Tie rod shape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Tie rod shape?

My '49 C-cab has an interference issue with the right side tie rod. It has been converted to a V8 35+ years ago but kind of mickey mouse...solid and safe but oddly done. It all works just fine over all, but I want to lower it a bit more and it already hits the oil pan when I turn to the left.

The tie rod has a slight bend in it, maybe 20 degrees or less about in the middle, but that is to the right side of the motor so when you turn to the left the tie rod is running up hill to the inner tie rod end on the pitman arm and hits the oil pan.
    I am wondering if I straighten out the bend that is there, but I put a bend right next to the inner tie rod end so that the straight section of the tie rod that is straight and kind of level is longer, and the bent upward section is shorter, BUT, a steeper bend angle, like 40*, will that mess up my steering feel or geometery?

OR, would it be better to come out level a little bit from the inner TR end then make a "U" shape under the pan, then straight towards the outer TR end at the spindle?

I do realize that straightening and re-bending may not be good, but when I find a shape that works good I will probably make an all new center section out of new stock, and I have a commercial tubing bender at my avail so no worries on that front. I just need input as to what would be the best direction to start out with?

No problem with what you want to do. On my T-cab that is what I have done.

Comment

Is it better to just move the single bend over, Or to bend a U into it?

Comment

Every one is different. Custom to your application. I converted from a 63 8E with a side link to a cross steer with a rack and moved the tie rod above the springs.

Comment

Kelly, I put some pics. up on the Racing Studebaker site on my T-cab project so you can see.

Comment

Working...
          X