing the unthinkable and remove the camper and turn the truck into a nostalgia ramp truck for towing the race car for Dutch Treat Racing and others. Here is a link to the ad on craigslist
http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/3816360101.html
As you who follow me know I change my mind as the days go by so who knows. I will try to remember to post an update after I get my PET scan results.
Dan

Dan, you surely do change your mind a lot. The idea of the ramp truck is a surprise. It would be might cool, however. Glad to hear your are feeling better. I told Jo Anne you guys were going to a vintage trailer gig and she got all excited. I'll show here the photos that Anne took to prove you went. Hope you had a great time. The truck looks good. I am seeing a lot more vehicles that have been left with their "patina" so you must be on to something.

Commander Eddie
05-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Dan,
So glad to hear that you and Kathy made it to the Vintage Trailer rally. If we were close Jo Anne and I would have brought her 1964 Aloha trailer down towed behind my '61 Champ. Hope you two had a great time. Any nibbles on the camper? If you end up keeping it you and Kathy should come up to Oregon for a visit before you turn it into a flatbed truck. I'd love to introduce you to some of the folks at the NW chapter of the SDC. We also have lots of Studebaker events going on this summer.
I hope you are feeling better again real soon. Remember, I am the oldest brother. I'm supposed to go first. So hang in there.
And I want to thank Anne for posting photos of you guys gunning down the highway. I'm sure that is a smile on your face, Dan.